3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Black Magic Fan Install Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Magic Fan Install Time

My fan arrived this morning but I was unable to find the time to install it today. How long will this take, give or take? I have a few things planned for tomorrowand want to know whether I can get it knocked out before I go or if I will have to wait until after. Based on the look of the instructions it looks fairly cut and dry like I should have it done in an hour or two. Anyone?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would say schedule at least 3 hrs. This will give you time to neatly and correctly run the wiring and mount control module.

Plus, sometimes removing the OEM fan can be a pita.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Pirata
Champion

That's about the buffer I was thinking and I if I start working at 7 I will have 4 hours before I need to leave.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 PM
jbrowder
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put mine in last night. It took me about 4 hours to put in. I decided that I wanted to hide the controller from view so that took a little more time.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Pirata
Champion

What did you guys use to remove the fan. My Haynes manual states a spanner wrench but after an hour search todAl locally I hve not come up with one. I could order one online but it would take a few days to get here. I was thinking of 90 degree needle nosed pliers. Anyone?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ended up making a tool by drilling two holes in a 2x4 and sticking a couple bolts through it insert into the holes, then the fan spun right off. I think Bear just jammed a screwdriver in one of the holes and held it with one hand and spun the fan off with the other.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Pirata
Champion

I'll try here in a little while as my engine was too hot earlier as a result of driving to work on. Now it's cooler I will try again. I did find out earlier that 90 degree needle nosed pliers would not open far enough. I'll figure our something. Now does anything need to be bolded back in place once I get that nut off?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

This is what I used. I made it out of some scrap metal and bolts. I put the bolts in the metal to match the hole pattern in the pulley. The bolts go in the holes in the pulley and hold it in place while you take the fan off.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Pirata
Champion

Ok installed. I do have a question, where abouts does the temp guage hit 180? I drove it after installing it and the guage got a little over half. Once home I found they did not intall the fuse on the wiring, go figure but once I installed the fuse it still had not come on no matter where I put the dial. I tere a way to test the fan to verify I installed correctly?

Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Pirata
Champion

Also, where did you mount the coolant and washer reserviors? I have it jerry rigged but I want something a lot better than how I have it.

Quick Reply: Black Magic Fan Install Time