2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny swap issues / Torque converter & some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 04:40 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tranny swap issues / Torque converter & some insight.

Ok. Let's see if i can lay this out in a legible way.

My 1994 2500 Automatic 4x4 5.9 Gas has a 96 (i think) engine. The flexplate has weights from what i see. (Please confirm.)

My harmonic balancer is the 2 piece i think (please confirm) as it has the thin split with rubber or something. Ive never been sure. Lol

The transmission was a stock marked 94 46rh.

The torque convertor on it has no external weight.

The new transmission is marked as 92/93.

The torque converter on it has a weight.

***QUESTION: Ok so from what i gather, my 96 engine has the weights on the FP not the converter and i will need to buy a new TC?

***What are the chances i can cut the weight off the TC? Im pretty handy with the tools and confident i can get it down to virtually flush surface.

My insight on this concerning the casting numbers is that some of the numbers are location of the plant (not dates as the date is clearly stamped) and others are related to the engine & balancing setup.

Im on the other side of a mountain from parts with only a bicycle to use. And even worse, about to run out of data. Lol

Last edited by MtnTow; 12-04-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I think you have the 96 and up flexplate on there, so, no weights on the t/c. You *might* be able to get away with just drilling out the spot welds on the weight...... and be ok. But, if you have the money for a new converter, that would ensure it was 'correct'.... Probably need the 5.2 converter with your flexplate.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:46 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you have the 96 and up flexplate on there, so, no weights on the t/c. You *might* be able to get away with just drilling out the spot welds on the weight...... and be ok. But, if you have the money for a new converter, that would ensure it was 'correct'.... Probably need the 5.2 converter with your flexplate.
Why do you say a 5.2 TC? Im also wondering if the bolt pattern is different. I read some have 1 offset.

Last edited by MtnTow; 12-04-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:55 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

You definitely need a neutrally balanced torque converter. If you can remove the weight on the converter, that 'should' take care of the issue, so that you can use the flexplate you have (with the weights on it) with the existing torque converter.

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 04:58 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
You definitely need a neutrally balanced torque converter. If you can remove the weight on the converter, that 'should' take care of the issue, so that you can use the flexplate you have (with the weights on it) with the existing torque converter.
Would be nice if it works. On the other hand im almost tempted to get new. Waiting to hear back from the guy i got tranny from.

Asked him to rate it on a scale of 1 - 10 so i can decide on budget. He says its great so.... (replied as i was writting this. Lol)

Old 12-04-2023, 05:03 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

As for the harmonic balancer, that unit is one piece (I've got one on my truck). If the rubber is cracked and splitting, plan on replacing it, as it's not uncommon for them to come apart.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would check measurements on the bolt holes on the existing converter, and flex plate..... The 5.9 95 and older had the bolt holes offset, so it would only install one way. (and maintain the engines balance.) Any RH t/c for the 5.9 will have the weight.... the 5.2 won't. (internally balanced.)

Old 12-04-2023, 05:55 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Think I would check measurements on the bolt holes on the existing converter, and flex plate..... The 5.9 95 and older had the bolt holes offset, so it would only install one way. (and maintain the engines balance.) Any RH t/c for the 5.9 will have the weight.... the 5.2 won't. (internally balanced.)
So are you saying i should change the flexplate from 96 to 94 because it will fit whereas the 96 TC wouldnt fit a 46rh splines?

Parts store was able to find a 94 360 flexplate for me. That should work, right? (As opposed to 318 or 1993?)

Last edited by MtnTow; 12-04-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not the splines, the flexplate, the t/c with the weight may have one offset bolt hole....So far as I know, that's the only real difference.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:36 PM
MtnTow
Professional

Not the splines, the flexplate, the t/c with the weight may have one offset bolt hole....So far as I know, that's the only real difference.
Im sorry but im confused.

The flexplate on this previously swapped engine (5.9 v8, i think 1996) has weights so the torque convertor that was with it should not, correct? Yet this is a 5.9 engine which goes against what you are saying if understand.

The old transmission (1994 46rh) has a torque convertor does NOT have a weight. (I can't recall if i used 1996 T/C from engine swap but thinking i must have.)

The new transmission (1994 46rh but stamped 92/93) has weights.

Ok so. My options are: Swap to 94 flexplate on engine or swap to 96 torque convertor in transmission.

It seems like the proper way is to swap t/c but the cheap way is swap f/p.

Im just not understanding why id go to a 318 design instead of a 360.

We already (think we) know a 5.9 96 t/c will fit a 94 46rh, correct (because otherwise my old t/c would be weighted)?

Will a 94 f/p fit a 96 flywheel though?

Last edited by MtnTow; 12-04-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny swap issues / Torque converter & some insight.