3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Hemi Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Raaaamyourmom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Hemi Engine Knock

So I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.7 hemi engine. Heres what happens, I start up the engine and it idles really high right away and knocks right when i turn the key then it goes back to idle and knocks like normal, It knocks quicker and louder as I drive. There is still torque and everything shifts fine. Ive hit over 3000rpms and have no problems... I have taken it to my best friend whole always gives me the best advice and always treats me well. He told me the motor was blown. Before I toke it to him I have been told the valves may need adjusted. I drive the truck everyday and the gas mileage keeps going down its at 8.9 mpg now. I have been reading up on this and trying to diagnose this problem for a while. I really dont think its the hemi valvetrain but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Because for one I cannot tell if its coming from the top or bottom end... Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it colder than usual outside??

got some sound clips??

Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Raaaamyourmom

Yes I uploaded a video and sound to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDQWRNUNZ68

Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all, these valves are not adjustable. Secondly, go get a mechanics stethoscope from an auto parts store and probe around with the engine running to see where it is coming from.

How many miles are on it and how long as it being doing this? Have you pulled the valve covers and checked under them?

Where are you located?

Moved to the technical section BTW.

Last edited by weedahoe; 01-31-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Raaaamyourmom

I'm from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, I uploaded a video on the truck starting up and idleing. I also did do that it sounds like its coming from inside the valve covers. It might be broken valve springs because I know that's a common problem on this engine. But I don't think broken valve springs would make it sound that bad. About 168,000 and prolly the past 1,000 miles.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds pretty bad. Notice the loud knocking before it settles into the rpm-based clicking. My vote is a very unhappy rod bearing.

I'd start looking for another Hemi to drop in its place.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Raaaamyourmom

I actually rebuild the engines myself. So ill just rip that out rebuild it and put it back in. I'm just looking for answers. Cuz I'm getting to many different ones lol

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Buggsy
Professional

That start up sound made me cringe. The quite tick/knock on idle isn't so bad. I don't own a Hemi, but I know they tick. Maybe it's a little deceiving on the video.

Can you make another video? Put the camera on the engine and start it up. Let it idle and give it a little rev. The start up knock sounds severe, but it could be a valve sticking closed. Does it knock like that on start up if the engine is hot? I have to agree with John, it sounds like a spun bearing death-knock.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Raaaamyourmom

Yes it knocks the same with the engine hott. Here's the next YouTube video lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFvn6-6G-E

Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
HouseApe
Professional

Wow do you have oil pressure ?

Sounds like the lifters are not pumped up. Did you mix up the push rods? Or the rockers ?
The intake rockers have an "I" on them. And the Short Push rods are for the intake side.

Last edited by HouseApe; 01-31-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Hemi Engine Knock