Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

is hood scoop functional?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Gump
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is hood scoop functional?

Hey i was wondering if the hood scoop actually alows air in to the engine comparment or is it just for looks? If it is just for looks does anyone know what you can do to make it functional.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 PM
doof432
Veteran
Default RE: is hood scoop functional?

the scoop is very functional. It sends fresh air back to the turbo and exhaust area to flush out the hot air and keep the air under the hood as cool as possible.

It is nearly closed off right inside the black plastic cover on the front of the hood. For some reason, PVO did not leave it open as much as it appears, but it does allow air to cool down the turbo.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Gump
Record Breaker

so is there something that i could do to maximize the air flow from the scoop?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

You can try and take out the black plastic insert at the hood scoop, but I can't say the look would be good or the gains of any great value. Flush out the intercooler and radiator at every car wash and prop the hood open after you drive home, your SRT-4 will love you for it.....if you don't have a turbo-timer, let the engine idle at least 3 minutes after you've smoked all the other cars on the road!!![sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-12-2004, 12:17 AM
doof432
Veteran

like dusty said, you could take out the black p[lastic by simply removing the two nuts under the hood, then cut a little of the inner plastic away and put it back, but I have never seen a pic of this after it has been done, so it might ruin the looks of the scoopp, and it might not help THAT much. Sure it would make it a little cooler, but when you are going 70 MPH, it is already getting more air than it can use.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Gump
Record Breaker

thanks for the info dusty... i was figuring that it would look dumb with it out. and im goin to get a turbo timer and a few other goodies that i deam must haves... just dont know which ones yet on this car. Im an advicate for cooling the bow down after hard driving. but seeing how i only have 200 miles on the engine i havent done any hard driving. [:@]

Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 AM
carkid
Rookie

As I've read the scoop/intercooler placement is right on. As the air goes in it hits the intercooler right away. A car like the SRT-4 has no vanity features, one should know this from the interior. It's a raw street racein machine [:-] (or track..racing..whatever you're up to.. )

Old 05-12-2004, 02:05 AM
glhs837

When you rack up the miles, pop the hood and check the area right above the turbo, under the hood. There will be dead bugs smashed by the airflow. So the air comes back at a pretty good clip

Old 05-12-2004, 10:22 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried to remove the insert already, but the top part is not wanting to come loose. I did find out that it would indeed look stupid without it, because the bolt type parts are put through slots in the hood and with the insert removed the slots are outside of the scoop itself. I will be bying another insert and cutting the back part out to allow for maximum airflow to the turbo.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-12-2004, 02:42 PM
byebye
Veteran

I pulled mine out because I heard that you could dremel small lip off and that would help air flow. Without any real data I don't think anyone knows if that mod helps. I didn't see the benefit of doing any dremeling so I just put it back. I am guessing that the scoop is not wide open for warranty purposes. If you just put holes in the hood alot of crap would get in and the engine compartment would be hella dirty. If you look at the air channels coming from the hood scoop you will notice that it channels air to different areas also. If you were to widen the opening under the hood that might help.
Kris H.

Quick Reply: is hood scoop functional?