Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's hoping you guys at SC decide to go in the custom tuning direction for the gas engines. I would definitly be very interested in getting that option.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I am unfamiliar with the fuel shut off option you are mentioning. I will bring the data you have provided to engineering to see what they say.

Scott

Originally Posted by davb673
Rengnath, Scott is right, the octane rating is a fuel's resistance to detonation. Having a little more than you need will not hurt. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm

Scott, is it possible for you all at Superchips to program into the tuner a fuel-cutoff? I ask because my wife's 08 Avenger has one from the factory. When we drove from Layton to Park City, UT about two weeks ago, and were going down hills, I had the cruise engaged and noticed my OBDuino (similar to Scangauge) was indicating 999 MPG. I have tried this in my truck, as there are several steep hills around here, but all that happens is my truck downshifts and fuel flow goes up?!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
jimmygunns

Just wondering why I have a check engine light on, but my Flashpaq won't read any fault codes. I wouldn't have given my other OBD2 scanner to my dad if I knew my new Flashpaq was useless to me for that option. I just have the tire size changed & running the 87 option. That's all I've done, never been hooked up to anything else. Any ideas? I'd like to know what cylinders are misfiring like I used to do w/ my $50 scanner.

Yes, I have the recent update. Yes I am sure I'm in the right section of the Flashpaq to read codes. It keeps saying I have none. WTF?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmygunns
Just wondering why I have a check engine light on, but my Flashpaq won't read any fault codes. I wouldn't have given my other OBD2 scanner to my dad if I knew my new Flashpaq was useless to me for that option. I just have the tire size changed & running the 87 option. That's all I've done, never been hooked up to anything else. Any ideas? I'd like to know what cylinders are misfiring like I used to do w/ my $50 scanner.

Yes, I have the recent update. Yes I am sure I'm in the right section of the Flashpaq to read codes. It keeps saying I have none. WTF?

Take your truck to any reputable auto parts store and they will read the DTC for you. Armed with that information call SC Tech Support 1-888-227-2447
8-5 EST and have a trouble ticket opened up.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Honestly, I am unfamiliar with the fuel shut off option you are mentioning. I will bring the data you have provided to engineering to see what they say.

Scott
Scott, I posted a picture of what I was talking about in my Garage here at DF. Cruise is engaged, car is going about 64 mph, and turning 2k rpms, with the OBDuino indicating 999 mpg. It has been fairly accurate thus far. I had a similar feature on my 91 VW Jetta and my 90 Audi 100 years back.

jimmigunns, I am surprised your SC will not read codes. Mine has been able to?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

If it's body control related the programmer won't pick it up since all we read/tune is engine and trans.

That being said, feel free to start with calling customer service and have one of the techs look over the data for you. If there is an issue on our end I am sure we can fix it fairly quickly for you.

Scott

Originally Posted by jimmygunns

Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Thanks Ramjam, but that brings up another question...when loading a tune from SC, does it affect your tow/haul button programming?

And does anybody know what the difference is between the programming between SC tow tune, and the factory (tow/haul button) tune?

I know Scott from SC posts here, but he tends not to reply to my questions.

Thanks!

-Chris
In the tuner itself, there are 2 different shift schedules. One schedule for economy and performance tunes and another shift schedule for the tow tune. This way you can have a much more aggressive tune for towing if you shall desire granted you get the trans tuning support. My everyday normal shift schedule is more agressive than the OEM stock towing schedule for the most part. Around town, it's a little easier on the neck as I'm old manish like that, but anything over 20mph and my trans starts getting worked. Shifts get firmer and faster.

Since altering the shift points and TM, I have had no reason to even use the tow/haul mode as my truck is set up not to shift into O/D when towing unles the desired rpm is actually reached and if that happens i just push the button to keep the trans locked out. My truck is used mostly for work related stuff so I am either towing a trailer empty or completely full so I have set my shifting strictly up for towing. I spend most of my time traveling on side roads and not much highway. Since my shift points and partial upshifts are higher than stock, the tow/haul mode button is absolutely useless for me on how I have my trans set-up. I never use it for that.

I have also never even used the tow tune. Yeah, well.. I loaded up the 91oct tune and I have always used quality 93oct gasoline that I get from the same place everytime. Hess.
I haven't had ANY problem towing and I've pulled some heavy loads between 7-9,000lbs. Changing tunes takes too long IMO, so I'll stick with one tune and run with it to the grave.

My last tankful was ALL city/town towing and I averaged 15.8mpg's using the 91perf tune set-up with my upshifts/downshifts shift points. It has been the best tank I ever got and I had a Diablo tuner for 1.5yrs before this where my best tank towing was 12.6mpg's...Hand calculated FYI.
I would like to thank the partial upshifts/downshifts for the better mileage because it keeps the truck in it's powerband where you actually use less fuel to get going from a roll than it would take to downshift, overrev and then shift back into the lower gear.

Regarding line pressure. The TCM monitors the line pressure and it must be at 135psi I believe or it will send off codes. The only benefit to changing line pressure that I can see is if someone wanted to remove TM altogether which would require addditional pressure to prevent clutch slippage which is why most guys have said TM setting of "8" is the tipping point of best performance.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 AM
bigtigga84
Professional

so if the programmer doesn't already have the mds shut off on it, i will be able to download it?

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
If the programmer is either an 1815, 1856, or 1950 model and is not vin locked to your friends vehicle at the time of use you should be good to go.

Scott

Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

If the programmer is for your year range and Hemi, when you plug the programmer in and it starts recognizing your truck, it'll have the MDS turn off option available. Other than that don't quote me on this because I'm just a 287 crew member

Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

+1

If you don't see the MDS function and you have MDS in your vehicle give customer service a call to verify the program for you. It should be in the initial install.

Scott

Originally Posted by SilentRamAD
If the programmer is for your year range and Hemi, when you plug the programmer in and it starts recognizing your truck, it'll have the MDS turn off option available. Other than that don't quote me on this because I'm just a 287 crew member

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates