3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

At wits end!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 01:29 PM
Rick Tanner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At wits end!!!!!!

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with a 4.7. I keep getting a dtc p0340. I have checked the wiring, all is good. Replaced the cam and crank sensors. I have replaced the ECM that was programed to my Vin number. Still getting the p0340 code. What I am missing

Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to Third Gen Ram section for ya.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:22 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Are there any symptoms, or just the light?

Old 06-20-2020, 01:41 AM
Rick Tanner

Idles rough and runs rough.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What brand is the cam sensor? If not factory I might consider trying original equipment?

Old 06-20-2020, 10:06 AM
Rick Tanner

I used only OEM sensors. Went and put dielectric grease in all of the connections.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:03 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmm. So you have 2 different ecms grumbling about cam sensor signal. And that's 2 different cam sensors.
Just some ideas. Maybe check resistance in cam sensor wires from sensor to ecm? With battery disconnected of course.
Possible internal engine fault.? I'm not familiar with 4.7 front timing area. How does the sensor get a signal. Is there a tone ring on the camshaft? Is engine running so poorly that the cam is out of time indicating a main timing issue?

Old 06-20-2020, 03:21 PM
drummerchuckb1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick Tanner
I used only OEM sensors. Went and put dielectric grease in all of the connections.
You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case. Dielectric grease is not conductive, so if you put it directly on the pins themselves that could result in a poor connection and should be cleaned off with some electronics cleaner.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Warfield (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 03:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by drummerchuckb1
You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case. Dielectric grease is not conductive, so if you put it directly on the pins themselves that could result in a poor connection and should be cleaned off with some electronics cleaner.
I liberally apply dielectric grease on all my connections, including the pins and plastic plugs. The grease doesn't prevent metal contact as it's light enough to be forced out of the way on any type of pressure connection. It repels moisture, keeps the contacts clean and easy to pull. It's also good for rubber (it's silicone). I can't thing of any car related connection where using it would be an issue. It actually reduces connection issues by preventing any sort of building or corrosion on the surfaces.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-20-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:03 PM
drummerchuckb1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I liberally apply dielectric grease on all my connections, including the pins and plastic plugs. The grease doesn't prevent metal contact as it's light enough to be forced out of the way on any type of pressure connection. It repels moisture, keeps the contacts clean and easy to pull. It's also good for rubber (it's silicone). I can't thing of any car related connection where using it would be an issue. It actually reduces connection issues by preventing any sort of building or corrosion on the surfaces.
Sure, I use it too, although I tend to put it around the seal of the connection and not directly on the pins. But sometimes it gets on pins and that's usually ok, so I don't doubt your success with it. But it sounded like the OP added dielectric grease to connections with new sensors as a troubleshooting step to make a better connection (maybe I misinterpreted the post). But if you don't have a good connection to begin with, then dielectric grease won't make it better.

Quick Reply: At wits end!!!!!!