2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Won't make a difference.

You need to properly inspect all steering parts, and the track bar, and have your alignment checked, along with proper tire pressures, etc.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmen
Thank you, David Alan,

I've just finished ordering this kit and you should see my order from Maine soon.
I hope this works.
I don't actually have a "clunk" nor play when I turn my sterring wheel but the truck is all over the road at almost all speeds. I've disconnected my tie rods and slowly turned the wheel lock to lock several time to locate any play. There is absolutely none. Furhtermore, I've carefully checked both tie rod ends before re-attachin them. Those too, were tight with no play. I wiggled the tires and rotated the rotors to see if I could observe any binding - none.

I purchased this truck with a newly replaced box and everything feels tight. This truck just does not want to steer straight. The sterring also does not want to "return" and instead wants to take off steering even harder in the direction I've turned the wheel the symptom is in both directions evenly.

Well, anyway, let's see what happnes when I install your kit in a few weeks.

Ralph M Bohm
Bucksport, Maine

Thats the steering box itself and the bushing is not going to fix that. I'm guessing the box was replaced with a rebuilt from a local parts store.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna agree with the others. I think the bushing wont satisfy your needs. Its good preventative maintenance, and it wouldn't hurt to still install the bushing. But even with good, tight steering components, these trucks just like to wander. Lots of guys are having good luck and swearing by the Red Head steering box and the Borgeson box. There's also a member here who swapped his steering to like 2002 rack and pinion steering and its much more efficient, and according to him more cost effective. Just a little ingenuity is all, and some fabrication skills.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmen
Thank you, David Alan,

I've just finished ordering this kit and you should see my order from Maine soon.
I hope this works.
I don't actually have a "clunk" nor play when I turn my sterring wheel but the truck is all over the road at almost all speeds. I've disconnected my tie rods and slowly turned the wheel lock to lock several time to locate any play. There is absolutely none. Furhtermore, I've carefully checked both tie rod ends before re-attachin them. Those too, were tight with no play. I wiggled the tires and rotated the rotors to see if I could observe any binding - none.

I purchased this truck with a newly replaced box and everything feels tight. This truck just does not want to steer straight. The sterring also does not want to "return" and instead wants to take off steering even harder in the direction I've turned the wheel the symptom is in both directions evenly.

Well, anyway, let's see what happnes when I install your kit in a few weeks.

Ralph M Bohm
Bucksport, Maine
Besides tires (pressure/wear) & alignment, also binding or worn steering column couplers or a worn/loose steering gear..post your findings

Old 09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...inion+steering

Link for the conversion. Looks interesting and might try it myself.

KenR

Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
But even with good, tight steering components, these trucks just like to wander.
Mine doesn't wander at all except for a very slight bit of camber steering that's to be expected of a solid front axle 4WD. If the wind isn't blowing, my usual out on the highway is to just plop my left wrist atop the steering wheel, and occasionally make a slight adjustment for changes in road camber.

The Saginaw steering boxes like we've got are known for getting loose when the sector shaft (the doodad the pitman arm is stuck onto) gets sloppy due to worn bearings -- you cannot adjust for worn bearings and have to repair the steering box, preferably before the sector shaft motion causes excessive wear on it and the rack block which then require replacement (or remanufacturing) of the box. On my todo list is adding in one of these cool steering stabilizers. I like that idea better than upgrading the steering box because it's easier to find stock parts if something breaks during a long road trip and it's long road trips that put most of my truck's miles behind it.

Post Script: None of this is to suggest that the Rock Solid isn't necessary. The way I figure it, everyone should put that in just because it doesn't suck like the factory pieces do. My point here is that there's no reason to accept a wandering truck just because lots of guys report that their trucks wander.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 09-16-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM
RamSteeringFix Guy

Ralph:

Ok, saw ur order, thx.

I agree u likely have s. box issues. Tried the factory box adj procedure yet ? Careful, don't overtighten!

Also, ur a 4x4, right?

If so, I bet ur track bar is loose / worn out. Ur comment re trucks keeps steering in a given vector after finishing the turn suggests that to me.

Ck ball joint on end in DS wheel well area. If loose, consider a cost effective & simple rebuild w/ Lukes Link. Makes it greasesble & adjustable in future.

Love to hear what u find. Guys here are giving ya good advice / feedback - u just hafta weigh the options !

Best Regards, David A.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RamSteeringFix Guy
Ralph:

Ok, saw ur order, thx.

I agree u likely have s. box issues. Tried the factory box adj procedure yet ? Careful, don't overtighten!

Also, ur a 4x4, right?

If so, I bet ur track bar is loose / worn out. Ur comment re trucks keeps steering in a given vector after finishing the turn suggests that to me.

Ck ball joint on end in DS wheel well area. If loose, consider a cost effective & simple rebuild w/ Lukes Link. Makes it greasesble & adjustable in future.

Love to hear what u find. Guys here are giving ya good advice / feedback - u just hafta weigh the options !

Best Regards, David A.
Thanks for posting Dave.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

I am going to ear mark this page so I can come back later. Lots of good information. Thank you guys for posting. Thank you Rock Solid for making a product that helps the Ram owners as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this kit sitting in my garage, never installed. Since I no longer have my '99, anyone interested in it?

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience