Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Keep the R/T or trade up ...SRT8 or SUPERBEE

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 AM
pebcak2000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the R/T or trade up ...SRT8 or SUPERBEE

OK...
I am currently leasing my 2007 Dodge Charger R/T with the plans of buying it when it rolls off the lease in 2010, this was the cheapest (monthly) way for me to go at the time.....credit is getting better.

Once off the lease, I was planning on customizing the heck out of it and someday putting in a supercharger (when I am also prepared to replace the motor).

But then the 2008 SuperBee got me thinking.....I like the scoop hood, thinking about adding a spolier to the Charger, decals, 20" rims, new exhaust....etc.etc. I wonder, should trade in on an SRT8 in 2010?

Part of me says no....it wont be worth the ton of money it would cost me. Plus, I have been pampering the heck out of my Charger. Only drivenit once in December and once in NOvember to keep the evil Minnesota Road Salt off it. Been using Mobil Synthetic....changing every 3000 miles, and it is in prime condition. Have just over 6000 miles on it...got it new in July 2007.

I am thinking that the smat money is on keeping my R/T and maybe geting a custom paint job down the road along with a killer Horse Power boosting setup (tempted by the lure of the supercharger.....for about 10K installed).

Not to mention the fact.....what will even be available in 2010. What are your thought / comments.

Yeah....I am thinking I will keep my R/T Plus.....there is some special history with this car....first new car, first real muscle car, Wife (Marion) helped me get the car.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM
IXLR8
Veteran
Default RE: Keep the R/T or trade up ...SRT8 or SUPERBEE

The choice is simple one. If you want a "pretty", "flashy", "mean looking" car, then keep what you have.

I you want to build a performance monster, then it will be cheaper just buy the SRT. The sum of the parts is a MUCH better place to begin building a performance machine. But even the mighty SRT, as well as the R/T have a weak point, the tranny. The tranny is already maxxed out for the SRT, it just does not have much left. Maybe the Challenger will bring us something more forgiving. The current tranny is rated for 580 nm which is 427 ft/lbs, the SRT has 425 ft/lbs stock...

Torque-flite anyone?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:32 AM
pebcak2000
Professional

Anyone know if there will be a 2010 SRT8?? And if yes, wonder if it will look the same?

In the short term, I am interested in decent gas mileage, and like my Charger stock. As metnioned, I have plans to replace the hood, add a spoiler, add some decals, 20" chrome wheels, maybe a supercharger way off in the future, new exhaust, Superchip Prog, CAI, Then areas that I dont know a whole lot about....new headers, .....enging upgrades (more HP). But then I have to look at adding performance brakes, tranny, suspension?? Etc.

This brings up another question. If I do trade in my 2007 RT for a 2010 SRT8......then I should be driving it in the winter. But if I decide to keep it....I will be upset because I did expose it to the eveil road salt of Minnesota.

Of course, a loaded 2008 SRT8 is about $46K MSRP.....in 2010, I will purchase my RT for about $16K (nevermind how much I am spending on leaseing)

I have gone coocoo for coco puffs

Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Nicky B
Captain

Well in 2010 you could get a used 2008 SRT. I'm positive that you could find a 2008 SRT with under 10k miles for around $35,000. Alls you need to add is a 100shot of nitrous to the srt and you have about the same level of HP as R/T's do running 8lbs of boost out of a supercharger. As for the tranny the fastest SRT-8 in the world is the running the stock tranny, with modifactions of course. But the tranny is holding up for now and the car has around 600HP and is running low 11's, I think the record run was an 11.1 at almost 130mph.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

Just to set the record straight, here is my reply from 1/9/07:

'Cuz ya asked so nicely, here is your answer:
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/75AA8CA3...1E6D6E94AF.pdf

They are a Mercedes performance house, but they do list the rating for the W5A580 5-Speed automatic transmission you are using. What you want the number too? Ok its rated for 580Nm. What? You want me to convert that too... 580 x .74 = 429.2 ft/lbs Constant Load (Momentary Load Ratings are 35% Higher - 579.42 ft/lbs)

Looks like the SRT is already maxing it out....

It appears that Mercedes has a range of transmissions from W5A330 (330 Nm) to W5A1000 (1000 Nm). Pay attention, the last numeric digits are the torque rating of the transmission in Newton meters or Nm.

Lesson over.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
mmtaylor

Oh k Pebcak's wife here! The main thing I have to say to you my dear husband is I do not want to hear you Bi-ch about how you will have all this speed and no where to play with it, or you find a place to play with it and you do not have the money to go to said place. Enjoy you choice and damn it be happy with it!
Love you dear!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
pebcak2000
Professional

Nick,
That is a good point. I would like to go with another new one if possible, that way I know that it has been treated nice. But if there are no 2010 SRT8's available or if I don't like them....finding a 2008 SRT8 with under 10K miles would be the next way to go.....plus that would be about $10K less than full MSRP. Well, I guess I will be trading in my RT in about two years.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
pebcak2000
Professional

Hello spouse
Me bi-ch.....never happen
You know Brainerd International Raceway is not really that far from Saint Paul. 20 bucks and a crash helmet and I am good to go. Otherwise we live only a few blocks from Interstate 35

Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM
mmtaylor

I am not that stupid dear. You can go to Brainerd International Raceway if you want but you will behave on all interstates! We can not have th tickets. If you crash you car I do not want to hear that complaint either.... It will be your own fault.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

Someone better call Dr. Phil.... there seems to be a disagreement here...

Quick Reply: Keep the R/T or trade up ...SRT8 or SUPERBEE