Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlivet
But this does not explain why the changes in spark timing and fuel maps necessary to properly burn the high octane gas, should be capable of creating any more power from running it, since unlike diesel fuel there is no more energy to be released from burning high octane pump gas than there is from burning lower octane regular grade gas.

Any number of information sources accessed through an internet search using prompts such as 'gasoline' and 'octane', repeat the same information: that higher octane gasoline simply burns at a slower rate and is less prone to knock than lower octane rated gasoline. It isn't 'better' or more powerful gas. Admittedly the high octane gas contains more proprietary additives than they put in their regular grade of gas, the nature and amount depending on the petroleum company marketing it. (The gas companies put these additives into the gasoline after it has been refined and once it has been earmarked for sale in their particular branded outlets. The additives certainly don't add any power producing capability to the gas.)

Whether spark and fuel tables are optimized for 87 or optimized for 94, the motors output should be pretty much equal. Optimized is optimized and the hardware (cam timing, valve sizes, exhaust and intake port sizes...) is unchanged.

So I still have to ask: How does the SuperChip extract more power from the same engine that is now optimized for and running high octane gas? What's the operating theory? Are there independant dyno tests?
Thanks.
Sorry, I can't add any insight into "how" it's done but, here a link to a dyno chart https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...o+chart#p49872

Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
glenlivet
Talking

Thanks but I meant independant head to head dyno graph comparisons, not graphs provided by the seller of the chips.
Those kind of look like they were drawn with a compass.

Has anyone besides Superchips company itself, dyno tested their truck using the Superchips mapping for 87 and running that gas and then again with Superchips mapping for 94 or the equivalent, and using that grade of gas?

Those graphs appear to be comparing stock configuration presumably using regular grade gas and Superchips configuration, gas grade not specified.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

So I still have to ask: How does the SuperChip extract more power from the same engine that is now optimized for and running high octane gas? What's the operating theory? Are there independant dyno tests?
Thanks.
Are you looking for a different answer or are you trying disprove that performance tuning works?

Here's what I recommend. Buy the tuner. Try it. You have 30 days to return it if you aren't satisfied.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Thanks but I meant independant head to head dyno graph comparisons, not graphs provided by the seller of the chips.
Those kind of look like they were drawn with a compass.

Has anyone besides Superchips company itself, dyno tested their truck using the Superchips mapping for 87 and running that gas and then again with Superchips mapping for 94 or the equivalent, and using that grade of gas?

Those graphs appear to be comparing stock configuration presumably using regular grade gas and Superchips configuration, gas grade not specified.
The chart above specifically stated "91 Octane Performance Tune". Search the Superchips forums for dyno charts and you find lots from Superchips however, I remember seeing one by a poster who had done additional extrapolations. It's like Prego - it's in there you'll have to do the research though.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
s13_marine
Professional

Edit: Nevermind, question was already answered

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM
dodgert2011
Professional

get a chip for my 2011 i want to go zoom

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
SilsHemi
All Star
Default *New* Superchips Update Software 3.0!

Attention Superchips users; *New* Superchips Update Software 3.0!

Superchips is pre-releasing a new internet updater to Dodge Forum members!!!

They are making this available to Dodge Forum members, so you can give it a go before it goes live very shortly.

Some important notes prior to installation;

1. You must remove the old update software, then you can install the new updater.

2. You'll have to re-register using your existing or new user name and password to use 3.0.

(The older system's data is not being moved over).

Download link:

Superchips Update Software 3.0

The new software is compatible with all versions of Windows including 32-bit and 64-bit.

Have fun!

Sil

Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Mud Marine
Amateur
Talking

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Yes, stock is saved into the programmer and the unit becomes vinlocked to the vehicle at that point. Vinlocking helps preserve the stock setting so in the event you need to return to stock you can without issue.

You will definitely see better throttle response TQ and MPG using the different tunes included in the product.

Any further questions feel free to let me know.

Scott

One more question Scott. Your website turns up zero results for a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7 however it has both the flashpac and the cortex fro the 4.7H.O. did yall not say you have a chip for the non-high output motor? If so can you give me the part number, Im ready to buy

Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by Mud Marine
One more question Scott. Your website turns up zero results for a 2007 Ram 1500 4.7 however it has both the flashpac and the cortex fro the 4.7H.O. did yall not say you have a chip for the non-high output motor? If so can you give me the part number, Im ready to buy
I just tried it for the 2007 Ram 1500 4.7. Results show 3865 or 3950.

Go with 3865, if you're aren't interested in the extended power train the Cortex offers.

Sil

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Mud Marine
Amateur

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
I just tried it for the 2007 Ram 1500 4.7. Results show 3865 or 3950.

Go with 3865, if you're aren't interested in the extended power train the Cortex offers.

Sil

Thanks Sil,
I was actually looking for the details on the Cortex PT warranty (obviously not very hard) whats your take on it? worth it? Let me know if you happen to have a link for the details

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates