2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 5.9 shuts off, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
sbulla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.9 shuts off, no codes

I've owned this truck for about 5 months and, on two occasions while driving it, it has shut off on me. Once while sitting at a traffic light and a few months later while cruising at 50 mph.

It's an abrupt cut off like if I had turned off the switch, no sputter at all.

Both times this happened, within a minute, it would crank back up and run fine.

Took it to the Dodge dealership and they could find no problem. No codes or anything. They drove it with a fuel pressure tester attached and it held fine and let it idle while jiggling wires all over and couldn't make it hiccup.

It's a 2000 1500 SLE 5.9L gas auto 108500 miles.

Any ideas?

Sonny

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by sbulla
I've owned this truck for about 5 months and, on two occasions while driving it, it has shut off on me. Once while sitting at a traffic light and a few months later while cruising at 50 mph.

It's an abrupt cut off like if I had turned off the switch, no sputter at all.

Both times this happened, within a minute, it would crank back up and run fine.

Took it to the Dodge dealership and they could find no problem. No codes or anything. They drove it with a fuel pressure tester attached and it held fine and let it idle while jiggling wires all over and couldn't make it hiccup.

It's a 2000 1500 SLE 5.9L gas auto 108500 miles.

Any ideas?

Sonny
The PCMs are known to fry on those, they are in a bad location with poor ventilation and connections tend to break loose inside. Usually occurs on a hot day, there are a lot of articles online about it. But I would go that route as a last ditch effort as that is very expensive to replace, unless you go with a refurb unit. Check the Auto Shutdown Relay, swap it with the horn relay and see if you have any more issues or just replace it. They are $6 on RockAuto. Other option would be to test the throttle position sensor. Take an ohmmeter and connect it to the pins and turn the sensor with a screwdriver and watch the needle (analog ohmmeter is best) rise. If it suddenly drops at all while you twist the sensor up then it has failed and needs replacement.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
sbulla

Thanks! I'll give those things a try.

Hope the batteries in my old Simpson 260 haven't vented. ;-)

Found a refurb PCM for $300. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Sonny

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Justin3
Rookie

Run the engine, get down and dirty, start wiggling wires, especially the primary wires that are going to the coil. If the truck just dies out, its more likely an ignition issue, based on my own personal experiences. My old chevy used to just die at random, it was just a loose coil wire.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shutdowns like that are often a scroungy ASD relay.

So "within a minute, it would crank back up and run fine"... what happens in that less than a minute before it cranks back up and runs fine? Does it crank and not fire? Not crank at all? You never even tried to start it up again? Does everything electrical go down with the engine, or just the engine shuts off? Need Input!

I've not heard of a TPS causing engine shutdown. Could be it happens, but I've not heard of it. What I have heard of, though, is about half of all PCM replacements being unnecessary.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bad crank sensor will also cause this to happen.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM
sbulla

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
So "within a minute, it would crank back up and run fine"... what happens in that less than a minute before it cranks back up and runs fine? Does it crank and not fire? Not crank at all? You never even tried to start it up again? Does everything electrical go down with the engine, or just the engine shuts off? Need Input!
Sorry, I was kind of lacking on that description, wasn't I. Yes, when it shut off, I tried to start it multiple times with no luck. Crank but no fire and all electrical appeared to be fine.

The first time it happened, I tried multiple cranks and then, got out and looked under the hood, wiggling wires, re-seating relays in the power center and, by the time I got back in to try it again, it started.

The second time (it was raining), I tried just a few times to start it and then just sat there for, maybe 30 seconds and tried again when it started.

Sonny

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM
sbulla

Originally Posted by zman17
Bad crank sensor will also cause this to happen.
Wouldn't that throw a code?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Not necessarily. When it won't start, does the fuel pump still run?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
sbulla

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When it won't start, does the fuel pump still run?
I have no idea. Can you hear it from inside the cab?

Quick Reply: 2000 5.9 shuts off, no codes