2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My driveshaft departed from the truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd replace that yoke.

my limited experience with replacing pinion seals is that the torque is super tight, and beyond my limited ability to measure it. this is how i've done it...

jack up vehicle, remove tires, adjust out or push back brake calipers to remove brake drag. to be scientific, use a 1/4 inch beam style torque wrench and measure the rotational resistance of the pinion. not the breakover amount, but the sustained amount of rotation. it'll be something like 25 inch pounds (check manual). using a punch, make a reference mark on both the pinion shaft and pinion nut and count the exposed threads. place a drain pan under the diff, block the pinion or wheels and use an impact wrench to remove the pinion nut. it'll be 200+ pounds. remove yoke, might require a hammer. replace seal. use a good National brand, not a cheapy and not a timken. replace pinion and retorque nut back to the original punch mark, and then go another approx 1/8 round. measure the rotational torque, it should be back to the same approx 25 inch pounds (check this I might be off some).

i'd also remove diff cover and inspect everything. clean the magnet, look for surprises, change the fluid.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-19-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
moss500berg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
So, since we're completely off topic here, I noticed the OP's name is Moss500Berg, and I'm going to take it further off topic. I assume you own a mossberg 500, and would like your opinion, plus the opinions of any others that feel like chiming in. I'll be in the market to buy my first shotgun here soon, and I've been going back n forth with the mossberg 500 and the 535. The 535 shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shells, where the 500 only shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. The 535 also weighs in at 6.75 lbs, where the 500 weighs in at 7.5 lbs. For those reasons, I'm leaning toward the 535, but the 500 has been around for ages, and from reviews I've read is a great gun. There aren't too many reviews for the 535. This next season will be my 2nd season hunting. Last season, after finally taking hunters safety at the age of 26, I borrowed a mossberg 500 from a guy at work, but I swear there are no pheasants left in Nebraska, so I didn't even get to shoot it. After walking a good 5 miles worth of fields on 3 different expeditions, the 7.5 pound 500 wasn't a burden by any means, but 6.75lbs would be nice. This year, I'll be turkey hunting, and pheasant hunting, and 3 inch shells are plenty large enough for both birds. Although I still have a full box of 2 3/4 inch shells, that didn't get used last season. I'm very inexperienced, and don't even know what you'd be shooting with 3 1/2 inch shells. Both guns are nearly the same price, but do you think it'd be worthwhile to invest in the gun, that can fire all 3 shells??? Or just stick with the well reviewed 500, and call it a day?
I had a 500 at one time, its been my screen name on forums for a long time though. But right now i have a Remington 870, and i like it much better than the 500, it feels better built IMO

Originally Posted by Arde
Go to the dealership, get a new pinion nut and assemble with red loctite on the threads. Minimum torque is 250 lbs/ft. You can go higher, but don't go less.

The new nut is important, so is the loctite, and the torque.
Why the new nut? The old one looked good when i pulled it off, the threads were all good. Is it the same deal as the front axle wheel hub spindle nuts? I can get one sent down to my dealership from the Dodge dealer a couple blocks away while im at work today

And thanks for the help man! This thread got derailed haha

BTW the yoke is OFF and going to the driveshaft people TODAY

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Hey, did you get another shaft yet? If not, where ya at, and is your truck a short bed? Guy near me is parting out a 97, and has the driveshaft laying under the truck. (center punched a deer...... totaled the truck.)

Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

If it was fine before that then they did it! threaten them or else...........

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

He installed it.......

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP: Take it back to yourself and beat yourself over the head with the driveshaft, scream at yourself something about poor installation, and DEMAND a refund. Then don't leave your driveway until you have refunded yourself or fixed your truck. That will teach you.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2x1972
OP: Take it back to yourself and beat yourself over the head with the driveshaft, scream at yourself something about poor installation, and DEMAND a refund. Then don't leave your driveway until you have refunded yourself or fixed your truck. That will teach you.
ROFL, Can you imagine being his neighbor as all this is going on. I'd be rollin'

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM
moss500berg
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hey, did you get another shaft yet? If not, where ya at, and is your truck a short bed? Guy near me is parting out a 97, and has the driveshaft laying under the truck. (center punched a deer...... totaled the truck.)
Yeah i already got one, its brand new. But thanks man!

And the driveshaft place has to order me a new yoke from Cali, should be here in 1-3 more days. Because apparently we dont have a single one in the state of Oklahoma anywhere.

I try to put on new parts as much as possible, to bump up the trucks value as much as possible to counter the rediculous milage on the odometer. I have thought about getting a junkyard gauge cluster with less miles on it haha

Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

What are these rediculous miles you speak of?
I'm on my phone and can't see your sig if it's listed there

Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM
moss500berg
Professional

270,000 on the odometer right now, like 87,000 on the motor and maybe 150 miles on the tranny.

Quick Reply: My driveshaft departed from the truck