2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:07 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Hey,

That was a full-on double rainbow, all the way. Worth the 3 1/2 minutes.
It was ALMOST a triple rainbow!!! It made me want to cry!!! JK

Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I got a best of about 18 mpg on my 2500 with mostly highway driving. (not freeway though, so, speeds around 60 or so.)

Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So should i not buy the plenum fix then? I need to replace my gasket but if the fix doesn't work then i guess its either airgap or the gasket and i cant afford the airgap

Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was a full-on double rainbow, all the way. Worth the 3 1/2 minutes.
You can see doubles and triples pretty regularly on the Western Slope of the Colorado Rockies, and occasionally in the Yosemite Valley, without listening to some stoned fool crying like he was just crowned Miss America.

I wonder if I can beat my 3-1/2 minutes out of that guy. Vicariously, anyway -- I know folks out that way...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
So should i not buy the plenum fix then? I need to replace my gasket but if the fix doesn't work then i guess its either airgap or the gasket and i cant afford the airgap
Plenum fix does indeed work. Just take your time when assembling it. A LOT cheaper than a new manifold.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Plenum fix does indeed work. Just take your time when assembling it. A LOT cheaper than a new manifold.
And put a friggin filter on your PCV valves hose so it won't make you wonder if the new gasket failed after a couple months. I still need to get one for mine. The PCV inlet on the manifold was saturated with oil when I took the manifold off the second time.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You can see doubles and triples pretty regularly on the Western Slope of the Colorado Rockies, and occasionally in the Yosemite Valley, without listening to some stoned fool crying like he was just crowned Miss America.

I wonder if I can beat my 3-1/2 minutes out of that guy. Vicariously, anyway -- I know folks out that way...
Perhaps a song will make you feel better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4...layer_embedded

Old 08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
And put a friggin filter on your PCV valves hose so it won't make you wonder if the new gasket failed after a couple months. I still need to get one for mine. The PCV inlet on the manifold was saturated with oil when I took the manifold off the second time.
What style filter would you recommend? clamp on like with fipk delete, or is there an inline that would still pull vac and keep keg clean. I pulled my plenum this weekend only to find the same thing you did. Believe it or not, at 120k, my plenum was still really good. Looks like those two upper bolts just started to leak. I didn't have ping, but I was using a quart over an oil change which prompted me to change the gasket.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking at that pic leads me to believe you were indeed leaking.

There is oil between almost every one of the screw mounts on the sides of the intake manifold itself, some on the gasket that's still on the pan, and missing gasket in the back of the pan by where the distributor is.

Looks as if your bolts bottomed out on the original pan.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at that pic leads me to believe you were indeed leaking.

There is oil between almost every one of the screw mounts on the sides of the intake manifold itself, some on the gasket that's still on the pan, and missing gasket in the back of the pan by where the distributor is.

Looks as if your bolts bottomed out on the original pan.
Wasn't quite sure. Whats wierd is where those oil stains are on the manifold... is where the gray marks are on the gasket. and it is like some sort of RTV. Didn't know that came like that stock...

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...