2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
kyntar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram 1500

Hello first time poster here. My name is Brian and I live in Maine. OK enough about me. I have a Ram 1500 5.9L extended cab truck. Problem started all at once. I was pulling up to a stop sign and truck was running smooth. As I accelerated away truck started missing and very hesitantly taking gas I babied it the block home. It at that moment had a rotten egg smell. The next day without a scan tool I removed the plug wires and found 3 very corroded at the post. Replaced plugs wires cap and rotor. and still missing and not accepting fuel. Yesterday I was finally able to borrow a code scanner and got 3 codes. (sorry did't write code # down) Codes were map/Baro sensor high output, Cylinder 6 injector high input, Cylinder 5 misfire. I replaced the map sensor today and no change truck is still missing and hesitantly accepting fuel. Pulling O2 sensor tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Reset codes, (disconnect the battery for a few minutes) and see which ones come back.

You can do the key trick to get codes without a scanner. Just cycle the key on/off three times, leaving it on the third time (don't start truck), and it will display codes on the odometer.

Need to put an ohm meter on injector 6, and see what ya get. Should be right around 12 ohms....

Check out the plenum thread..... stickied at the top of this forum.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

I always thought the rotten egg smell was a sign of a bad/ clogged cat. I'd agree with pulling the front 02 sensor to see if it runs any better. If so, I'd go with the cat. And yes, read the plenum thread, as it's a major contributor to the cats going bad, and causing misfires and the such.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
kyntar

OK Read the plenum thread and did some other checks. Seems like it is going to be the common thing. Gonna pull plenum this week-end and put a new gasket on it.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

By "putting a new gasket on" I hope you mean the whole kit.
Read the plenum thread more carefully, replacing just the gasket temporarily solves the problem for only a little while until it blows out again. You need a kit with a thicker plenum plate like the ones from Hughes Engines.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Also, it's not just the thickness of the plate that causes the problems, it is the two dissimilar metals. Stock uses a stainless steel plate on the aluminum manifold. the two metals expand and contract at different rates causing loss of clamping force and gasket weakness over time. Also the factory bolts are slightly too long and can bottom out before reaching intended torque. Def worth getting an aluminum pan from ebay.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aluminum plate is not necessary. It just happens to be the "Miracle fix" because it is thicker, allowing the factory bolts to torque correctly. Shorter bolts will do the trick just fine, the dissimilar metals make no real difference.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no, are we going to start the plenum plate debate again?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be cool to get a poll started about who on DF believes its the plate at fault or just the bolt length.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Originally Posted by gertie240
Oh no, are we going to start the plenum plate debate again?
Nah, 6 one way - half-dozen the other. It all boils down to a poor design. Thank you dodge. But for all it's faults I love my 2nd gen Ram.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 1500