2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changed header gasket now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Here are some pictures. In addition, on the cap #1 is marked.

Yellow box denotes the TDC 1 mark.

Timing Cover -- Use the h/b cut mark to point. You'll see graduation marks.
so number 1 TDC is in the middle if the yellow box, sorry the resolution isnt all that great on my computer screen

Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. There is an indentation/mark on the housing edge there. In addition, in letters it says: CYL

Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

mk thanks, if the motor did jump time a couple of teeth, how far off do you think i should see the distributor rotor from that mark?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If everything is up to snuff, it should be pretty damn close. The 'pin' for number one cylinder ideally would be in the center of the rotor end..... if it's off by a few degrees, no big deal, if the end of the rotor isn't at least close to where the pin in the cap is, you have a problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

I haven't a clue. At this stage, just see what lines up. DO NOT unbolt the distributor clamp. You do not want to move the (twist) the housing. If you do, get a paint stick and mark at least 3 spots from housing to the block or something. But you won't be able to now that I think about it b/c of the Keg in the way.

Just check the TDC marks. The h/B actually has 2 marks on it. Before I go any farther (as well as anyone else), are you decided you will change Tchain or wait?

The only absolute way is to verify 3 things at the same time, Rotor at TD1, H/B mark at TDC1, and Cyl 1 Intake Valve on compression stroke. Must have #1 plug out. The Haynes manual describes this very well.

I don't mean to go too far here, I'm always into small steps.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If everything is up to snuff, it should be pretty damn close. The 'pin' for number one cylinder ideally would be in the center of the rotor end..... if it's off by a few degrees, no big deal, if the end of the rotor isn't at least close to where the pin in the cap is, you have a problem.
I agree with this. Biggest factor is your head/eye angle on the rotor tip to the mark. This reminds me of an important tool.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I agree with this. Biggest factor is your head/eye angle on the rotor tip to the mark. This reminds me of an important tool.

Booger pickers?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I haven't a clue. At this stage, just see what lines up. DO NOT unbolt the distributor clamp. You do not want to move the (twist) the housing. If you do, get a paint stick and mark at least 3 spots from housing to the block or something. But you won't be able to now that I think about it b/c of the Keg in the way.

Just check the TDC marks. The h/B actually has 2 marks on it. Before I go any farther (as well as anyone else), are you decided you will change Tchain or wait?

The only absolute way is to verify 3 things at the same time, Rotor at TD1, H/B mark at TDC1, and Cyl 1 Intake Valve on compression stroke. Must have #1 plug out. The Haynes manual describes this very well.

I don't mean to go too far here, I'm always into small steps.

im going to change the chain IF valve timing is the issue. i dont have a haynes manual, so would that be in the service manual?could i stick a screwdriver or somethin in the plug hole to verify compression stroke?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

scribes?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
mstephen89
Captain

good way to check TDC is take out the plugs rotate the engine the same direction as it does when you hit the starter. Hold your finger over the hole for the spark plug #1 and when you feel the piston pressure blowing your finger off you know its coming up on the compression stroke. then stick a screwdriver in the hole and try to get the piston all the way at the top, verify the mark on the H/B, i don't know if you can see it for the water pump and things on the front of the motor. Then take the cap off and see if it lines up like everyone else said. I sure hope it does.

I hope these motors are not interference motor. I have personally seen what happens when an interference engine jumps time. It is not pretty or cheap to fix.

Quick Reply: changed header gasket now no start