2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 09:05 AM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs....NGK/G-POWER...PLATINUM ALLOY
And the T\C does Lock up great..only if the RPMs are to LOW it will SHAKE. I don't know why it's still shows that code. Gonna take it and take my transmission man for a ride. (Not that kinda ride)

Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Plugs....NGK/G-POWER...PLATINUM ALLOY
And the T\C does Lock up great..only if the RPMs are to LOW it will SHAKE. I don't know why it's still shows that code. Gonna take it and take my transmission man for a ride. (Not that kinda ride)
Get rid of the platinum plugs. Standard copper are the way to go. The rare earth fellers can give you mystery misfires.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

With a wide variety of options there is to choose from, I'm sure, for a warm engine miss, such a sensor issues I think I might as well go ahead and just order all the sensors and change them out too. Because it seems like that the shake is worse as the engine warms up. For instance going to town when it shifts into overdrive at 50 mph, it's not as violent a shake versus coming back with a warm motor, and it shifting into overdrive at 50 mph. So I'm looking for input on that.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Firing the parts cannon at it won't necessarily fix it, and may even compound your problems. One thing at a time please.

Does it run any better if you disconnect the front O2 sensor?

Old 09-23-2021, 03:43 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Have not disconnected that but will this afternoon thank you so much I'm going to try it.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Apparently on this truck the oxygen sensor screws into the catalytic converter now the catalytic converter is empty it's been hulled out...DOES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Old 09-26-2021, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Apparently on this truck the oxygen sensor screws into the catalytic converter now the catalytic converter is empty it's been hulled out...DOES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Nope, it still just reads the exhaust flowing past.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:47 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Okay... TY... Taking it back to the transmission man tomorrow. I don't see how it could be a miss anywhere in the motor, when it's getting worse. Used to be if it shifted into overdrive when I was going between 40 and 50 it would shake now if it shifts into overdrive even between 50 and 60 it shakes and I mean it shakes bad enough to where you can't drive it while it's shaking it's going to shake something up but thank you so much my brother.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That is definitely a misfire. I had two plug wires switched, and when the truck hit O/D, it felt like it was going to shake itself apart.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:07 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Well like I say I just got through giving it a whole complete tune-up with excellent parts and it otters pretty decent and when you step on it it'll get somewhere in a hurry... If I wasn't a ball guy I would pull my hair out over it by now... As I said before the moment it starts shaking you give it a little throttle and the minute it kicks down into the next gear it's shaking stops but when it goes back into overdrive and start shaking again. I know the firing order is right because I did everything very meticulously and double check it after I was done... Like I say it starts really well.. and gets on it real good but I will even admit it still sounds or feels like a myth when it's idling I don't know where to go from here. You said don't fire the parts cannon at it but without a diagnostic tool and my obds aren't showing anything I'm kind of stymied. I don't want to shake up that new transmission.

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild