Diablo Information and Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait wait wait wait.... Is it $75 to get your truck COMPLETELY TUNED (as many files as needed to get it correct) or is it $75 PER TUNE?

If it is $75 per tune then its not a good deal, from what I have read, most of the time it takes at least 2-3 tunes to get it right, sometimes more than that. You data log and send it in, they write a tune and send it out, you data log again to make sure the right things were done, they tweak it again, and the process continues til it is just right. Email tunes are good in the part that they are cheaper than a dyno tune BUT you will never get optimum performance out of a single tune. Now if you are ONLY after turning off certain features then thats completely different.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Originally Posted by truckin151
Wait wait wait wait.... Is it $75 to get your truck COMPLETELY TUNED (as many files as needed to get it correct) or is it $75 PER TUNE?

If it is $75 per tune then its not a good deal, from what I have read, most of the time it takes at least 2-3 tunes to get it right, sometimes more than that. You data log and send it in, they write a tune and send it out, you data log again to make sure the right things were done, they tweak it again, and the process continues til it is just right. Email tunes are good in the part that they are cheaper than a dyno tune BUT you will never get optimum performance out of a single tune. Now if you are ONLY after turning off certain features then thats completely different.
He sent me 3 files over a couple of days for me to try out. Never charged me more than the initial $75. He also said that wideband data is extremely useful. I haven't hada chance to sue mine yet, but I'm going to send him the data as soon as I get up and running regardless of how the truck is running.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM
butch1581
Captain

So what do you guys do when you tow heavy loads? Do you modify your settings at all? Different than everyday driving. I am going to get one, and run the 93 tune. Should I keep this tune as is for towing my enclosed trailer (4000lbs loaded). Thanks for the info....now I just need to find one to buy!

Has anyone had tranny issues after running these tunes for a long time?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by butch1581
So what do you guys do when you tow heavy loads? Do you modify your settings at all? Different than everyday driving. I am going to get one, and run the 93 tune. Should I keep this tune as is for towing my enclosed trailer (4000lbs loaded). Thanks for the info....now I just need to find one to buy!

Has anyone had tranny issues after running these tunes for a long time?
I run 91oct tune and pour in 93oct gas. I tow frequently and you should not tow on the 93oct setting. bad news. Drop down to the 91 tune. You'll get better mpg's and there is not much power with the 93 over the 91 anyways.

lxman--Mike from Diablo said that there is no need for an update from 9r04 to 9r05 if the tune was working fine to begine with. No tuning parameters were changed so there is no beneift other than if you were having key cycle problems or traded in for a new '09

Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I've towed probably a dozen times in the past 4 years, so not much compared to some guys. However when I had my superchip's I never used the 'tow' tune and the truck did fine. I've never heard of any problems related to someone towing without a 'tow' tune. Maybe that's why DS doesn't offer a preset towing tune. I have not towed anything but a small pop-up camper since my DS has been installed so I can't comment too much on how the DS feels towing a heavy load.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 PM
FastFreddy

Hey everyone, Newbie here... just got my 2006 Hemi about 2 weeks ago. I want to get a programmer. I do tow a boat a bunch in the summers, is there a tune that works well with towing? I see above they just mentioned using the 91oct tune for towing. Is this what everyone does? Also is there a gas saver mode? I do like the MDS disable mode... just seems like if its disabled - it cant break and cost me more $$..lol Looking for mainly mileage increase and anything to help towing - and if the side effect is more power, I can deal with that...lol.... btw if it helps I have a Flowmaster exhaust and K&N drop in filter. Also if I buy the programmer from like Jeg's who has it on sale right now, do I need additional cables (the radio shack ones mentioned in searches I did) - or can I use it straight out of the box?

Thanks
Fred

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM
butch1581
Captain

Thanks for the input on the towing. I just made a "deal" with a guy on craigslist, so hopefully the thing is good to go. I should be getting my tuner in a few days. Can't wait!

I will be running 93 gas with no ethanol. (I do now also) So I can just load the 91 tune before I tow anything.

Dirtydog:

Do you just load the standard 91 tune? Do you make any mods to the tune? (Mostly wondering about tranny adjusts)

Also does the tow/haul button still work the same after a tune is entered?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
butch1581
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I run 91oct tune and pour in 93oct gas. I tow frequently and you should not tow on the 93oct setting. bad news. Drop down to the 91 tune. You'll get better mpg's and there is not much power with the 93 over the 91 anyways.

lxman--Mike from Diablo said that there is no need for an update from 9r04 to 9r05 if the tune was working fine to begine with. No tuning parameters were changed so there is no beneift other than if you were having key cycle problems or traded in for a new '09
why would the 93 tune be "bad news"?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Trupiano
Veteran

It's not, I run the 93 tune for a couple months and Ive towed several times no problem. If DSP wanted you not to tow witht the 93, they would have had a disclaimer or a setting for it. The 93 tune is fine as it is. Plenty of modders have had no problems so far with it. Some people are just cautious.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
butch1581
Captain

what does everybody run for cooling fan settings, idle speed settings, ect.? What is the bennefit to changing these things?

How will I know when I load the 93 tune on my truck if it needs "tweeking" as far as fuel and spark? I would assume I log the data, but then what? Thanks again

Quick Reply: Diablo Information and Reviews