Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R-TICAT
Hi Guys- Quite the thread going here!
As with others, I hate to ask but, with 279 pages to weed through...
I have an '04 1500 Hemi Sport Quad Cab w/134,000 miles. I'd like to get a little more power and MPG's out of it. I'm also not crazy about the way the tranny shifts.
I use the truck mostly for pulling a 2-place snowmobile trailer from CT to Northern VT and NH and for plowing around home, as well as runs to the dump and Home Depot on the weekends.
I don't want to be "on the ragged edge", just a reasonable (for the $$) improvement over what I believe is a totally stock truck, with the possible exception of the muffler. I believe that is a "performance" aftermarket replacement.
The only other mod I'm even considering is a K&N type fresh air cleaner set-up.
Could you make a recomondation for a SC set-up (products needed) for my truck?
Also, don't want to have to use more than the local 89 octane mid-grade.
Thanx!
As I said above, the 3865, with purchasing the Advanced Trans Upgrade ($40), will allow you to change shift points and torque management. Also, the tunes will learn about the CAI and will give you added benefit once it is installed. In fact, a free(er)-flowing exhaust with CAI are the first mods anyone would recommend -- Get that engine breathing better. Something else to keep in mind, the 87 Tune adjusts A/F ratios and timing such that it only requires 87 octane but you can still use 89 octane without any problems.

If you tow more than 1500 lbs., it recommended that you tune to Tow Tune which requires 91 or higher octane. The reason for this is pre-detonation (pinging) can result if towing more than 1500lbs. in either 87 Tune or Performance Tune.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
RAMIN4X404
Amateur

Hey guys can you adjust the engine idle witht he SC tuner? thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by RAMIN4X404
Hey guys can you adjust the engine idle witht he SC tuner? thanks.
Yes and no. The idle adjustment is for the trucks with a PTO. If you increase the idle adjustment, it will revert to default when you put it in gear.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM
countrystyleram
Rookie

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
The tunes in the 3815 and 3865 are exact. The exception is the 3865 has more memory and can load the Advanced Trans Upgrade where the 3815 cannot. If you plan to keep your 03 for a while, the cheaper solution would be to get the 3815 now and upgrade later to the 3865 when you purchase a newer truck.

If you purchase from a third party (e-bay, forums...) make sure the tuner is NOT VIN-locked to another truck. If it is, it will cost you an additional $100 to have it unlocked. Also, before you put your hard earned money down, ask for the serial number then call SC Tech support at 1-888-227-2447 and ask if it is reported stolen. If it IS stolen then you'll have nothing more than a paper-weight.

I get better mileage with the 91 tune and 93 octane than I do with the 87 tune (there is no 89 tune) and regular gas, plus I like the feel so much better. However, compared to stock, the 87 tune will give you a much better feel and greater response.
I`m probably gonna start using 89 in my truck, would a 87 tune be ok with 89? 91 Could be a tad pricey to fill up lol, at 3.10 were i`m at, i`m sure thats cheap to some of you guys and if so, I feel for ya! And the SC i`m looking to buy is from a guy on this site, so i`ll have to see.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
countrystyleram
Rookie

As I said above, the 3865, with purchasing the Advanced Trans Upgrade ($40), will allow you to change shift points and torque management. Also, the tunes will learn about the CAI and will give you added benefit once it is installed. In fact, a free(er)-flowing exhaust with CAI are the first mods anyone would recommend -- Get that engine breathing better. Something else to keep in mind, the 87 Tune adjusts A/F ratios and timing such that it only requires 87 octane but you can still use 89 octane without any problems.

If you tow more than 1500 lbs., it recommended that you tune to Tow Tune which requires 91 or higher octane. The reason for this is pre-detonation (pinging) can result if towing more than 1500lbs. in either 87 Tune or Performance Tune.
Okay hm, after reading this post does my question ^ have an answer already? And also, I at this point in time, do not tow with my dodge but I probably will in the future, now what I would like to know is that tune thats a upgrade from stock, will It allow fine towing power? Or would I need a tow tune if it does actually have that?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by countrystyleram
Okay hm, after reading this post does my question ^ have an answer already?
Yes, it's OK to run higher octane than whatever tune you choose - 87 Tune with 89 or higher octane. It is NOT good to run LOWER octane than the tune you've selected - 91 Perf (or Tow) with 89 octane.

And also, I at this point in time, do not tow with my dodge but I probably will in the future, now what I would like to know is that tune thats a upgrade from stock, will It allow fine towing power? Or would I need a tow tune if it does actually have that?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

The tuner has the following tunes:
87 Tune (requires 87 or higher octane)
91 Performance (requires 91 or better octane)
Tow Tune (requires 91 or higher octane)
Mileage XS (requires 87 or higher octane)
Stock (mfg suggests 89 octane)

It is also recommended that you use the Tow/Haul button (if equipped) when towing heavy loads as this will disable 5th gear which the Tow Tune does NOT do.

Also, please read the FAQ found at www.mcfail.net/superchips as it will answer most of your questions.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
BLACKRAM2u
Rookie
Default Performance 91 or 93 for 2008 4.7L

What's up guys.What tune would be better for a 08 4.7L Ram. I've read on hear that 91 is better but for 07 down. But the deal is 08 dodge changed almost every spec on it.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
countrystyleram
Rookie

Yes, it's OK to run higher octane than whatever tune you choose - 87 Tune with 89 or higher octane. It is NOT good to run LOWER octane than the tune you've selected - 91 Perf (or Tow) with 89 octane.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

The tuner has the following tunes:
87 Tune (requires 87 or higher octane)
91 Performance (requires 91 or better octane)
Tow Tune (requires 91 or higher octane)
Mileage XS (requires 87 or higher octane)
Stock (mfg suggests 89 octane)

It is also recommended that you use the Tow/Haul button (if equipped) when towing heavy loads as this will disable 5th gear which the Tow Tune does NOT do.

Also, please read the FAQ found at www.mcfail.net/superchips as it will answer most of your questions.

Okay thank you!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
BLACKRAM2u
Rookie

Hi msd what tune would be better for the 08 4.7l the 91 or 93 tune. Since 08 trucks changed a lot of specs.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by BLACKRAM2u
Hi msd what tune would be better for the 08 4.7l the 91 or 93 tune. Since 08 trucks changed a lot of specs.

Many of the guys on the forums really like the 93 tune for their 08's - both 5.7 and 4.7. It's a subjective choice; what ever feels good to you. Run a couple of tanks of 93 octane then tune to both 91 tune and 93 tune; which do you like better? Try 91 tune with 91 octane to see the difference. Go with whichever combo feels good. That's the nice thing about the tuner; pick something, tweak it, try something new because you can always go back.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates