2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changed header gasket now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Are you getting injector pulse? Are the plugs on the side that wasn't hooked up wet? (gas fouled) What brand plugs? (In my experience, champion plugs, once they get wet, need to be pulled, and cleaned, before they will fire again.)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have auto lites. They were gas fouled, but there was no changeonce I cleaned them. How could I check injector pulse?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd suggest you pull both VCs, and the cap, all plugs, and fuel system relay.

Turn the motor manually at the h/b bolt. Find TDC #1 using the H/B mark to the timing cover and the rotor. This assumes you've not pulled that rotor out at all. Only that you took cap off like you said.

Once you verify TDC #1 just simply like this you would also notice if turning the motor manually was w/o effort. It darn should be. If not, then there may be some physical obstruction.

Do this and report back.

I think we/I are all presuming you've got the header back on all good and tight and quad-checked your grounds again.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I'd suggest you pull both VCs, and the cap, all plugs, and fuel system relay.

Turn the motor manually at the h/b bolt. Find TDC #1 using the H/B mark to the timing cover and the rotor. This assumes you've not pulled that rotor out at all. Only that you took cap off like you said.

Once you verify TDC #1 just simply like this you would also notice if turning the motor manually was w/o effort. It darn should be. If not, then there may be some physical obstruction.

Do this and report back.

I think we/I are all presuming you've got the header back on all good and tight and quad-checked your grounds again.

I'm all for getting my motor running, but do you think it really could of jumped time? And of yea I for got to write in my other post that the truck started and ran rough yesterday. I hadn't even done anything to it. It just fixed it's self fir that one start

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's difficult to figure out where you are with your posts. I'm just suggesting something to at least check for smooth rotation, air out the cylinders, and dry out the plugs.

There would be another step I might give you, like clean your TB and sensors.

OR only re-touch the stuff that you TOUCHED in the first place. Retrace everything. Diagnosis is hard on the 'net...especially when you forget to add some info previously.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
It's difficult to figure out where you are with your posts. I'm just suggesting something to at least check for smooth rotation, air out the cylinders, and dry out the plugs.

There would be another step I might give you, like clean your TB and sensors.

OR only re-touch the stuff that you TOUCHED in the first place. Retrace everything. Diagnosis is hard on the 'net...especially when you forget to add some info previously.
When I get back from AutoZone I'll check for rotation. Tb and sensors have been cleaned. I'm about to change plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. And there is air coming out of the cylinders when I try to start it

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank sensor?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, as well am confused, but just for kicks, check the ohms on your coil to see if there up to spec.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I, as well am confused, but just for kicks, check the ohms on your coil to see if there up to spec.
+1 maybe you shorted something out with all those wires hanging not connected to anything... is it blue spark or orange?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I don't remember, but my battery is dead now so as soon a it's charged up then I'll check. What color is it supposed be?

Quick Reply: changed header gasket now no start