2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 07:38 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks great, I'm trying to work of the courage to do the rockers and cab corners on my 96, Not sure what I'm worried about they cant get much worse lol, they aren't there already, same with the box, they're so far gone I don't think wheel arches can save me anymore, just need to do bedsides, but at 500 bucks per side. I've been holding out to find a nice box that isnt priced like its made of gold, its still a farm truck lol

Old 07-18-2022, 12:13 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I helped my friend do a shackle flip, add-a-leaf, and u-bolt flip on my truck, I owe him a huge favor now. Deleted the factory lift block. One of my big complaints about this skyjacker kit (that the previous owner installed) is the axel wrap causing axel hop. Also the "soft ride" springs were way to soft for towing and created a terrible porpoise motion. Thats gone, my bump steer is 90% gone, and it drives straight without pulling to the right now. I have only put like 6-7k on the truck and had it aligned 3 times by various shops and none of them caught the rear was out of alignment. The kit I used also replaced the front spring mount as well. I do not recommend doing this unless you are motivated. They are hot riveted AND welded on. You have to drop your fuel tank to do the drivers side front one. Also the frame is doubled up there from where the back half is joined to the front half so the rivets are really imbedded in there. All in all about 12 hrs it took. Part of that was the ubolt kit that I got had the wrong plates in it so I had make some.

Before the empty trailer used to engage the overload, now there is a small gap with just the trailer on. How it is sitting with the skid-steer on the trailer is how it would sit with the trailer empty before.

I put the shims back in and the pinion is only up 3/8". However I looked at my 01 parts truck and the angle is much more level. I am going to pull the wedges out, I do not like this angle and I do have a slight vibration above 70mph.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Keep in mind, the bump stops were also integrated into the blocks on the rear axle. I might be tempted to weld some pads to the axle tube, at the same height the stops used to be..... Of course, with the lift and such, it's entirely possible you will never compress your rear suspension that far.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, went to work today, and truck was reluctant to start, but, did start up, and run fine. After work, different story, cranks, no start. Had it towed to the repair shop. Fuel pump was just replaced a month or two ago.... So, hoping this is a warranty repair.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
I helped my friend do a shackle flip, add-a-leaf, and u-bolt flip on my truck, I owe him a huge favor now. Deleted the factory lift block. One of my big complaints about this skyjacker kit (that the previous owner installed) is the axel wrap causing axel hop. Also the "soft ride" springs were way to soft for towing and created a terrible porpoise motion. Thats gone, my bump steer is 90% gone, and it drives straight without pulling to the right now. I have only put like 6-7k on the truck and had it aligned 3 times by various shops and none of them caught the rear was out of alignment. The kit I used also replaced the front spring mount as well. I do not recommend doing this unless you are motivated. They are hot riveted AND welded on. You have to drop your fuel tank to do the drivers side front one. Also the frame is doubled up there from where the back half is joined to the front half so the rivets are really imbedded in there. All in all about 12 hrs it took. Part of that was the ubolt kit that I got had the wrong plates in it so I had make some.

Before the empty trailer used to engage the overload, now there is a small gap with just the trailer on. How it is sitting with the skid-steer on the trailer is how it would sit with the trailer empty before.

I put the shims back in and the pinion is only up 3/8". However I looked at my 01 parts truck and the angle is much more level. I am going to pull the wedges out, I do not like this angle and I do have a slight vibration above 70mph.

What kits did you use?

Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And again, my truck left me stranded. Last time, two weeks or so ago, I had it towed, but, when the guys at the shop went to check it in the morning, it started right up, and ran fine. Today, it ran great till I got into town, and started running rough.... went to my second stop, shut the truck off, did my business, went to leave..... cranks, no start. Called the shop, told 'em what was up, and as I was less than three miles away, could then send someone over with a fuel pressure gauge. Nope. Can't do that. Need to have it towed in..... So, not looking for a repeat of the last time, walked to the parts store, that was in the same parking lot, bought a gauge, (as they didn't have one to rent) check fuel pressure.... nothing. Maybe 5 PSI. Of course, the tow truck took a while to get there, and the shop was closed by the time I got there..... Have to call 'em in the morning, and have a chat. Hopefully, it won't start, if it does, I am going to try and talk them into changing the pump anyway.... Wish me luck.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:04 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And again, my truck left me stranded. Last time, two weeks or so ago, I had it towed, but, when the guys at the shop went to check it in the morning, it started right up, and ran fine. Today, it ran great till I got into town, and started running rough.... went to my second stop, shut the truck off, did my business, went to leave..... cranks, no start. Called the shop, told 'em what was up, and as I was less than three miles away, could then send someone over with a fuel pressure gauge. Nope. Can't do that. Need to have it towed in..... So, not looking for a repeat of the last time, walked to the parts store, that was in the same parking lot, bought a gauge, (as they didn't have one to rent) check fuel pressure.... nothing. Maybe 5 PSI. Of course, the tow truck took a while to get there, and the shop was closed by the time I got there..... Have to call 'em in the morning, and have a chat. Hopefully, it won't start, if it does, I am going to try and talk them into changing the pump anyway.... Wish me luck.
Good luck.........

Old 07-27-2022, 10:14 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
What kits did you use?
Apoc industries leaf brackets - brackets were fine, half the bolts and nuts didn't work. Lock nuts were oval shaped and the front hanger bolts were too short. Also no directions that indicate how big of a pain the fronts are. The factory fronts are riveted and welded, plus tank needs to come down.
Supreme Suspensions 2wd ubolt flip - u-bolts were fine but I did not know when I ordered the 2wd 2500's had 2.5" wide springs and the 4wd 3". I made my own plates out of some spare plate quickly since I had to have the truck out of the shop by Monday morning.
Skyjacker heavy duty add a leaf - Works good, installed nice. The AAL was meant for the skyjacker pack in the truck.

Still amazed after 3 alignments it now drives straight, none of them had checked the rear alignment.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This is becoming all too familiar.... Truck is at the shop, they called, said it was done. They replaced the fuel pump, again. So, went to get it, jumped in, turned the key, and...... nope. Put the pressure gauge on it, nope. So, NOT the fuel pump. Swapped relays, nope. Starting to look like a bad PCM.....

Old 07-31-2022, 10:16 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This is becoming all too familiar.... Truck is at the shop, they called, said it was done. They replaced the fuel pump, again. So, went to get it, jumped in, turned the key, and...... nope. Put the pressure gauge on it, nope. So, NOT the fuel pump. Swapped relays, nope. Starting to look like a bad PCM.....
I hope you get that sorted out quickly and hopefully something easier than the PCM.

The clear coat started peeling on my rear fender flares so I had them repainted along with my new taillights and 3rd brake/cargo light.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jimythefan:
Adobedude (08-07-2022), frankie_b_jr (08-07-2022), Spillage (07-31-2022)

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?