2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So that they can LOL.

Originally Posted by MatthewEdwards
WHY CAN'T ENGINEERS PUT A STINKIN' DRAiN PLUG ON A TRANSMISSION PAN?!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
So that they can LOL.
Yep, and the new vehicles don't even have dip sticks.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They now have an almost dry sump style pan and recirculation system. They don't need them. The reason the older trucks didn't have them is that their trucks work. They go where cars don't. The whole bottom of my trans pan is scraped and scratched pretty bad. A drain plug is an invitation for disaster for those who use their trucks offroad. It's easier for folks who don't use their trucks offroad to put one in, than the risk of ripping a drain plug out is worth. It's actually pretty smart by Dodge. Now Chevy's, being glorified minivan commutermobiles, it makes sense to have them.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MatthewEdwards
This will be the first trans service the truck has had as far as i know.
Shifts fine.
Just crackin 85,000 miles so i decided it is about time.

So today I will make a new oil stain in the driveway where my 2000 Dakota 4.7 is parked.

WHY CAN'T ENGINEERS PUT A STINKIN' DRAiN PLUG ON A TRANSMISSION PAN?!

That's what i was thinking as I folded up the carboard that caught all the ATF+4 that missed my drain pan yesterday (not a drop on the garage floor). If I drop that pan again I am putting in a drain plug...

Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by renardk764
Yep, and the new vehicles don't even have dip sticks.
The dipsticks work in the engineering department.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam
That's what i was thinking as I folded up the carboard that caught all the ATF+4 that missed my drain pan yesterday (not a drop on the garage floor). If I drop that pan again I am putting in a drain plug...
Guess I should finally take zmans advice and install a drain plug when I do my rear band adjustment......

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

Originally Posted by mantisman51
The reason the older trucks didn't have them is that their trucks work. They go where cars don't. The whole bottom of my trans pan is scraped and scratched pretty bad. A drain plug is an invitation for disaster for those who use their trucks offroad.
Huh that's a great point, I never thought of that. Explains why Cherokees I've owned have come from the factory with that recessed drain plug, kinda like a dimple that concaves up into the pan that the plug screws up in. It means that after you drain the fluid there's still a good half a quart in the bottom of the pan since the plug isnthe lowest point of the pan.....but at least you don't have as BIG a mess to deal with, and the plug isn't hanging down to get sheared off on a rock scrape encounter.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
MatthewEdwards
Default Trans service done.

I got it done.
Used a plastic garbage can lid with a hole drilled through the middle to catch the ATF and direct it into my drain pan.

Not much residue in the pan. The magnet had just a light coating of metal.

I am thinking this truck had the trans serviced before I got it (at 40,000 miles).
Wouldn't think a 12 year old transmission with 85,000 miles would look so clean inside.

Was able to swap out the spin on trans filter using a large pair of channel lock plies.
The seal for the pan filter was pressed in by tapping it in with a deep well socket.

I was quoted $300 for this trans service done by a shop.
It cost me 80 bucksfor parts and 4 hours.
I did this in my driveway without jackstands (My Dakota is a 2WD and stinkbug low to the ground too).
Most of the time was spent letting it drain, cleaning up and bottling up the old oil for recycle.

Of all the vehicles I have done auto tranny filters on, this Dakota was about the easiest.

My best advice for anyone else is to have lots of paper towels on hand.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

Put new bushings in passenger side leaf spring eyes, put spring back together with add a leaf, put leaf spring back in place on the truck along with new shackle. Put new rear shocks on. Took driver's side leaf spring off, popped old leaf spring bushings and sleeves out, took leaf pack apart.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Got new Gabriel shocks put on and had the 265/70/16 Lincoln Town Car tires installed. They have a weight rating of 2875# per tire, so they're fine for towing and hauling like I do. They are only 6 ply, but I can live with it. The ride with highway tires instead of the Brigestone Duellers is night and day. This thing is like a Caddy it's so smooth. I'm done with my rear suspension mods and this is the breakdown: 1000# Leaf helper, 2000#(per side) Firestone Ride Rite airbags and new shocks. Now I am ready to tow or haul anything.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?