2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

biggest lift cam with stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
my99ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can i use my stock retainers and locks?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Replace locks and retainers with the springs... you can usually get them as a set anyway. That way, you KNOW they will work.

Lumpy idle from the cam generally implies a cam that is designed for higher RPM power than what you are looking for. (and would be a really poor match for the kegger intake.)

Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my99ram
can i use my stock retainers and locks?
Put the chevy catalog down and read the posts above this one.

Stock springs are beehive so you will need new retainers, locks are cheap, and might as well do valve seals too.

Lope at idle comes from tight lobe seperation & large duration...You don't have the mods to support much lope. Be forewarned, more than one engine has been roached by guys runnig stronger springs andhaving the stock two piece valves breaking.

Cams require soooooo much more than just the cam.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

OOooohhhhh.... Adobedude brings up a VERY valid point.... Dropping a valve would be extremely bad.....

Might end up being cheaper just buying a good set of heads that are already set up right. Check with Odessa, or Clearwater Cylinder head...

Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 PM
my99ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace locks and retainers with the springs... you can usually get them as a set anyway. That way, you KNOW they will work.

Lumpy idle from the cam generally implies a cam that is designed for higher RPM power than what you are looking for. (and would be a really poor match for the kegger intake.)
I'm replacing the kegger with the m1 fi 4bbl intake with the tb adapter

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my99ram
I'm replacing the kegger with the m1 fi 4bbl intake with the tb adapter
You would be better off with the 2bbl M1 unless you plan a lot of mods, like heads, cam, stall, tune, headers, exhaust, gears.... it's gonna be a pig on a basically stock motor.

EDIT: Do you have a game plan in place, bad idea to just toss on some parts in a random order.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

These guys know what they are talking about when it comes to these magnum engines. I would suggest taking their advice.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Put the chevy catalog down and read the posts above this one.

Stock springs are beehive so you will need new retainers, locks are cheap, and might as well do valve seals too.

Lope at idle comes from tight lobe seperation & large duration...You don't have the mods to support much lope. Be forewarned, more than one engine has been roached by guys runnig stronger springs andhaving the stock two piece valves breaking.

Cams require soooooo much more than just the cam.
Excellent to see someone making some sense

The setup I outlined in my first post is the most aggressive and reliable setup you can go with on stock heads with minimal supporting mods.

Magnum top ends aren't like cobbling together an SBC... Roller cams require different spring pressures than those Summit knock-off flat tappet springs you're looking at. Is $50 really going to kill you for a set of the right springs? That's already dirt cheap. You HAVE to replace the retainers, the stock retainers will almost drop through the new springs. Locks you can reuse, but they are so cheap why would you chance it?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
my99ram
Rookie

EDIT: Do you have a game plan in place, bad idea to just toss on some parts in a random order.[/quote]
all mods by the time I'm done are:360 block, cam, clearwater monster heads, 1.6rr, dbl timing set, 4bbl carbed intake, 670 truck avenger, headers, dizzy to match my msd 6a box, shift kit, converter to match my set up and 3.90 gears.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Manual or auto trans? If you have an auto.... you are going to need to do something for the electronic controls...... If the PCM doesn't have a clue what the engine is doing..... it isn't going to know what to do with the trans either.

Switching to a manual trans would solve the issue though.

Other problem becomes the Instrument cluster.... most of which is driven by.... you guessed it.. the PCM. You would need to do something about all of that as well.

Quick Reply: biggest lift cam with stock heads