3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Mod time...Got me a Peragon foldable hard tonneau cover!! PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mod time...Got me a Peragon foldable hard tonneau cover!! PICS!!

Ok Fellas, I finally recieved my Bed cover from Peragon and had the time to peek at a few parts and check things out.

My first thoughts were, this is a bit heavier than I expected. But, if it was to be lighter I would be afraid of quality. I like beefy parts so I don't mind its a little heavy.
The parts bags seemed well labeled and divided into their respective categories.

Even though the parts have gone through a plating process, I decided to use my trusty caliper paint. It has ceramic within and makes a nice hard coat for an extra protective layer.

I sprayed the L-brackets and roller guides down with a few coats after I wiped them clean. While the paint was drying, I worked on the frame.

I first laid all the parts down and sorted the screws. I used 2-furniture pads to protect the finish while I worked on the frame upside down as directed by their instruction pamphlet.

I noticed a few things during the install i would like to point out. WHile tightening down the crossbar that would be along the back window, there are grooves that the brackes must be sit down flat in or you'll tighten the frame studs up and it will become loose later on. Plus it will torque the frame crooked. Now, the manual says to be careful not to overtighten the bolts that are mounted to the frame. This is because they are pressed into an aluminum frame that isn't super thick so you can strip it out if you overtighten. It's better to undertighten those two bolts than to overtighten.

Frame went together relatively easy. I was able to pick it up myself and put it on the truck. First I laid out towels on the bed sides so I didn't scratch anything up.
Once the frame was sitting in place, I was able to remove the towels one side at a time. Before your able to even put the frame onto the truck, you need to mount the L-brackets that secure the frame assembly down. This does require 4 drill holes into your bed(6 for 8" box) These holes are made in the pinch weld and should be started with a smaller bit and be sure not to push too hard. Once I drilled the holes, I coated the bare metal with touch up paint. I gobbed it on actually. Once it dried, I took rtv sealant and covered it up so to seal anything I missed. It'll never rust after all that!

Peragon provided a bunch of washers to use as spacers for the frame-L-bracket so you can "squish" the seal appropriately. I don't like to use multiple washers if I can help it so instead I use nuts if there's to be many washers needed. One nut was a little shy, so I used a washer as well.
This made the seal sit very tight to the finish. It's probably a little too tight for what the manul says, but it seems pretty good to me.I can probably use a pressure washer and it wouldn't penetrate through the seal edge!

Now, prior to finally tightening down all of the bolts, I had to check for fitment issue's. I took the cover and set it inside the track. This proved to be challenging at first. I noticed right away that my frame side were too close or the bracket needed adjusting(BFH). ;-)
Once the cover was in place, I was able to open it up and guide the frame into its final position. I made the frame close to the cover rollers with slight play on both sides. Once the tailgate ends were squared up, I retracted the cover and mounted the shocks. The shocks have quick release ends so they are a breeze to install.
The shocks being installed withh lift the first panel up so you can check for tailgate tightness/fitment. Once you pull the cover all the way open you can see if the cover sits crooked to the tailgate or if it's not allowing the tailgate to shut. Once the frame is sitting prefectly, I slowly retracted it and tightened the front bolts down with a ratchet between the panels taking care not to scratch them.

Panels Retracted to check for any binding.

I also recieved a Pop&Lock tailgate kit. It just slides under the tailgate latch and prevents anyone from opening it. Installation was a little tougher than expected because you have to muscle the bracket into a wedge position so the ears on the bracket can grab the inside of the casing. It sticks with a double-sided tape as well.

Opening is simple. Apply steady pressure and the panel will just fall.

I decided to start install and try to beat the weather...Unfortunately I had to stop and wait a few days to finish. This is why you see snowy pics and sunny pics...haha
Total install time took 2.5hrs which included me spraying a few of the parts. If I didn't have 2 beers and spray the parts, install would have taken only 2hrs. I would set aside 3hrs just incase you have more beer than I did..lol

All-in-all, the cover is very nice. The finish is a nice Satin powdercoat. You can't go wrong for the money. Compared to other covers that are several hundreds more, I like the use, looks and functionality of this cover much better. While it doesn't have locking positions, generally if your using your bed your willing to open up the entire cover anyways.
Total time to take the cover off would be about 3-4minutes. Same with install.
The cover is not waterproof, none are, but it will certainly keep things relatively dry. Since I have a bedliner, anything on the bedmat will stay completely dry. Peragon does sell a tailgate seal kit for those who have bedrugs or are looking for the most protection possible.
Rodger from Peragon was quick to answer any questions and sent me confirmation emails on shipping and updates for the installation methods. They seemed quick with service and very knowledgable about their product.

For those interested:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/vendor-...-discount.html

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-08-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 AM
lyndo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great looking cover. Didn't have time to go through the whole write up but i'm sure its top notch coming from you. Love the looks of the solid cover while still being nice and compact when its folded.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Very nice! Don't forget the socket that's in the bed under the green sandbag lookin thing!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM
cjs4444
All Star

I have had a Peragon cover for about 3 years now and its been awesome...mine does not look as shiny as yours but i love how it works and whenever someone see's me open it they think its cool. I plan on buying a new one when money permits but i love their product.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought you JUST posted about getting rid of that truck? Don't you know you NEVER get your money back out of mods???

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the compliments guys. it really is a great looking and functioning cover!

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
Very nice! Don't forget the socket that's in the bed under the green sandbag lookin thing!
hahahahha, I was looking for that. Good eye. Thanks
Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I thought you JUST posted about getting rid of that truck? Don't you know you NEVER get your money back out of mods???
Your just jealous..lol
Wifey actually said no to selling, plus you talked me out of it remember.

I've been wanting a cover since new. This wraps up everything I've wanted for now besides the Front level which I've decided against for nwo.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for taking the time to do that excellent review!

If anyone has questions that I can help with, let me know.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
lyndo
Rookie

is there any way to lock this cover? If you only have to push on the top to release it, how is it locked? I'm assuming since you put a lock on your tailgate there's a way to do it, maybe I missed something. Also, you don't need any hand tools to remove the folding sections from the rails do you? looking at the videos on their website it looks like you just twist it and it comes out from the rails. I really like the looks of this cover.

edit: Just read some of the reviews/ answers in other threds/forums and fount that it does reeve without tools, so thats greed. And never mind about the lock, i'm guessing that's what the little plastic cover is covering on the last section, a lock that makes it so you can't push it down to open it?

Last edited by lyndo; 03-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Thanks for the compliments guys. it really is a great looking and functioning cover!

hahahahha, I was looking for that. Good eye. Thanks

Your just jealous..lol
Wifey actually said no to selling, plus you talked me out of it remember.

I've been wanting a cover since new. This wraps up everything I've wanted for now besides the Front level which I've decided against for nwo.
No more winch wishing???

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lyndo
is there any way to lock this cover? If you only have to push on the top to release it, how is it locked? I'm assuming since you put a lock on your tailgate there's a way to do it, maybe I missed something. Also, you don't need any hand tools to remove the folding sections from the rails do you? looking at the videos on their website it looks like you just twist it and it comes out from the rails. I really like the looks of this cover.
lyndo,

Yes, the cover can be secured. The lock is on the driver side, next to the cab. It engages a heat treated, 3/8" steel rod into the driver rail. There is an option for a second lock rod that slides into the passenger rail to give an extra measure of security. The cover will not open when the standard single lock rod is engaged, but the passenger side of the cover could be pushed down about 3" (gas spring is being pushed against). Some folks prefer that this side be locked up as well. If you think your cover would be subject to someone poking around looking for a way to get into it, the second lock rod would be a worthwhile addition.

The first two panels next to the cab are held up into the rail system by two gas springs. They keep the cover closed and the lock is there to provide security. The lock must also be used when going through a car wash due to the high speed blowers and when you expect significant snowfall.

No tools are required for removal of the panel group. The following video shows how it's done. The video doesn't show it, but you'll also need to disconnect the gas springs, also done without tools.Video

Last edited by Peragon; 03-15-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Mod time...Got me a Peragon foldable hard tonneau cover!! PICS!!