3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Coldness

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Rgory
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AC Coldness

Well some interesting reads here,

I took my 06 Quad Cab in for a "service special" on monday to prepare for a 200 mile trip to move my g/f into Grad school. While they were changing the oil and rotating the tires I asked them to look at my a/c because although it felt cool, it lacked intensity or real force coming out of the vents. I also asked them to take a look at the 4wd shift lever and try to straighten the shaft out- they cocked it when they replaced my radio. I made the mistake of not going to my ussual service advisor and instead dealt with his manager, I realized this when hecalled me and told me that all of the shafts on their lot were cockedone wayor another, and that they straightenend it out anyways to do me a favor. He said favor because he claims that the boot/bezel does not have to come off toreplace the radio (Which I know for a fact that it does, but I played along) He also said thathe repositioned my cupholder part of the console and noticed the trailer wiringmodule down there and thats when the shaft must have gone astrayed. (Well strike 2, the module he saw was the box for my I-pod interface that I installed)

Anyways back to the meat of the post, he finally chirps in that he had the A/C down to 41 and that was more than acceptable.Mentioned nothing about flow. So I picked it up, dont really drive the truck as much as I should- and when I do I drive with the windows down. The 90 heat tends not to bother me, but today for the hell of it I throw the A/C on high with recirc and my ENTIRE TRUCK BEGAN TO VIBRATE.

Straight to the dealer, talk to my ussual s/a and he sent a tech out to look at it at the end of the day. Apparently it was the same guy as the other day because he goes yeah we really didnt do much other than check pressures the other day. And your vibration is probabbly caused by a piece of paper- happens all the time. Proceeds to the truck turns it on, hears the noise and goes uhhhh.... Bring it back tomorrow. So I now have no flow from any of my vents. I have to rely on them to fix it in one day- which I am not counting on, and I get to drive to Milwaukee with no A/C.

Didnt mean to make this soo long, just curious what I should be looking for. A bad damper door? New blower Motor? Loaner truck? (Although I didnt buy this truck from them)

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

If its vibrating that bad almost sounds like the compressor is locked up. But if that was the case you would still have your blower fan working. So since you had a problem with flow before and now have none, i'm going to guess that your blower wheel is shot, or hitting on something. What do they mean caused by a piece of paper? How can a piece of paper cause that?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM
eltupac
All Star

Mine never cooled well from the beginning, 07/2005. It seems like its every summer (duhh!!) but it can never cool well. I just drove with some friends to lunch and they were all complaining about my A/C, making fun of me. Embarrasing. It really sucks, it takes about 15 minutes for it to cool enough and be comfortable.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM
motorider228
Champion

Well I was reading this thread this morning and I was thinking "well I'm kind of fortunate that my AC is blowing nicely" Well I got in my truck and turned it on this afternoon and it was blowing really faintly so I turned it all the way up and it made a loud POP! and now on the highest setting it blows less than the lowest setting, it's just really loud. It seems like something may be obstructing the path way through the vents. Thank god for my truck only having 13,000 on her so I can take her in under warranty. The soonest I could get in is Tuesday so I have to deal with a crappy AC and Las Vegas heat until then.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
darend

My 06 Megacab just did the same thing. There is a TSB to fix this and the dealer had the truck for about 7 hours to complete. They have to take the dash apart to get at it, but works fine now! Even in our AZ heat, A/C is very cold. Truck cools down nicely, even at 110 out side at Lake Havasu. Window tint makes a huge difference too!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Well I picked mine up after work today and it was the damper door? for the recirc? I believe, butthey didnt really tell me. I asked for a loaner and was handed a prompt NO. I pushed a little and got the run around. So thats when they took the door out and said it will at least work, just not very cold.

I will have to admit that the flow is better now and I was sufficiently satisfied with the A/C performance.

When the tech came to give me my truck back he was confiding in me that whomever worked on it on Monday must not have done anything because he surely should have caught this. This local dealer is starting to disapoint me. I hate their sales department. But have always treated well by the service advisors, now I am not soo sure. And to think, I have to leave my truck with them to take the whole dash apart on Mon when the part comes, well it makes me cringeto say the least. These are the same people who saw my I-pod interface and told me that it was for the trailer wiring installed at the factory.I can already hear the squeaks and rattles in my head.

Well have a good weekend guys, I will let you know how this goes onMonday

Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
capsap33
Amateur

Gotta agree w/u on this one - the Dodge A/C do suck. My 99 5.9 360 is a very solid engine/truck, but the A/C doesnt even come close to my previous Honda's/Lexus/Toyota's/Nissan's I've owned. Of (4) Jap vehicles, I've only done A/c maintenance on (1), and that was just chaning a needle valve and adding R-134 - and that was over a 10+ year period (LOL)! Although, I have been tweeking it this summer to where it is actually "cold" I am now dealing with an intermittent warm-air prob, which I believe it turning out to be a faulty hi-pressure cut-off switch. Other than that, I really like my truck - just wish they would take tips on Air Conditioning from the Japanese manufacturers.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine works ok. My 01 Ford was colder. It blew 34* on the hottest days on recirc.
The Ram gets down to about 40* to 42* after driving for awhile. It is fully charged and will keep the truck quite comfortable. The tinted windows help too!!

Oh and nice job on using the search function and finding this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Mine works ok also...on 100+* days it takes awhile to get cold but it gets at least cool pretty quick.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM
capsap33
Amateur

. . .nonetheless, i still really enjoy my "Baby Hulk" (LOL) - since tinting the windows its gets pretty darn cold in there (my wife complains and cant turn the fan past "2" when she rides - thats a complaint i can live with I also took some tips from other "a/c evaporator replacement" posts and wrapped my low side lines (cold lines and accumulator) with aluminum insulation and foil to deflect engine heat - it dropped my temp significantly - I'd say the temp went down at least 5 degrees by doing that. This Dodge forum has been awesome in helping me get my a/c up to and beyond working like my old Japanese vehic's - thx guys!

Quick Reply: AC Coldness