2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 08:08 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duly noted, I'm assuming that common sense and inginuity will play a role in the biggest part of the whole process. I'm determined to do this, and this forum is find I was needing. TY again for responding.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Duly noted, I'm assuming that common sense and inginuity will play a role in the biggest part of the whole process. I'm determined to do this, and this forum is find I was needing. TY again for responding.
You are welcome. You are correct common sense remember what went where plays a big role in rebuilding transmissions

Old 03-31-2021, 08:45 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yessir, I will be making video recording of most of it, I want to do this only once. I'm sure I'll need more advice. AGAIN TY!

Old 04-01-2021, 02:25 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Yessir, I will be making video recording of most of it, I want to do this only once. I'm sure I'll need more advice. AGAIN TY!
Pictures/video of what it looks like in the truck all hooked up before you get started. While you have the transmission out, replace the CPS with a mopar one. On my 01, I took the oxygen sensor wires and extended them. Mine were tough to get to other wise.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

I actually did that because I took EVERYTHING off to clean it before reassembly. I'm assuming the CPS is a sensor. There is one on my catalyc converter (a sensor) however the converter is completely empty. But CPS I can't say I know what that is at the moment.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:58 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

I actually did that because I took EVERYTHING off to clean it before reassembly. I'm assuming the CPS is a sensor. There is one on my catalyc converter (a sensor) however the converter is completely empty. But CPS I can't say I know what that is at the moment.
Crank Position Sensor (CPS) upper passenger side. Keep the o2 sensor working/plugged in, it tells the computer how to adjust the air fuel ratio, doesn't matter about converter being empty.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Understood...now you mentioned a "MOPAR" CPS...Does it INTERCHANGE, or will it require " adapting" to the application? I ask this prior to research, altho I will, I just figure you could offer more pro advice to further the details of info researched.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

That sounded rather rude I'm sorry I didn't mean that you could offer more information.. actually I meant you have the knowledge and ability to... Professional knowledge that I value very much.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,292 Likes on 3,039 Posts

That sounded rather rude I'm sorry I didn't mean that you could offer more information.. actually I meant you have the knowledge and ability to... Professional knowledge that I value very much.
No worries, it's an internet forum, and tone of voice just doesn't carry over well here. Folks take that into consideration, and most folks here have a sense of humor..... and don't take anything personally.

Mopar is another name for 'Chrysler Products', at one time, it was their 'performance' arm, no clue what it is today, but, genuine 'mopar' sensors are are what you get from the dodge dealer. Of course, if you have the dodge part number, you can search on that, and generally find that a LOT cheaper than dealer prices, and still get genuine mopar parts. These engines are REALLY picky about their sensors, and they just don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations. Crank sensor being right there at the top of the list.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:35 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

My 95 Cherokee had the same CPS, I bought 1 from AZ, 1 from Oreillys, 3 from NAPA and they didn't work. Dropped a Mopar one in and Ta Da it worked. On the 01 truck I didn't replace it when the tranny was out, tried starting and no go. Put a new Mopar CPS and Ta Da it still driving.

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild