Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Im not going with the Diablo, but if I was to do it over again, I would have.

Seems just changing tire size locks it to your vehicle as well, so even if I were to sell it, Id have to revert back to the wrong tire size/speedo error...grrrr.

I dont think Im asking that much, amd frankly, Im surprised people put these tunes in without knowing what they are exactly doing. I think SC should supply an FAQ or something, outlining each tune, and explaining EXACTLY what changes are being made.

Does that sound unreasonable? I know there is a SC employee that reads here.

-Chris

I tried a Diablo for a short period of time on my truck and I was not impressed. Might be that they do not support the transmission in my '04 and SC does and I've gotten so used to it, but the shifts felt like pure mush and the truck completely lacked low end grunt.

As far as documentation, I think it's unreasonably to expect SC or any other tuner manufacturer to have to list EVERY single change their canned tuner does to the stock tune. You want that kinda information then pay for a custom tune and have them provide you the code (if you can make heads or tails of it). Incidentally, before I bought my original SC back in '05 I had at least a dozen questions that I could not find the answer to online. I posted on their forum and had all of them answered in a satisfactory manner.

You can always sell the tuner and go have the dealer change your speedo with the StarScan. Many dealers will do it for free, some charge $50-75. I have reservations that you'll ever be happy with this tuner and if you had gotten a DSP I am sure you'd be posting the same criticisms over in that thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Gasturbine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said...I never had a Diablo, so it IS possible I would be just as disappointed in that one too. And if thats the case, Im just sorry thats all the tuning options we have for our trucks.

And I cant see these tuning companies keeping their tunes a secret. 2 degrees, 3 degrees, 4 degrees...so what? Its not like its a secret formula...anybody that is able to tune an engine would come up with the right combination eventually.

And even if they didnt want to give out the specific numbers, they could provide an FAQ or chart that outlines each tune, with the change levels "stock, minimum, slightly, moderate, maximum" like these examples;

Tune#1
A/F Ratio (rich/lean): moderate (lean)
Timing advance:maximum
Shift points (lower/higher): moderate (lower)
Shift firmness: n/a
Lowest octane required: 92

Tune#2
A/F Ratio (rich/lean): slightly (lean)
Timing advance: minimum
Shift points (lower/higher): stock
Shift firmness: moderate
Lowest octane required: 89

Tune#3
A/F Ratio (rich/lean): stock
Timing advance: minimum
Shift points (lower/higher): maximum (lower)
Shift firmness: slightly
Lowest octane required: 87

Again, these are just examples, but if SC would post something like this, Im sure many would find it useful.

Just last night I was showing the tuner to a pal, and he asked;

Wouldn't the performance tune be best for towing...after all, that loads the most power, right?
I explained to him that the shift points are most likely changed in the tow tune, and that has a huge effect when hauling stuff. He then asked;

So the performance engine tune stays the same, but when you load the tow tune, it just makes the trans more aggressive?
I told him I didnt know for sure, and the manufacture doesnt disclose the information. He paused for a second...still looking at the tuner, and softly said;

That sucks.
And I had to reply...yes, it does.

But like I said a few times before, it is what it is, and even though I spent $300 to change my tire size, I still feel better than giving $80 to the stealership for 2 minutes of work.

Thanks for everybodys input/comments.

-Chris

Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Chris,

I believe that the tow tune 1) increases timing, but not as much as performance tune to keep a loaded engine out of detonation, 2) increase torque and move it lower in the power band, 3) increase line pressure in the trans, and 4) change the shift points in the trans.

I believe the performance tune works similar to the tow tune, but increases the timing more, manipulates torque lower in the power band and HP higher in the power band.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Ric@rdo

Just bought one Cortex on Ebay. Can't wait

Old 06-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by ramjamhemi
increase line pressure in the trans,
I didnt think there was an option to change the pressure (shift firmness) on our '05s.

Anybody?

-Chris

Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram1500Monster
Are these chips comparable to these Dodge Ram Engine Performance Chips? I just bought a few of their items and they seem to have added a lot of performance for much less than what these other chips cost.

Thanks for any information.
there a bull website. Everything on there sucks.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

I didnt think there was an option to change the pressure (shift firmness) on our '05s.

Anybody?

-Chris
Correct. However, one way to increase shift firmness is to adjust TM. Line Pressures was talked about as an option at SC but, I don't know if it's been approved yet or will be approved.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM
bigtigga84
Professional

if it's been asked i'm really really sorry lol. friend of mine has a flashpaq for an 05 hemi. I have an 06 Hemi. will his tuner work and will i be able to turn off the mds?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

If the programmer is either an 1815, 1856, or 1950 model and is not vin locked to your friends vehicle at the time of use you should be good to go.

Scott

Originally Posted by bigtigga84
if it's been asked i'm really really sorry lol. friend of mine has a flashpaq for an 05 hemi. I have an 06 Hemi. will his tuner work and will i be able to turn off the mds?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Shift firmness aka trans TQ management is different than Line pressure adjustments. The advanced trans tuning offers 04-10 models with options to tune Shift firmness but not Line pressure.

Scott

Anybody?

-Chris

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates