2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:15 AM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, TY for the input. After some thought, I'm just going to rebuild stock on my first rebuild. Still trying to locate a salvage tranny to run the truck, ('94 2wd 318 46rh w\o.d.). Even in Dallas and surrounding Counties, a 94 or 95 is VERY hard to locate. I've got to get into the more rural areas where they keep the vehicles longer. I was told after 10 years they crush & recycle.... it's awesome having an Ave for professional knowledge!

Old 03-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Again, TY for the input. After some thought, I'm just going to rebuild stock on my first rebuild. Still trying to locate a salvage tranny to run the truck, ('94 2wd 318 46rh w\o.d.). Even in Dallas and surrounding Counties, a 94 or 95 is VERY hard to locate. I've got to get into the more rural areas where they keep the vehicles longer. I was told after 10 years they crush & recycle.... it's awesome having an Ave for professional knowledge!

Old 03-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Might be cheaper/easier to buy the entire truck, then you have lots of parts to finish your build.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:58 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir that is an option... I thought of that because the several 96 model transmissions I found are selling for three to four hundred dollars... (Although they will not work).. I'm assuming the 94.95 models are respectively in the same price range.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:00 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

After some more research and lots of reading, and watching, I've learned that a rebuild requires a fair amount of specialty tools, specifically for a tranny rebuild if
(Done right). I have a LOT of tools but past a standard gear or pulley "puller", or snap ring pliers, I'll have to purchase the necessary tools. At 63 yrs old, this could possibly be the only time I take on a project like this. That being said, and NOT having priced the assortment of needed tools. Altho cash flow isn't the deciding factor, I still want to be financially wise here. Maybe a professional shop would be a better choice. Still thinking about it tho.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,292 Likes on 3,039 Posts

So far as I know, the only 'special tool' you really need, is the fixture for compressing the spring in the O/D unit......

Old 03-31-2021, 11:47 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Do you have Vendors on this site to purchase tools from? And if so how do I find them from the menu?

Old 03-31-2021, 03:24 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A 6 ton to 20 ton hydraulic press you can pick up at Harbor Freight. I suggest a 20 ton for future endeavours that you rebuild, replace, or upgrade. It sits in the garage but when you need it, it becomes the most important tool in the garage. I used a steering wheel puller set up like this. This is by no means the proper tool for the job, but it works for me.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:04 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir I'm going to check out all my options I just thought that I could help support this form and this site by purchasing from vendors that you know support the site as well. The manual that I pictured earlier in this thread it has tools described by a tool number so I'm not quite sure how that works but I'm going to reference that as well. Thank you for your input and your suggestion I will consider that. As with any and all information that I get from this form I appreciate it very much and it is invaluable at this point.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Yes sir I'm going to check out all my options I just thought that I could help support this form and this site by purchasing from vendors that you know support the site as well. The manual that I pictured earlier in this thread it has tools described by a tool number so I'm not quite sure how that works but I'm going to reference that as well. Thank you for your input and your suggestion I will consider that. As with any and all information that I get from this form I appreciate it very much and it is invaluable at this point.
You don't need every tool they just in the manual. Some are super expensive or just not made anymore

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild