2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went to the jy with zman today.... got a new knee panel for my truck. him and i successfully pulled out a mint 98-2001 dash from a single cab.....

there was even a tan interior ram there with a mint dash.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, friday and saturday mornings, my truck was barely starting. And the voltage was low right when it started. After a minute or so running, the voltage was reading at 14 like it should, but the next time I'd try to start it, it'd be slow turning over, so I assumed the battery wasn't taking the charge from the alternator. Cheapest battery I could find around town, on short notice was $95 at autozone, so the ol' ram got a new battery, and she fires up just fine now. Between the 2-3 weeks of straight 100+ temps, and the offroad lights being wired straight to the battery, I really dont know what killed it. The battery was 6 years old tho, and when I checked under the caps, 2 of the cells were bone dry, and the rest were low. Adding distilled water didn't help. It just wouldn't hold a charge. My mechanic buddy says even with the offroad lights being wired straight to the battery, if the lights aren't on, they wont drain the battery. Does this sound right to y'all?? I don't want to kill another battery, even though it does have a 2 year warranty.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no issue running off road lights straight to the battery, since it is a simple switch. Not an all in one like our headlight switches.
I've got 2 100w offroad lights run to the battery through a relay and I've had no problems.
I think it was the fact it was 6 years old and the ambient temps were too high for it.

My mom's car had the battery replaced about a year ago for the same reason, it was summer, and it was the original battery.

Poured a can of SeaFoam in old Lemon Drop....not much gas in that big tank, but I put the SF in it to start it off, gonna put gas in it tomorrow maybe.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Goatley
Professional

replaced door and now got to figure out how to mount my cb up there where the old console screwed in since I took it down also took the headliner out.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and the fiance left Knoxville TN at 3pm local time on Wednesday, and on Friday we rolled into Covington WA (over 2600 miles) at 8pm. So that was a good little drive. The truck did great, had to replace the Throttle Position sensor in Billing MT, but I was thrilled with the reliability. Got about 14-15 mpg, but with 1600+ lbs of stuff, 35's and 3.55's I guess that's about right. I need to give the thing a little love though, she earned it

Old 08-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Oh, and this is for Dlyter

I took the battery out if my ram, put it in the Power Wagon, sprayed starter fluid down the carb, and it started 2nd crank. And idled. And I drove it down the street. It's been sitting since Christmas. What a great engine.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your 72 looks like it is going to run your 95 over. lol

both your 72's look like they are in pretty good shape.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
your 72 looks like it is going to run your 95 over. lol

both your 72's look like they are in pretty good shape.
Thanks! The pictures make them look much nicer than they really are... They both have quite a bit of rust. I am thinking of selling the Power Wagon actually... I can't decide. It's really pretty big for the trails around here.

I want to restore the d100 and do some cool custom stuff under it though.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

they look like they are in way better shape than anything i could find here for under $3000. i think i would have to spend about $4000-$5000 to buy something that clean looking.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Oh, and this is for Dlyter

I took the battery out if my ram, put it in the Power Wagon, sprayed starter fluid down the carb, and it started 2nd crank. And idled. And I drove it down the street. It's been sitting since Christmas. What a great engine.
Me likey lol

Glad ya made it home safe with no problems. If ya sell the power wagon let me know lol.. id find a way to make that trip to get it hahaha

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?