3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 3rd gen Ram Got Spanked!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 3rd gen Ram Got Spanked!

On the highway, keeping to the right hand land lane when I decide to start passing in the left. I see some fast cars in a convoy so of course thats a rarity for me so I wanted to join. So long story short, an Audi S 5 walks me, a BMW m3 and my all inclusive car a ford tauras station wagon all seemed to just keep pulling away from me... I am at WOT the entire time. I caught and passed the taurus but it took forever and I think because he hit his limiter as I dont have one...

I can think OK the Audi and the BMW no problem but pffff a wagon!
Mods for my 4.7L: Superchips 91 octane, powerwire, Airaid MIT, 2009 Intake, 70mm TB, JBA headers, Muffler removed 3'' straight pipe welded in. These mods didnt seem to help as I was getting walked by this wagon. Just short of a supercharger what can I do to make my 4.7L a little quicker w/o spending too much thats not on my list?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

you were topping out your ram?! you gotta realize they have you dominated on drag. you'll need twice the horsepower they use to go speeds that fast.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what gears do you have ? my 04 4.7 smokes my taurus all the way and then some and i dont have many problems with keeping up i get smoked to by faster cars but i do pretty well against trucks... intake exhaust powerwire thats all for performance help i have...i also have 3:92 gears my 04 runs like a top .....its no rocket but it does pretty good

Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

weight is where they are gonna get ya everytime. You also have to consider you have the smaller motor in there so it takes even more effort to get your truck up to speed. My bro always gives me crap when a little car beats me but he just laughs when I say it's a matter of weight, not power. It takes a heck of alot less power to move 3,000 pounds (most cars don't even weight that i don't think) compared to 6,000 or however much our trucks weigh.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
weight is where they are gonna get ya everytime. You also have to consider you have the smaller motor in there so it takes even more effort to get your truck up to speed. My bro always gives me crap when a little car beats me but he just laughs when I say it's a matter of weight, not power. It takes a heck of alot less power to move 3,000 pounds (most cars don't even weight that i don't think) compared to 6,000 or however much our trucks weigh.

weight kills you on acceleration. drag kills you on speed. average car nowadays weights about 3500. [/****]

Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you have overdrive off, or tow mode on? (whichever you have) with my truck, if i want to get any top speed i have to have OD off... otherwise it just goes the same speed even it its floored. od off is another story (i think it only lets it shift up to 3rd gear..) the higher the rpms get the harder it pulls....
then again i have a hemi..

Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I have 3.55 open diff. I hit it to the floor after I went into the left lane to pass this guy in the right, after i passed him, I then went into the right lane. I stayed in the right and WOT the truck within 2-3 seconds of them going to pass me on the left. It was just a shock that the wagon was owning me. In 5th gear at wot it was pegged at 4k and wouldnt go any higher. I dont know if I caught the truck on a bad day or possibly bad timing or what. I do know tommorow I am putting in a new IAC valve, but im pretty sure that doesnt affect accelaration to much if any.
I was going to do a gear swap to 4.10's considering I have a 29'' tire. Shop wants 550+ 250 for supplies. That's a rebuild of the gearing because I have 72k. I am post poning that due to funds being tight...

Last edited by Ilovemytruck; 12-10-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4k isnt revving high enough... take it out of OD!!! to get power out of those motors you gotta rev em a little

Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

i dont know. my brother in law has a fire bird and i whoop him every time, but i do have the hemi and my govenor set to 150mhp

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You may have hit your top speed limiter if you haven't changed it with the tuner. Mine is set at 150 which is default when adding a Diablo tune. I had mine @ 110 the other day and wasn't even pushing it. Was still in 5th gear.

Quick Reply: My 3rd gen Ram Got Spanked!