2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Shaun Hamilton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i didnt think of that. Thanks a lot. i will do that today

Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as I'm concerned. The longer you wait without at least trying to replace the sensors/solenoid and have the bands adjusted, you are just doing more damage. Do what as been suggested and you might very well have no problem, or at least pro long the inevitable.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Shaun Hamilton

Slight update on the trans. When i was pulling into my drive to drop the trailer it would not make it up the hill. I put it into manual 1 and started rolling back as i was trying to go. Had to get a big running start and she make it. Checked the fluid and it was clean but that burnt smell. The dip stick was very very hot. Could those solenoids cause it to act like that? Bands need adjusted? Knowing my luck shes gone. Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Shaun Hamilton

I go Wednesday to get the work done. Thanks a lot for you help

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Shaun Hamilton

it could be in my head but, i was double checking fluid level (warm and in neutral ) and the trans cooler was very hot. just at idle. and the fluid ans dip stick was red hot again. I didnt move the truck i just let it warm up by idle. The fluid level was at the bottom line of the ok cross hairs. I thought about adding lucus. Just want to be able to drive it to the shop without messing it up more. Any more thoughts?

I'm still going to do the sensor / solenoids, band adjustment, and service on Wednesday.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If fluid smells burnt, I would suspect that frictions are burned up and will need a rebuild. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Shaun Hamilton
it could be in my head but, i was double checking fluid level (warm and in neutral ) and the trans cooler was very hot. just at idle. and the fluid ans dip stick was red hot again. I didnt move the truck i just let it warm up by idle. The fluid level was at the bottom line of the ok cross hairs. I thought about adding lucus. Just want to be able to drive it to the shop without messing it up more. Any more thoughts?

I'm still going to do the sensor / solenoids, band adjustment, and service on Wednesday.
Have you done the "check valve delete" ?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Shaun Hamilton
lol hope your wrong too...Check valve delete? lol dont even know what that is. well backing up it is bucking until about few mph then it stops. I was thinking i could be wrong but i had it at ammco transmission and they looked it over. Dropped the pan and everything. they put i believe 5 fresh quarts of fluid. wonder if maybe wrong fluid? It gotten really bad since then

Well, in the FAQ/DIY section you'll find threads about the check valve delete. As far as Ammco goes, good luck. Seems like your not one for doing your own work. If that's the case, plan on spending a lot of money.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Shaun Hamilton

lol hope your wrong too...Check valve delete? lol dont even know what that is. well backing up it is bucking until about few mph then it stops. I was thinking i could be wrong but i had it at ammco transmission and they looked it over. Dropped the pan and everything. they put i believe 5 fresh quarts of fluid. wonder if maybe wrong fluid? It gotten really bad since then

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Shaun Hamilton

I dont mind doing my own work if i knew what i was doing. Ammco offered a free check. This was before all this happened. I dont mind changing the solenoid myself i saw them when i did the srevice. Really not sure about the band adjustment.

Quick Reply: trans problem