2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

guy tells me my truck has no Distributor Cap and Rotor why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question guy tells me my truck has no Distributor Cap and Rotor why?

ok this guy keeps telling me my 2000 dodge ram sport 5.9 has no distributor cap and rotor for some reason but i know the truck does.I really cant figure out what hes talking about he said something like the truck has dns so it doesnt have a distributor cap and rotor.can anyone tell me what hes talking about?my truck does have adistributor cap and rotor whats this guy thinking?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He's mistaking it for a newer truck.... the new ones use multiple coil packs and no distributor

Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad, the guy at the local muffler shop said there isn't enough room to run 2.5" pipe at the manifold. Guess what size pipe connects to the flange? Yup, you guessed it, 2.5".

I hope it was just mistaking my '01 for something else.... Although he did ask what year it was.....

Old 12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
ok this guy keeps telling me my 2000 dodge ram sport 5.9 has no distributor cap and rotor for some reason but i know the truck does.I really cant figure out what hes talking about he said something like the truck has dns so it doesnt have a distributor cap and rotor.can anyone tell me what hes talking about?my truck does have adistributor cap and rotor whats this guy thinking?

Problem is he is not thinking, I made the mistake on here previously of calling some mechanic an idiot/moron and got crap for it. So I won't do that again. I'll go with what Augiedoggy said.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might just show him, from a distance, that your engine has those things. Don't let him get too close to it, and if he picks up a wrench slam the hood even if it's going to crush his head to do it. Don't worry, it won't hurt him any. He's not using it.

He's one of those who knows stuff he hasn't bothered to learn. That sort is dangerous.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the 3rd Gen engines ain't got them, thing of the past. Hell, I'm old enough to remember having to do points. How many of y'all still got a timing light in your tool box? I do - ain't touched it in about ten years, but it's in there, LOL...

Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, the 3rd Gen engines ain't got them, thing of the past. Hell, I'm old enough to remember having to do points. How many of y'all still got a timing light in your tool box? I do - ain't touched it in about ten years, but it's in there, LOL...
I got one! Used it all the time on my old Chevy S10 Blazer. Just about all the work to the Ram so far has been suspension.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
Problem is he is not thinking, I made the mistake on here previously of calling some mechanic an idiot/moron and got crap for it. So I won't do that again. I'll go with what Augiedoggy said.

The great Z backing down? No way!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I DO I DO!!!

I have a dwell meter as well. I would be surprised if a majority of members here even knew what that was.

V-10 doesn't have cap/rotor. And, its DIS. Distributorless Ignition system.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is an idiot....just saying....

Quick Reply: guy tells me my truck has no Distributor Cap and Rotor why?