4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 05:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonna RAM Ya
I learned a lot more about Dodge, FCA, and my 2016 RAM 1500 by reading these posts. Thank you to everyone who shared. I have four broken bolts needing to be replaced at 100,000 miles. It sucks to learn this has not been fully addressed by FCA. Perhaps they are waiting on legal action.

I still have some research to do to decide what is going to be the best action for the long haul. I am not one to make empty threats or waste time but it sure seems this problem warrants more than a few pages of online rants from angry owners. If I have something else more productive to contribute, I will.
Replace the stock manifolds with some shorty headers, and good hardware/gaskets. Fix it once, fix it right, don't worry about it again.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
Gonna RAM Ya (06-23-2022), jkeaton (06-24-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 05:43 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What brand of headers are most using to replace the crappy manifolds? I see many different ones, but seems like lots have bad reviews.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2022, 07:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, this is one of those things that just ain't cheap. Stay away from the cheap chineseium 'stainless steel' fellers...... They don't always fit properly, and they don't last. Buy some good ones, install them properly, and be done with the problem.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:01 PM
Bunkram2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2018 has broken bolts.

Originally Posted by Crabman
If Dodge really Cares, where are they. Why isn't Dodge taking ownership of their design flaw? Instead Dodge Cares about keeping this quiet. In order to discuss the problem, Dodge wants it done in Private Message. Why??? WE ALL KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE MANIFOLD BOLTS, WHY ISN'T DODGE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT???? Again, this is no different than how Dodge screwed us with the 360 5.9L with intake plenum problems.

Dodge Cares, has the problem been fixed in the newer trucks or is the problem still happening? IF I WERE TO BUY A 2018 DODGE RAM, WILL THE MANIFOLD BOLTS BREAK OR HAS THERE BEEN A FIX? I'm thinking about buying a new truck but if Dodge is still having the problem, it may be time to move on. My first of seven Dodge vehicles was a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger. This 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie with the broken manifold bolts Hemi engine, may be my last.

Does Dodge Care? No, they would just like me to stop talking about it. Truthfully, this forum is only a drop in the bucket of Dodge customers. They will try to quiet up any negative publicity but for the most part, Dodge just doesn't Care.
Broken manifold studs to name just one of the MANY!!! problems I've had with this truck and its less than a year old to me. Certified pre owned from dodge means they bought it washed it fixed as little as possible and put it back on the lot. RAM ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT CARE!!! just spent over 5k letting someone else fix my heads because I refuse to let a dodge technician diagnose or even look at my truck anymore. I took my truck in 2 days after I bought it and they had to replace my heater core, water pump, and thermostat. A few months later and I am now realizing that the dealer straight lied to me about replacing the parts. So I spent this Christmas bumming rides to get to family and I have put probably about $8500 into a 4 yr old certified pre owned piece of ****. Definitely gonna be the last dodge chrysler ram jeep fiat scam I will ever be a part of again. RAM DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2023, 09:11 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello,

Our team understands your frustrations regarding your vehicle's manifold bolts. We are here to assist and support you alongside your dealership. As such, we ask that you reach out via private message to streamline communication and maintain your privacy. Know we are always here as a resource to you if desired. Hope to connect with you shortly!

Hannah
Dodge Cares

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-04-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 09:00 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Hello,

Our team understands your frustrations regarding your vehicle's manifold bolts. We are here to assist and support you alongside your dealership. As such, we ask that you reach out via private message to streamline communication and maintain your privacy. Know we are always here as a resource to you if desired. Hope to connect with you shortly!

Hannah
Dodge Cares
Why does the discussion have to be done by private message? Thousands have had manifold bolt problems. What are you going to say in a private message that will help solve the problem?

Old 01-08-2023, 10:53 AM
Plainbroke
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Class Action Lawsuit is the only way to get big corporations' attention now days. They will just ignore or never know about problems because lower to mid-level management will hide it to keep the profits up and complaints down. So, they can keep getting performance raises and bonus.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge Cares. I'm on my third set of manifold bolts and once again, they broke. I'm not worried about my privacy so we don't need to do this by private message. What are you and Dodge going to do to help fix my problem? Hannah, do you even know what a manifold bolt is? How about explaining why the manifold bolts are breaking and what Dodge is doing to fix the problem. 190,000 people have read this thread and are interested in your answer.

Last edited by Crabman; 01-09-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crabman
Dodge Cares. I'm on my third set of manifold bolts and once again, they broke. I'm not worried about my privacy so we don't need to do this by private message. What are you and Dodge going to do to help fix my problem? Hannah, do you even know what a manifold bolt is? How about explaining why the manifold bolts are breaking and what Dodge is doing to fix the problem. 190,000 people have read this thread and are interested in your answer.
The problem is the manifold design. And just changing out the bolts only treats the symptom, not the cause. Shorty headers, good gaskets, and decent bolts, ends the problem permanently. Of course, dodge won't do it that way... at best, they will replace the bolts... again.... and you'll be right back here in a year or three.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 08:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The problem is the manifold design. And just changing out the bolts only treats the symptom, not the cause. Shorty headers, good gaskets, and decent bolts, ends the problem permanently. Of course, dodge won't do it that way... at best, they will replace the bolts... again.... and you'll be right back here in a year or three.
Still complaining.....

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?