Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 AM
doneking
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
Yes, the 07s & 08 were first to beta, then came the 04s & 05s, 06 were next then 09 followed up, so we now have 04-09 in beta.

The trans options will be released (earmarked for this Spring) for ALL years at the same time. There will be no individual year releases.
This is what I was referring too when I was saying that a couple of pages back it was mentioned that all years and engines at the same time. I don't know MDSBidPaPa and he didn't actually mention engine types in his response, but the info wasn't punked or said to be incorrect.

Does anyone know if this info is true and if it will include all engines and years? I know this isn't related to the charging for the option -- just info.

-DK

Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
doneking
Amateur

Sil and/or Scott,

I know it is difficult to carry on conversations on the net because context isn't always conveyed. A lot of responses and posts come off aggressive, mean and can also be construed as whining. Don't take my responses as being negative toward the topic of charging for the new upgrades. If I have read correctly SC is simply in discussion on a possible charge and if so, they are offering a window where the option will be free. So there is the chance that the decision will be to actually offer it to all for free w/o a charge...am I correct?

This is why I am responding. It is simply to offer my opinion and feedback on how I the consumer feel about having to pay additional fees after spending a lot on the tuner itself. I like what the 3865 does and offers. I'm pleased with what I have experienced thus far. I have also anticipated the new releases.

With that being said, I also did a lot of searching and thinking on my decision when I chose a tuner. And paying for additonal upgrades was not factored in. I remembered reading on SC's website where it stated that I would have free upgrades available to me through the internet. That was a big plus and one of the things that helped me make my decision. This is actually from SC's website.

"More Flexibility
All of our programmers grow with you. First, they will work with the most popular performance parts including most cold-air intakes, free-flowing exhaust systems and some aftermarket throttle bodies. Superchips also offers free updates over the internet so you can always have the latest tune for your vehicle, and we even offer an upgrade program that gives you a discount if you decide to upgrade to the next level programmer at a later date."

I'm not angry with SC and I'm not going to bash the product. If they decide to charge for the upgrade...So be it. Those that really want it will have to pay for it.

But if customer feedback and suggestions are worth anything -- This is my vote:

I think the window for the free upgrade ought to be for all engines and years and the time frame should also be a little longer.

I appreciate all of the work and time that you and SC puts into their product!

-DK

Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its just years. everyone knows we are testing the hemis first so you just assumed it was 4.7 too...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by doneking
Sil and/or Scott,

I know it is difficult to carry on conversations on the net because context isn't always conveyed. A lot of responses and posts come off aggressive, mean and can also be construed as whining. Don't take my responses as being negative toward the topic of charging for the new upgrades.
DK,

You've been a gentleman with your responses and your opinion is much appreciated. I'm sure Scott will feel the same way when he reads your feedback.

Thanks,

Sil

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
carusso1
Default Fyi

Just an FYI for anyone having trouble with the Cortex:

Below is a response from SC with regard to a lack of performance issue I was having when running their tuner on any setting in my 2008 Hemi 1500 Big Horn.

Hello Craig,

I apologize - I do not think it is just your 2008 Ram – This might be typical of all 2008 Ram’s.

I do not know what to suggest – when ignition timing is added – the vehicles PCM is pulling some out. You are right on the edge of peak power gain.

Thanks,

Technical Support
407-585-7000

My question was, will the new updates possibly correct the problem I was having? So if any of you with 2008's are having performance problems beware of purchasing this tuner. Now I don't want to bad mouth SC. They did try to do all they could but could not figure out what my problem was. Their customer service was excellent. I returned the tuner to Summit Racing but SC was going to step up and return my money if Summit Racing did not. Thank you SC for that! But why continue to market a tuner that you obviously are aware does not work with all Dodge models?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by carusso1
Just an FYI for anyone having trouble with the Cortex:

Below is a response from SC with regard to a lack of performance issue I was having when running their tuner on any setting in my 2008 Hemi 1500 Big Horn.

Hello Craig,

I apologize - I do not think it is just your 2008 Ram – This might be typical of all 2008 Ram’s.

I do not know what to suggest – when ignition timing is added – the vehicles PCM is pulling some out. You are right on the edge of peak power gain.

Thanks,

Technical Support
407-585-7000

My question was, will the new updates possibly correct the problem I was having? So if any of you with 2008's are having performance problems beware of purchasing this tuner. Now I don't want to bad mouth SC. They did try to do all they could but could not figure out what my problem was. Their customer service was excellent. I returned the tuner to Summit Racing but SC was going to step up and return my money if Summit Racing did not. Thank you SC for that! But why continue to market a tuner that you obviously are aware does not work with all Dodge models?
It's not typical of all 2008 Rams. I have a 2008 that runs crazy strong.

To be honest, I don't know why tech support told you that.

Sil

Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
The Cank
Professional

Well I guess I don't have to worry about the new fee for the update. I have an 03 and I don't get the tranny option....... :-(

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
Well that's exactly my point. A superchips programmer is a canned tuned, meaning it's only going to support a CAI, a catback exhaust, and SOME "shorty" headers....essentially, those are all the simple bolt on modifications that hardly yield any kind of serious power. While trying to avoid a sweeping statement, I think the superchip programmer is somewhat a waste of money. Unless you do like you eluded to earlier;fill in all of the puzzle pieces, which a superchips programmer will not even accomodate for, your not going to see much gains over the stock hemi motor. One could easily spend over a $1,000 on a CAI, a programmer, and a catback exhaust and see minimal improvements compared to a stock equipped hemi motor. Is it worth spending all of that doe on the simple 3? That's why a SCT Tuner or Diabo seems to be the way to go. Those tuners promote enhancing the motor and can support them unlike the Superchips. Personally, I am more than satisfied with the factory horsepower I get with my truck, I love it. I also love my catback magnaflow exhaust; adds a nice look, adds a nice sound, and eliminates the bottleneck factory muffler and resonator. Again, this is only my opinion. I'm not trying to bash on other people here, I'm just stating my own experience with the chip.
we all told you not to expect a supercharged ram with a $300 tuner...but by far this is the best and most hp gain for that kinda money and to me you didnt even give it a chance. your so wishy washy with perf parts its crazy nothing satifies you when you buy it...and for $300 your not gonna find anything that will give you the gains and control this will...and to top it all off i called the fact youd sell it and now look youll prolly run out and buy a dsp for why?...cause you wont be happy there either trust me...and are you really gonna cam that thing or do anything to it a canned tune wont help?.... so with that said.....onto the gripping about the charges people get over it...you gotta pay to play....

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

another thing guys your referring to updates being free this is a upgrade.....

Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Originally Posted by jusjay727
another thing guys your referring to updates being free this is a upgrade.....
agreed. The trans options are not an improvement of functionality that already exists in SC, this is an upgrade. I'm hoping to get in on the 3 day free download, but if I have to pay a small fee I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know what the burden rate of a software tech at SC is, and how many tech's worked on the new upgrade for the 10 months, but I would guess that it is in the multiple tens of thousands of dollars and possibly over 100K to get this done. What's a small fee to us cover SC's cost of development?

TO Sil and/or Scott. I'm slightly concerned that the 3 day window will drop when I will be away on vacation with no access to the internet. I plan to take my Cortex with me to do data logging while towing a trailer. Can there be some system setup where we have three days to log in to get the coupon, but have more time to actually do the download? I would trust my teenager to take care of getting the coupon for me, but not to take care of the download....

Thanks

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates