Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:30 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Just a general question;
If I run an octane higher than the required (93 octane on the 91 Performance tune) will I actually hurt my performace compared to if I ran 91 octane?

I ask because I have always ran 93 octane gas from my local BP station because I cant find 91 octane any where close by. My dad borrowed my truck and he doesnt know about the programmer, and he actually topped the tank off after he used it with 87 octane gas. He couldnt get much more than 5-6 gallons in there because I had just filled up, but I did the math and was sure that I had atleast a 91 octane mix. The truck just seemed more alive than it did before with 93 octane. Does this make sense to anyone or was it just an error in my butt dyno?

If this is the case, I will just start filling up half my tank with 89 octane and half with 93 octane.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Each setting has a octane requirement atached to it to aide in helping the customer stay away from detonation especially under a load when towing.

Those octane levels are the bare minimum required so moving up octane levels in those settings is perfectly fine and will not harm or reduce performance gains.

Scott

Originally Posted by rengnath
Hey guys,

Just a general question;
If I run an octane higher than the required (93 octane on the 91 Performance tune) will I actually hurt my performace compared to if I ran 91 octane?

I ask because I have always ran 93 octane gas from my local BP station because I cant find 91 octane any where close by. My dad borrowed my truck and he doesnt know about the programmer, and he actually topped the tank off after he used it with 87 octane gas. He couldnt get much more than 5-6 gallons in there because I had just filled up, but I did the math and was sure that I had atleast a 91 octane mix. The truck just seemed more alive than it did before with 93 octane. Does this make sense to anyone or was it just an error in my butt dyno?

If this is the case, I will just start filling up half my tank with 89 octane and half with 93 octane.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rengnath, Scott is right, the octane rating is a fuel's resistance to detonation. Having a little more than you need will not hurt. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm

Scott, is it possible for you all at Superchips to program into the tuner a fuel-cutoff? I ask because my wife's 08 Avenger has one from the factory. When we drove from Layton to Park City, UT about two weeks ago, and were going down hills, I had the cruise engaged and noticed my OBDuino (similar to Scangauge) was indicating 999 MPG. I have tried this in my truck, as there are several steep hills around here, but all that happens is my truck downshifts and fuel flow goes up?!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by ramjamhemi
Chris,

I believe that the tow tune 1) increases timing, but not as much as performance tune to keep a loaded engine out of detonation, 2) increase torque and move it lower in the power band, 3) increase line pressure in the trans, and 4) change the shift points in the trans.

I believe the performance tune works similar to the tow tune, but increases the timing more, manipulates torque lower in the power band and HP higher in the power band.
Thanks Ramjam, but that brings up another question...when loading a tune from SC, does it affect your tow/haul button programming?

And does anybody know what the difference is between the programming between SC tow tune, and the factory (tow/haul button) tune?

I know Scott from SC posts here, but he tends not to reply to my questions.

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Shift firmness aka trans TQ management is different than Line pressure adjustments. The advanced trans tuning offers 04-10 models with options to tune Shift firmness but not Line pressure.

Scott
Wow...thanks for the reply! Any reason youre not chiming in on the other threads?

And I always thought (increased) line pressure is what makes firmer shifts?

Thanks again!

-Chris

Old 06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Thanks Ramjam, but that brings up another question...when loading a tune from SC, does it affect your tow/haul button programming?

And does anybody know what the difference is between the programming between SC tow tune, and the factory (tow/haul button) tune?

I know Scott from SC posts here, but he tends not to reply to my questions.

Thanks!

-Chris
from what I understand, and I may be wrong here so please correct me if I am, the tow haul mode does not change the tune, it simply locks out 5th gear, similar to the O/D off locking out both 4th and 5th.

nateroach

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Chris,

Please don't get the impression that I don't want to answer your questions. The fact is that in most cases I get to thread after someone else has answered the question for me.

if you prefer an answer from me directly feel free to PM me. I am always available and I get an instant email for those so I can get back to you promptly.

Scott

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
Wow...thanks for the reply! Any reason youre not chiming in on the other threads?

And I always thought (increased) line pressure is what makes firmer shifts?

Thanks again!

-Chris

Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

+1 what Nateroach said, the tow haul is all in the transmission. The SC Tow tune provides increased power and overall driving improvements for your towing application through inproved AFR, timing, and some trans shifting improvements.

Scott

Originally Posted by nateroach
from what I understand, and I may be wrong here so please correct me if I am, the tow haul mode does not change the tune, it simply locks out 5th gear, similar to the O/D off locking out both 4th and 5th.

nateroach

Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Any news on the possible custom tuning updates?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

The only thing I can offer up is that we have started up Superchips Racing and will be offering Cummins owners in the near future new power options that incorporate DPF delete and a few other tasty features. So let your Cummins buddies know what's coming.

I can't say at this point if Superchips Racing will branch into the gasoline market or not at this point being too soon to know.

If we do, I will definitely be posting that info here for those interested.

Scott

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates