3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Changing NVLD Valve on Quad Cab Dakota 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
sawfish
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Changing NVLD Valve on Quad Cab Dakota 4X4

Everything I have read says this is very easy. FSM describes it as:

The EVAP canister (2) is mounted to the top of the fuel tank (6). Both the EVAP canister (2) and NVLD pump (3)
can be removed without removing the fuel tank.
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove left-rear tire.
3. Remove plastic shield in front of left-rear tire. Access to both the EVAP canister (2) and NVLD pump (3) from the
area in front of the removed tire.

I have removed the left rear tire and the plastic shield. I can barely see what I think is the evaporative canister, but the extended body on the Quad Cab leaves no room for changing any of these components. Has anyone changed the NVLD pump on a quad cab without dropping the tank? Wondering, if I should just create a trap door with Mr. Sawzall. Any ideas?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sawfish
Everything I have read says this is very easy. FSM describes it as:

Has anyone changed the NVLD pump on a quad cab without dropping the tank? Wondering, if I should just create a trap door with Mr. Sawzall. Any ideas?
I had the tank out a few times and dont see how you could change those parts with the tank in place.
You might just drop one end of the tank, not a bad job as long as the tank is almost empty.
Remember, Mr Sawzall likes to eat plastic. ;>)

Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Dropping the tank, especially if it is empty or nearly so, is easier than it looks. I used a tall floor jack to help.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Much easier than my 92 ranger. That was hell, but it had a real skid plate and thick driveshaft shield, instead of no plate and a simple heat shield. Once the skid plate was off, 3 bands held the tank up, 6 rusted bolts destroyed and finally got it down, only to realize the filler hose didn't give any play for the tank to drop, so I had to get to the band-clamp with the agility of a ninja. It never did work right after that, took 25 minutes to fill the tank each time lol. Aftermarket chinese filler hose.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
sawfish
Professional

Thanks guys. That was how it looked to me. Since I just filled up, I will run it down, and drop the tank.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
sawfish
Professional

Originally Posted by EVguy
I had the tank out a few times and dont see how you could change those parts with the tank in place.
You might just drop one end of the tank, not a bad job as long as the tank is almost empty.
Remember, Mr Sawzall likes to eat plastic. ;>)
Being unimpressed with the lack of storage capacity in the Dak, I have often considered sawing out a section on both sides under the rear seat. A stainless steel half pan will fit in that space easily, and would give some extra storage room for tools, etc.. The pans are not deep enough to interfere with anything underneath the truck.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sawfish
Being unimpressed with the lack of storage capacity in the Dak, I have often considered sawing out a section on both sides under the rear seat. A stainless steel half pan will fit in that space easily, and would give some extra storage room for tools, etc.. The pans are not deep enough to interfere with anything underneath the truck.
Like this?

underseat box finnished by evguy, on Flickr

Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
sawfish
Professional

Yes! Nice job.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Sawfish you should be able to get to that pump without dropping the tank. I mean it maybe just as easy to do so. Atleast my dealership didnt have to and it didnt look like I had to when I pulled the plastic fender shield to look at all the hoses and such for this same issue. The only reason I didnt change the nvld pump is solely because of the timing and my son was born the day it went in for a diagnostic. Its definitely tight in there, but maybe the extra cab space takes up all the room.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 PM
sawfish
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Sawfish you should be able to get to that pump without dropping the tank. I mean it maybe just as easy to do so. Atleast my dealership didnt have to and it didnt look like I had to when I pulled the plastic fender shield to look at all the hoses and such for this same issue. The only reason I didnt change the nvld pump is solely because of the timing and my son was born the day it went in for a diagnostic. Its definitely tight in there, but maybe the extra cab space takes up all the room.
Problem is that I have a Quad Cab, so I have *******ly no room to work between the flop pan and the gas tank. Still think this is a stupid location for this component.

Quick Reply: Changing NVLD Valve on Quad Cab Dakota 4X4