2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R46h Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,280 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Nope. No fan. The connector you found is likely for the fog lights. So far as I know, NONE of the second gens had any variety of electric fan up front.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir I jumped the gun on putting that out there I researched it and found that out but it also gave me an idea of maybe adding one but then again I'm not sure if that would affect the flow of the radiator fan pulling against the condenser fan. I will be putting a transmission cooler from a Dodge Ram 2500 in front or between the condenser and the radiator I haven't decided. The truck won't be doing hardly any highway driving. Mostly farm to market and state highways you know in between counties.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:05 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

I'M SORRY, THIS IS THE ONE IM TALKING ABOUT.... My transmission rebuilder suggested it.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Yes sir I jumped the gun on putting that out there I researched it and found that out but it also gave me an idea of maybe adding one but then again I'm not sure if that would affect the flow of the radiator fan pulling against the condenser fan. I will be putting a transmission cooler from a Dodge Ram 2500 in front or between the condenser and the radiator I haven't decided. The truck won't be doing hardly any highway driving. Mostly farm to market and state highways you know in between counties.
I have the stuff just have to install it, but I was going to install a helper fan in front of the condenser (right behind the grill) to push air through it. So basically it's a push fan not a pull fan

Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Wow.. it came Friday.. 24" wide 1 1/2" deep.. 3/4" end tubes.. I think I'm gonna opt to put it in Front of A. C. Condenser. PLENTY of room between that and hood grill. HOWEVER, my transmission rebuilder says to USE THE RADIATOR COOLING PART ALSO.. (After a GOOD FLUSHING OUT)...

Old 04-20-2021, 09:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Wow.. it came Friday.. 24" wide 1 1/2" deep.. 3/4" end tubes.. I think I'm gonna opt to put it in Front of A. C. Condenser. PLENTY of room between that and hood grill. HOWEVER, my transmission rebuilder says to USE THE RADIATOR COOLING PART ALSO.. (After a GOOD FLUSHING OUT)...
You only need the radiator warmer (it's not a cooler it warms the tranny fluid so you get OD quicker when it's cold) if you live in a cold climate

Old 04-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Really?... You know what I never thought of that I've always wondered how that little that little tube that is inside the end of the radiator could keep it cool when it gets I don't know some cars have a 190° thermostat in them. And you know my transmission man told me that and he's got a five-star rating on Google been in business here 24 years. But that don't mean he's not a good rebuilder I suppose apparently he is. He's a month behind on jobs. Or maybe he wants me to use the radiator for that purpose and I just misunderstood him on the fact of it being a cooler.. that's probably more like it. WOW.. what a very enlightening revelation. At least the cooler will keep the fluid a little cooler when it reaches extreme temperatures I do live in Texas. Where temperatures from 110 to 116 118 are not breaking any records. TY, I learned something invaluable every time I get on this forum.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:44 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Really?... You know what I never thought of that I've always wondered how that little that little tube that is inside the end of the radiator could keep it cool when it gets I don't know some cars have a 190° thermostat in them. And you know my transmission man told me that and he's got a five-star rating on Google been in business here 24 years. But that don't mean he's not a good rebuilder I suppose apparently he is. He's a month behind on jobs. Or maybe he wants me to use the radiator for that purpose and I just misunderstood him on the fact of it being a cooler.. that's probably more like it. WOW.. what a very enlightening revelation. At least the cooler will keep the fluid a little cooler when it reaches extreme temperatures I do live in Texas. Where temperatures from 110 to 116 118 are not breaking any records. TY, I learned something invaluable every time I get on this forum.
90% of people eliminate the radiator "cooler" down south. It's a problem area. The clutches in the tranny will separate if they get water in them as the glue used to hold them together is water soluble. So when it leaks you get coolant into the tranny fluid and vise versa. Which means you run a high risk of the tranny being ruined.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Well you can bet then I'm bypassing the radiator cooler / warmer part of the system and just going to run it up through the aftermarket transmission cooler. I won't be going anywhere in a hurry anyway so they'll be plenty of time for the transmission to warm up before it pulls out on the payment anyhow.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

THIS IS ABOUT MY CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR...
I checked on the genuine Mopar part and it's like $100 more expensive than a non-mopar part... Would it be a wise decision to be out the extra $100 or I need some input on this one.

Quick Reply: R46h Rebuild