1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Suggestions for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 06:33 AM
paulpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for winter

What is the best snow tire to run ? What else do you do to make your 2 wheel drive Dakota safe for the snow? I had a regular cab that I had real snow tires and added weight that was very good,now I have an extended cab that does not seem as good. Is it my imagination or is this possible? The regular cab was a 2.5 5 speed and the extended cab is a v6 5 speed. How much weight do you add? thanks

Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Depends on where you are...how much snow?

Old 10-31-2019, 01:54 PM
paulpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New England,,,,sometime in mid connecticut and sometimes in the White Mts

Old 10-31-2019, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Several hundred pounds to actually make a difference...... As for the 'best' snow tires...... There is likely a study available out there in internet land for that. I run A/T tires year round, and it sometimes gets exciting.... but, I also have four wheel drive.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have some used snows for this year, Hercules Avalanche. we'll see how they do, they seem to be decent for tread depth but again they are used. I don't use this truck all the time except for winter so I couldn't justify spending real money on snow tires. I am in process of painting my snow wheels, steelies, and I also found a pair of bargain basement almost new Kuhmo Optimo 724's M&S on same steelies to run in the front this winter. Gotta paint them all to make it look decent but they should get me through.

I ran last winter with AS and didn't have too many problems but you have to know how to drive. I think I added about 200 lbs to the back, not a huge amount but I think even that small amount helped. I'll have a little more this year I think plus I'll probably run the aluminum bed topper all winter this year too.

I really need to get moving on my lighting upgrades!! These plastic headlights are junk.

Steve

The following users liked this post:
paulpa (11-03-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 02:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

When I would run snow tires, I usually got Firestones and had them studded. Different states have different rules on studded tires. If you add weight, the best place to add it is over the rear axle. I'd run 2X4's in front and behind the wheel wells and short pieces to connect them and make a box. This would hold the weight in place. If you want to use the bed to haul stuff, move the weight to the front. Never put it in the rear. This will add traction for going but will take weight off the steering and put you in a ditch.

The following 2 users liked this post by ol' grouch:
paulpa (11-03-2019), tndakman (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I really need to get moving on my lighting upgrades!! These plastic headlights are junk.

Steve
Step 0 : Clean the front until they're clear (not remove the flutes inside, but make sure the plastic is crystal clear save for the flutes!)

Step 1 : Add a relay harness to allow full power to get to the bulbs. One reviewer measured 2,000 lumens with factory on his car, and 2,7?? (something like 64 for the last two, but not sure exactly!) lumens with the relay harness. The 1992 uses 9004 bulbs, so you either need a 9004 harness, or a 9007 harness you repin all the connectors in. Something like this harness
Amazon Amazon
shows (shift all three positions, both on the plug(s) and the socket(s).)

Step 2 : Upgrade to Night Hawk or Night Breaker bulbs.

Those are your best low price upgrades, in order of improvement. Step 2 won't do jack without Step 0, and Step 1 makes Step 2 MUCH nicer than before you do Step 0.

RwP

Old 11-02-2019, 09:50 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Step 0 : Clean the front until they're clear (not remove the flutes inside, but make sure the plastic is crystal clear save for the flutes!)

Step 1 : Add a relay harness to allow full power to get to the bulbs. One reviewer measured 2,000 lumens with factory on his car, and 2,7?? (something like 64 for the last two, but not sure exactly!) lumens with the relay harness. The 1992 uses 9004 bulbs, so you either need a 9004 harness, or a 9007 harness you repin all the connectors in. Something like this harness https://www.amazon.com/Putco-239007H...and-9007-bulbs shows (shift all three positions, both on the plug(s) and the socket(s).)

Step 2 : Upgrade to Night Hawk or Night Breaker bulbs.

Those are your best low price upgrades, in order of improvement. Step 2 won't do jack without Step 0, and Step 1 makes Step 2 MUCH nicer than before you do Step 0.

RwP
I've sanded my headlights with 1500 grit and then polished them until crystal clear, but they just aren't as good as ecode lights.

I have two pair H4 4x6 ecodes, one set is Hella the other is Autopal. I just need to get off my *** and build the harness. I built the harness for my Passat wagon, this one for Dakota will be less difficult because I won't have to include wiring for city lights or headlight level control either.

It's a case of just spending time doing it.

Steve

Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Do the Hella.

My Autopals lasted about two years before they flaked off; my Hellas are in their third year going strong.

With those, use the guides from https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs for picking the bulb. Be aware that good bright bulbs don't last before they get dim; long life bulbs aren't very bright.

And that bulb life isn't "until they blow", but "until they're at 75% output" or so.

RwP

Quick Reply: Suggestions for winter