2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Curious on where the transmission had a crack in it? I've had two 47/48RE transmission cracked from intermediate shaft failures. The newer transmission casing have more bracing casted into them. Diesel engines seems to put extra stress onto the casing.

Curious if your going to get new governor sensor/lock-up solenoid for your $1200? Probably a common failure, I would insist on getting new electronics, and they not install the "used stuff". I hate for you to have issues with your almost new transmission.

My guess you have a older vs. new casing design. My 2001 is my first 2nd gen gaser (4wd), prior to that my other gaser dodge was 88 1/2 2wd dodge had a 904 transmission that I salvaged from a 70 Valiant.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:39 AM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir when I first purchased the truck it was very long fluid I drove about 5 mi to Auto supply and added 3 quarts of fluid to get it not full but up on the stick pretty well. I came home with it not shifting out of second into third much less overdrive.. I pulled the fan drain the fluid got a new solenoid kit and new fluid and new filter. That did not do it there was some pretty good chunks in the pan and the filter was really packed with the shrapnel. In one of the photos that I sent of the cases inside I made a circle of where it was broken and that's where it was broken it actually wasn't cracked it was broke. It is it is in fact my case I took some photos of some identifiers and compared and have actually confirmed that yes the broken case is definitely my old case. There is a differences in the area as to where the starter bolts on between my old case and the replacement case. I also notated that in the photos. It has been quite the experience to say the least. The 94 and 95 transmission is a rarity. I've searched Texas Oklahoma and Louisiana there are a few to be had but at a premium price with 90 day warranties. My rebuilder comes highly regarded in my area, five stars no complaints. He assured me that everything will be new parts even major parts if they show enough where that would cause him a issue with his 1-year warranty.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Update...my rebuilder said that the output shaft it's too worn.. he said it's not going to cost anything extra if he can find one that's not that worn.. he said most rebuilders would reuse it but he wouldn't reuse it even if I asked him to.. he said he could find one eventually but hasn't yet even though he's looked around and called around he hasn't done a really in-depth search so to speak. I told him let's do it right I've waited this long. There's a guy just out of town here that has one used with it 90 day warranty the truck that it came out of has 333,000 miles on it. Of course there's no way to tell how many miles is on the transmission that he was almost certain that it doesn't have 300,000 miles on it. I did order 12 quarts of mopar +4 ATF today. Other than that I'm just waiting.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Yup. Do it once. Do it right. Don't worry about it again. Good Plan.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:30 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Once it's installed and "petty cash" (my moneys I'm allowed to spend w/o a lot of explaining) is built back up, I'm buying that 500.00 take out, if it's still available in several weeks, and I'm going HUNTING in these RURAL Salvage lots out here for that 94/95 rare jewel. If for no other reason, to help out another fellow "DODGE BROTHER" that going thru what I'm learning now! I don't know what the NEXT BADGE above ROOKIE is, but after this I'm gonna take the test for it... 🤣🤣🤣 #LOVE MY DODGE RAM

Old 08-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Wow what a time trying to log in but I'm back. Transmission is in and running great. Thank you ALL for the help. Gotta Lotta other troubles tho. Looks like I bought someone's nightmare.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Well hello again transmission is working good just have that vibration in overdrive. Got some research on this form made a post under are you heading about transmission vibration... One gentleman said it was because of a compression in one cylinder in the engine. My transmission man has been saying it's because of a miss all along. So I guess next step would be too do a compression check on all the engine cylinders??

Old 09-19-2021, 08:54 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Well hello again transmission is working good just have that vibration in overdrive. Got some research on this form made a post under are you heading about transmission vibration... One gentleman said it was because of a compression in one cylinder in the engine. My transmission man has been saying it's because of a miss all along. So I guess next step would be too do a compression check on all the engine cylinders??
I would start there

The following users liked this post:
PR1AWRet (09-21-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Compression is right on time for 200,000 mi engine ... I checked it for vacuum leaks the old school way with starting fluid, both when the engine was cold and warm... I change the transmission mount. Of course ignition system has been replaced with all Blue streak parts and high-end NGK spark plugs. ... I RESET ALL THE ENGINE CODES AND IT CAME BACK WITH THE..
NUMBER 37 TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH SOLENOID CKT... AN OPEN CIRCUIT OR SHOULDER CONDITION DETECTED IN THE CKT CIRCUIT....
QUESTION IS NOW... WILL THAT CAUSE AN OVERDRIVE SHAKE?

Old 09-23-2021, 06:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

What spark plugs? These engines really don't like the rare-earth fellers.

If the T/C isn't locking, it isn't your shake. Generally, if there is a problem, you feel it when the t/c DOES lock.

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild