4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trade In Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
GMacGyver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade In Value

I am going to stop by the dealer tomorrow and investigate the possibility of trading my 2009 Ram 1500 Lone Star in on a Laramie. Anyone here done this or checked into it. I am sure I will be amazed at the Ridiculously Low offer I will get. Anyone have any insight on this? After 13,000 miles I decided there are things on the Laramie I would like to have.

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

typically you lose 20% of your msrp the second you drive it off the lot.

BUT... since most of us were getting $10,000+ off our msrp when we bought the truck.. that typical assumption is going to be way off...

my question to you would be this... if your truck was 30k... and they give you 25k in on the trade in... wouldn't that $5000 loss your going to take buy the options you were wanting on the laramie?

I'm sure you can get whatever options you want put on for less than 5 grand...

what options are you so enamored with?

i was thinking of trading in my laramie but not for another truck.. i want a challenger...

hmmm... wanna buy my truck? lol

Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
navyr6
Professional

hey GMacGyver,
any word on what you got offered? i'm kind of interested in trading mine in on a diesel, just curious about what kind of money is floating around out there.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
sking
Veteran

Originally Posted by navyr6
hey GMacGyver,
any word on what you got offered? i'm kind of interested in trading mine in on a diesel, just curious about what kind of money is floating around out there.
Do you want a 6.7? I sold my 08 6.7 to get the 09 hemi. My 09 gets better mpg than my 6.7 did on its best day and pulls well to. It is said the 2010.5 2500 with the bigger hemi will get better mpg than the 6.7. Dont mean to rant but the 6.7 is junk.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
mike2810
Captain

Check Edmunds or KKB for an idea of what you will get. Questions I would be asking myself are:
* Is my current truck financed and if so what is the rate? What rate will I get for the new vehicle. If my truck is paid off can I pay cash again for the new truck or what rate can I get to finance it?
* If I buy a 2010, it won't have the lifetime warranty, Is that worth getting rid of the truck does have a lifetime powertrain warranty?
* Have I looked into the cost of adding the options I'm missing versus buying the new truck?
Either way, you most likely will get killed in a trade in. No longer employee pricing, maybe no 0% interest rate, and no large discounts like they have done earlier.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM
dava2500
Rookie

Quote:

Do you want a 6.7? I sold my 08 6.7 to get the 09 hemi. My 09 gets better mpg than my 6.7 did on its best day and pulls well to. It is said the 2010.5 2500 with the bigger hemi will get better mpg than the 6.7. Dont mean to rant but the 6.7 is junk.

Me too, couldn't stand the thought of burning off diesel at 55-60 mph, just cos the DPF was full, either that or wait till it went into limp, and then struggle to a dealer !
Had an 01 and an 03 Cummins, couldn't fault them, but the 6.7 ..............
Unless of course you get a delete, and then.............no warranty ?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
navyr6
Professional

Originally Posted by sking
not a problem with the rant(s)- i'm wanting to get a 5.9, i know all about the 6.7's problems and want nothing to do with it. the 5.9's are easier to mod anyway and are harder to void the warranty. i'd prefer a 5.9 mega cab 4wd with a stick, everything else is pretty much open to negotiation.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
jram99
Veteran

GMacGyver, I bought an 09 in Nov of 08 then decided I just couldn't live without the rambox. I traded the Nov truck on a rambox truck in April. I had 2551 miles. I paid $35k for the truck in Nov and they gave me $27k trade in April. Because the truck was financed I was upside down $10,700. I got $9700 in incentives in April. So basically I paid sticker for the new truck by the time it was all said and done. Buying the truck in Nov was a really bad decission on my part. I convinced myself that I didn't need or want the rambox and bought the truck. Didn't have it 2 mos before I was kicking myself in the ***! My wife and I tend to keep our vehicles for 10 years or more so I just decided I would take the hit and make the rambox truck last 12-15 years this time. In order to get my payments the same I had to fork over $6k down payment and I found a credit union to finance me at 3.8%. My suggestion is that you sell your truck for the most you can get yourself, pay off the difference, then go to the dealer starting from scratch. I do understand that feeling though of wanting something after the fact. Jeff.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by jram99
GMacGyver, I bought an 09 in Nov of 08 then decided I just couldn't live without the rambox. I traded the Nov truck on a rambox truck in April. I had 2551 miles. I paid $35k for the truck in Nov and they gave me $27k trade in April. Because the truck was financed I was upside down $10,700. I got $9700 in incentives in April. So basically I paid sticker for the new truck by the time it was all said and done. Buying the truck in Nov was a really bad decission on my part. I convinced myself that I didn't need or want the rambox and bought the truck. Didn't have it 2 mos before I was kicking myself in the ***! My wife and I tend to keep our vehicles for 10 years or more so I just decided I would take the hit and make the rambox truck last 12-15 years this time. In order to get my payments the same I had to fork over $6k down payment and I found a credit union to finance me at 3.8%. My suggestion is that you sell your truck for the most you can get yourself, pay off the difference, then go to the dealer starting from scratch. I do understand that feeling though of wanting something after the fact. Jeff.
Was your Nov bought truck a crew cab? I'm wondering if you could have bought a Ram-box bed, had it painted and swapped onto your truck (minus the tailgate which you could swap), then sold your bed for less than the 10k hit you took.

If you already have the truck, there are always options to mod it to your liking versus total replacement. In the case of this Laramie, make sure you do your homework on what options are the ones you want out of the Laramie and see what it will take add them to yours. Your seats can be redone with heating elements and leather by aftermarket shops. You can probably buy the bling wheels from someone on here who doesn't like chrome clad. Good luck.

Last edited by Secret Agent Man; 08-27-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

yeah.. i would have just ordered the ram box for 2 grand and had it installed...

you then could have even sold your original bed to recoup some of the cost...

thats a route i have been thinking of for a while now...

Quick Reply: Trade In Value