4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 04:23 AM
sonap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys .. I have a RAM 1500 2017 with only 48,000 miles. 3 manifold bolts (left side) are just broken. So the issue remains ..
Guess I will have to expact that for the right side soon (?)

Someone told me that this happens because the car cools down fast, and there is some extra gadget /cover that is allowing it to cool down slower.. Is that info correct ? IF yes, what is that cover?

Last edited by sonap; 10-28-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-28-2021, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by sonap
Hi guys .. I have a RAM 1500 2017 with only 48,000 miles. 3 manifold bolts (left side) are just broken. So the issue remains ..

Someone told me that this happens because the car cools down fast, and there is some extra gadget /cover that is allowing it to cool down slower.. Is that info correct ? IF yes, what is that cover?
The trouble is the manifold design itself. It concentrates the heat in the rear part of the manifold, and bolts start breaking. The only real fix I have seen, is replacing the stock manifolds with some shorty headers.....

Old 10-28-2021, 12:58 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sonap

I can't believe this is happening on the newer trucks. The studs break every 40K miles on my 09 Ram 1500 5.7. I just crossed 200K miles and there are some broken now for the 5th time. I just haven't wanted to be without my truck for 2 or 3 days while they repair it. Thankful to have my lifetime warranty in place for 09 original owner. Knowing that this is still going on after 13 years would make me take it into consideration on buying a new truck. Surely the G5 models aren't going to have this problem.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Keniji1801
Default Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
I can't believe this is happening on the newer trucks. The studs break every 40K miles on my 09 Ram 1500 5.7. I just crossed 200K miles and there are some broken now for the 5th time. I just haven't wanted to be without my truck for 2 or 3 days while they repair it. Thankful to have my lifetime warranty in place for 09 original owner. Knowing that this is still going on after 13 years would make me take it into consideration on buying a new truck. Surely the G5 models aren't going to have this problem.
Is it only the hemi engine that has this problem or is it the 4.7 as well. I have a 4.7 and am starting to see references to this with 4.7 HO engines. If so, how would i know if I have a HO or standard?

Old 11-06-2021, 05:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Keniji1801
Is it only the hemi engine that has this problem or is it the 4.7 as well. I have a 4.7 and am starting to see references to this with 4.7 HO engines. If so, how would i know if I have a HO or standard?
by the VIN number.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:18 PM
Keniji1801
Default 4.7 as well?

Originally Posted by jkeaton
by the VIN number.
Does the 4.7 engine have this bolt breaking problem as well?

Old 11-07-2021, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keniji1801
Does the 4.7 engine have this bolt breaking problem as well?
Don't think so. At least, not as likely as on the hemi.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a field engineer I can attest that these sort of things are normal in all industries. Sometimes they are addressed and sometimes they are not. It comes down to a numbers and safety game. And trust me its Frustrating for MOST involved on both ends of the equation.

Different mechanical devices will have different weaknesses, I used to repair machinery used by basically any manufacturers engineering depts. Sometimes I would have interesting conversations with the engineers at these places. in some cases they would go as far as to explain these weaknesses are not always unintentional and sometimes it makes sense depending on how you want to see it and what goals the party involved had... I dont believe this is the case here but Its an interesting thing to hear none the less as a person tasked with finding the best solutions to keep equipment running reliably and smoothly. I had a customer tell me once they initially made thier product so well that thier customer base began to dry up and the business started going downhill, it was then that they reengineered the product to need more maintenance to ensure repeat business... Otis elevator learned this sort of thing was important when they invented the "service contract" during the depression because new building just weren't being built during those hard times the repair and maint revenue is what kept them in business and many learned it can be more profitable than the initial equipment sale.

Personally, I had an engine mount on my old jeep break, the dealer told me the drivetrain warranty on my jeep wouldnt cover it because I had a body lift on my truck... in the same breath they told me the cast mounts broke so often that Chrysler redesigned them to be made of strong metal for this issue, I once had an 84 vette that had "morning sickness" due to dissimilar metals being used on the rack and pinion system wearing out components quickly. I had a 2nd gen ram for 10 years (which means I had the transmission failure and the plenum was fixed before I bought it) I now have a 2015 tradesman ecodiesel of all things so it appears im a gluten for punishment.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-09-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
As a field engineer I can attest that these sort of things are normal in all industries. Sometimes they are addressed and sometimes they are not. It comes down to a numbers and safety game. And trust me its Frustrating for MOST involved on both ends of the equation.

Different mechanical devices will have different weaknesses, I used to repair machinery used by basically any manufacturers engineering depts. Sometimes I would have interesting conversations with the engineers at these places. in some cases they would go as far as to explain these weaknesses are not always unintentional and sometimes it makes sense depending on how you want to see it and what goals the party involved had... I dont believe this is the case here but Its an interesting thing to hear none the less as a person tasked with finding the best solutions to keep equipment running reliably and smoothly. I had a customer tell me once they initially made thier product so well that thier customer base began to dry up and the business started going downhill, it was then that they reengineered the product to need more maintenance to ensure repeat business... Otis elevator learned this sort of thing was important when they invented the "service contract" during the depression because new building just weren't being built during those hard times the repair and maint revenue is what kept them in business and many learned it can be more profitable than the initial equipment sale.

Personally, I had an engine mount on my old jeep break, the dealer told me the drivetrain warranty on my jeep wouldnt cover it because I had a body lift on my truck... in the same breath they told me the cast mounts broke so often that Chrysler redesigned them to be made of strong metal for this issue, I once had an 84 vette that had "morning sickness" due to dissimilar metals being used on the rack and pinion system wearing out components quickly. I had a 2nd gen ram for 10 years (which means I had the transmission failure and the plenum was fixed before I bought it) I now have a 2015 tradesman ecodiesel of all things so it appears im a gluten for punishment.
I don't think it matters what you drive, they all have their little quirks and weak points. It various some between manufacturers, but, that's about it. No one makes a perfect product.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (11-10-2021)
Old 06-22-2022, 11:03 PM
Gonna RAM Ya
Default Knowledge is disappointing

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think it matters what you drive, they all have their little quirks and weak points. It various some between manufacturers, but, that's about it. No one makes a perfect product.
I learned a lot more about Dodge, FCA, and my 2016 RAM 1500 by reading these posts. Thank you to everyone who shared. I have four broken bolts needing to be replaced at 100,000 miles. It sucks to learn this has not been fully addressed by FCA. Perhaps they are waiting on legal action.

I still have some research to do to decide what is going to be the best action for the long haul. I am not one to make empty threats or waste time but it sure seems this problem warrants more than a few pages of online rants from angry owners. If I have something else more productive to contribute, I will.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?