2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My driveshaft departed from the truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ooops, wrong thread... My bad. Gettin' tired. Need to quit getting up at 5:00AM.....
Hahaha I'm pretty sure you and everyone else has noticed me doing that a lot lately...

Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ooops, wrong thread... My bad. Gettin' tired. Need to quit getting up at 5:00AM.....

If I get up at that time.....somebody's going to get hurt!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Yeah, I used to drive an hour each way to work and back, and I actually ENJOYED it... (driving my Trans Am, or, later on, My Firebird Formula....) Gave me a chance to wake up.... I don't wanna do that any more....

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, since we're completely off topic here, I noticed the OP's name is Moss500Berg, and I'm going to take it further off topic. I assume you own a mossberg 500, and would like your opinion, plus the opinions of any others that feel like chiming in. I'll be in the market to buy my first shotgun here soon, and I've been going back n forth with the mossberg 500 and the 535. The 535 shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells, where the 500 only shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. The 535 also weighs in at 6.75 lbs, where the 500 weighs in at 7.5 lbs. For those reasons, I'm leaning toward the 535, but the 500 has been around for ages, and from reviews I've read is a great gun. There aren't too many reviews for the 535. This next season will be my 2nd season hunting. Last season, after finally taking hunters safety at the age of 26, I borrowed a mossberg 500 from a guy at work, but I swear there are no pheasants left in Nebraska, so I didn't even get to shoot it. After walking a good 5 miles worth of fields on 3 different expeditions, the 7.5 pound 500 wasn't a burden by any means, but 6.75lbs would be nice. This year, I'll be turkey hunting, and pheasant hunting, and 3 inch shells are plenty large enough for both birds. Although I still have a full box of 2 3/4 inch shells, that didn't get used last season. I'm very inexperienced, and don't even know what you'd be shooting with 3 1/2 inch shells. Both guns are nearly the same price, but do you think it'd be worthwhile to invest in the gun, that can fire all 3 shells??? Or just stick with the well reviewed 500, and call it a day?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
So, since we're completely off topic here, I noticed the OP's name is Moss500Berg, and I'm going to take it further off topic. I assume you own a mossberg 500, and would like your opinion, plus the opinions of any others that feel like chiming in. I'll be in the market to buy my first shotgun here soon, and I've been going back n forth with the mossberg 500 and the 535. The 535 shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells, where the 500 only shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. The 535 also weighs in at 6.75 lbs, where the 500 weighs in at 7.5 lbs. For those reasons, I'm leaning toward the 535, but the 500 has been around for ages, and from reviews I've read is a great gun. There aren't too many reviews for the 535. This next season will be my 2nd season hunting. Last season, after finally taking hunters safety at the age of 26, I borrowed a mossberg 500 from a guy at work, but I swear there are no pheasants left in Nebraska, so I didn't even get to shoot it. After walking a good 5 miles worth of fields on 3 different expeditions, the 7.5 pound 500 wasn't a burden by any means, but 6.75lbs would be nice. This year, I'll be turkey hunting, and pheasant hunting, and 3 inch shells are plenty large enough for both birds. Although I still have a full box of 2 3/4 inch shells, that didn't get used last season. I'm very inexperienced, and don't even know what you'd be shooting with 3 1/2 inch shells. Both guns are nearly the same price, but do you think it'd be worthwhile to invest in the gun, that can fire all 3 shells??? Or just stick with the well reviewed 500, and call it a day?
Everyone poops. Believe it.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

This same thing happened to my dad. What made it really suck was it was I'm his 80 Bette. The driveshaft chewed right through the fiberglass floor. The shop that he paid $2200 to do his custom tranny swap denied it being their fault. Lesson I learned is to always replace I joints.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
After laughing for a few minutes, I tried to find some meaning in this...I couldn't.
By the way, I meant to ask you, didn't Norman just get hit by a tornado, last weekend or 2 ago? Could have been a different town, but I thought they'd said Norman. Hope things are well there.

And if I have to get back on topic, one of our moving trucks is a late 70's chevy chassis cab, with a big ol' moving box on the back....Well, these things are piles, and one day, cruising down the interstate in 4 high, on the split shift, truck just loses power, and coasts to a stop on the shoulder. Then I notice the driveshaft remains about 50 yards back, in the middle of the interstate, twisted up like a pretzel. I didn't hear or notice the actual breaking, cause our exhausts aren't exactly up to par, and the 350 screams while on the interstate. After getting the truck towed back to our warehouse, we get in the back, and the driveshaft had beaten a hole in the wooden floor of the box. Was quite a sight.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Except girls.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by bekins01ram

Go for the 535. That way if you ever want to use the longer (and more expensive shells) you can. I personally like the Berretta shotguns, but they are pricey. Mossberg is a good firearm.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moss500berg
THANK YOU! I got the yoke off this evening. Now when I go about putting the new one in, is there a torque spec to tighten it back down to? Or how does one go about that?
Go to the dealership, get a new pinion nut and assemble with red loctite on the threads. Minimum torque is 250 lbs/ft. You can go higher, but don't go less.

The new nut is important, so is the loctite, and the torque.

Last edited by Arde; 04-18-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: My driveshaft departed from the truck