2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park the truck with the front end slightly uphill. Remove the radiator cap and start the engine allowing it to come up to temp and the thermostat to open. You'll know the stat has opened when you see the coolant starting to flow to the radiator. Keep adding coolant as necessary as the air bubbles out of the radiator. Keep adding coolant until you see no more air bubbles coming out. Depending on how much air is in the system this may take a little while so don't get in a hurry.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
4angrybadgers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did all that to begin with, and it hit 230 degrees after 10-15 minutes of burping the cooling system. When I changed the coolant 4-ish months ago and burped it the same way, it never got that hot.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers
Did my plenum repair last week (along with the water pump, timing set, t-stat, and distributor). I bought the plate off eBay and used the plate bolts that came with it; bought a Fel-Pro gasket set, and went to the dealer for new plenum bolts. Runs fine, now I just have to get rid of a finicky air pocket that's making it overheat...

If you happen to take pictures of your OEM plenum gasket, would you mind posting on the following thread?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Park the truck with the front end slightly uphill. Remove the radiator cap and start the engine allowing it to come up to temp and the thermostat to open. You'll know the stat has opened when you see the coolant starting to flow to the radiator. Keep adding coolant as necessary as the air bubbles out of the radiator. Keep adding coolant until you see no more air bubbles coming out. Depending on how much air is in the system this may take a little while so don't get in a hurry.
Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers
I did all that to begin with, and it hit 230 degrees after 10-15 minutes of burping the cooling system. When I changed the coolant 4-ish months ago and burped it the same way, it never got that hot.
Think your tsat is not opening?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
4angrybadgers

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
If you happen to take pictures of your OEM plenum gasket, would you mind posting on the following thread?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html
Yep, posted a description, but I'll dig my old plate and gasket out and take a picture today.

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Think your tsat is not opening?
If I can't burp it again, then yeah, I might have to change the t-stat again.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
dacheedah

I have a question, instead of the plenum repair with the 1/4" plate , why not put a new plenum on it with a solid bottom. I am asking because I saw some on e-bay and not much more money. No gasket to go bad equals permanent fix. Please give pro's and con's. Thanx

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
moss500berg
Professional

^Good point, except that to buy another intake manifold, none of the parts will fit on the new manifold as they did the old one, unless its the exact same design with a solid belly pan, the money to make everything work with the new manifold would be alot more than just the manifold cost, so it would probably be better just fixing the OE manifold

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

After I did my plenum repair, the initial burp was a nail biter, as the temp got pretty frigging warm.... there is an air pocket trapped below the thermostat, so the stat doesn't 'see' the temp as high as it really is, I idled up the engine a bit to stuff the coolant up there better, and it opened up. Took doing that a couple times before temps stabilized. I think I still have some air in there yet.....

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
4angrybadgers

Originally Posted by HeyYou
After I did my plenum repair, the initial burp was a nail biter, as the temp got pretty frigging warm.... there is an air pocket trapped below the thermostat, so the stat doesn't 'see' the temp as high as it really is, I idled up the engine a bit to stuff the coolant up there better, and it opened up. Took doing that a couple times before temps stabilized. I think I still have some air in there yet.....
That's a good point. I'll try burping it again tonight, maybe take it for a slow ride around the block to push that sucker out. Any idea how hot the engine can get before one should be worried about damage? My old Civic Si popped a CEL when it hit 230 or so (hit a 'coon and cracked my radiator, that was a fun night).

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Trouble is, you don't really know how hot things are getting.... Keep the gauge out of the red, and you should be ok...... and don't stay too high to long. I would be more inclined to just do the throttle by hand, so you can add coolant as necessary......

One of These makes the job MUCH easier.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
4angrybadgers

I have a Brockway R920 plugged in to the OBD-2 port, so I can see the exact temperature readings. I'll just keep trying to burp it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread