3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
GirlTruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!

Okay boys, help a girl out here...
I have a 2003 5.7 L Hemi 3/4 ton, with 60K, having that nightmare of a problem with the throttle, idle, stalling, revving, lurching, etc, etc. I have read probalby every post in the 3rd Gen forum and finally figured I would just joint and start one of my own.

From the sounds of it, I guess I should be happy my truck just started the problem at 60K and not sooner. So after $425 at the dealership it is STILL there after 2 days and they insist it is fixed, however, when I can't get it out of the parking lot IT IS NOT FIXED!

Day 1: dealership cleaned throttle body (fully, removed and all), cleaned fuel injector system (needed this anyway), and reflashed the computer with the Throttle software upgrades (posted no codes).
Result: leaving parking lot still surged, irregular RPM, wouldn't excellerate, etc. All the same symptoms. Turned right around...

Day 2: dealership "made more adjustments" (whatever that means) and I was assured the problem was solved.
Result: drove 5 mi to work, problem seemed to be fixed, however, I was not convinced since it doesn't do it 100% of the time. 30 min later when leaving work it revved, stalled and had a #$@! of a time getting back to the dealership in rush hour traffic!

Now I wait to see what the dealership has to say. However, I really want to be proactive instead of just sitting there like "a girl" when the dealership takes me for all my time and money!

So does anyone have any other ideas? Would the Throttle Position Sensor be completely bad and the dealership just not catch it? What about the MAP sensor I have been reading about? I feel like this is a pretty common problem so the dealership should know how to fix it, however, that does not seem to be the case.

OH, another tid bit...it just had a 60K check at the same dealership about 800 miles ago. They cleaned a bunch of things, replaced an O2 sensor, new breaks pads/rotors all around. (WHOO! Big bill there!)

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to include everything!!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the PCM is setting any codes, it would be good to post them. After re reading your post, did this start AFTER the shop did all the work?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track, most common causes are a dirty throttle body, bad TPS or MAP sensor (and if the throttle body was really dirty, both sensors could be iffy) and a bad EGR valve, but I don't believe the '03 has an EGR.
But you are right, they are common issues that result in what you are describing, you would think a decent mechanic would rule them out. I'd still ask when you go back...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, the dealer will get it right this time!!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yep 03's don't have an EGR HammerZ71.
I wonder if they've screwed the 02 sensors or replaced then with a defective sensor when they did all that inital work at 60K?
It can happen. I've had a lot of stuff defective out of the box.
With all this "kangarooin'", I'm sure a code or two must be set.
On the 03's GirlTruck, you can do the "key trick".
I have an 03 and it works 100%.
Just leave the truck in park and switched off.
Switch the ignition to where the dash lights come on and then, switch right back off again. Don't turn over the engine.
Do this 3 times in total in under 3 seconds and on the 3rd time, leave the key in the ignition on setting, with all the lights on the dash on. ie on/off/on/off/on and leave it in the on position.
In the oddometer display it will say various codes begining with a letter.
Such as the infamous P0457 code which relate to a bad/loose gas cap seal.
If there are no codes to be displayed, it wil say ----- then a message saying "done" and then go back to displaying your mileage.
Try this and post up any codes.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 09-07-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Adding more text.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Al,
I couldn't remember the "key" procedure as I have a scanner and never use the key method.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
abarmby
Champion

No Probs Gone Fishin.
I like many on here, know what it's like to have a problem and be unsure as to what to do next??
Especially if you have a feeling that the steelership is doing.... well.....just that.
This and other sites like it, are a Gold mine of good advise, which I have taken on many occasions.
Al.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
GirlTruck
Default The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!

Thanks Guys! This site is great for things like this! I really do feel like the steelership (love that term!) is taking me for a ride. Since the truck is still there I can't do the "key dance" but will try it if I get to pick it up again. However, when they re-flashed the computer they said there was no codes posted.

As for when this started happening. Yes, it did all start to do down hill fast after they did the work at 60K a few months ago. However, over the last 2 years it would do something similar (not stall, but just bog down when going to accelerate) once in a blue moon, at start up, however, I would just turn it off and turn it back on again, and it was usually gone. OH, and never when hauling anything. It started getting really bad every time I hauled my horse trailer. However, it just does it about 85% of the time now and turning it on and off does not help anything any more.

Monday I will call them first thing and ask about the replacement of the 2 sensnor, as far as I know, they didn't touch them, but just did the cleaning. I will keep everyone posted!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

bad gas/fuel system perhaps?
Since it's been happening for a long time, i wonder if you just had stuff building up in the tank, and now there's a bunch of crap in the fuel system.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
GirlTruck

They did a fuel injector cleaning on Day 1 when they had it, would that help the buildup? I used to use mid-grade gas, when it was cheap that is. Now I can bearly afford to drive it, yet alone use the high test stuff, so I am going with the regular. Would that make a difference?

Quick Reply: The Throttle/Idle Nightmare! Help please!