2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats wrong with my truck???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Silverdodge2001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my truck???

Alright, so my luck has gone to crap in the last few weeks and I'm now broke so I don't have much money to just throw parts at my truck and i need it to run. Clothes washer broke had to buy a new one, had a pipe burst in my bath room that had been leaking behind the wall for awhile so I'm doing a bathroom remodel.. Don't mean to tell you my sob story but just giving you a bit of background on my situation with money :P.

Anyways, now that I'm remodeling my bathroom I really need my truck to run, and of course now is the time something has gone wrong with it.

When the truck warms up and i come to a stop it will die out. I can immediately start it back up after it dies. If I keep my foot on the gas and brake while stopping it will be fine... for awhile.. After about 5 minutes of doing this it starts acting like the timing is thrown off real bad while applying the brake and the gas.

It doesn't throw any codes at first, but after 5 minutes or so after it starts acting like the timing is off and it throws a p1391. Intermittent loss of cmp/ckp sensor.

Last week when it broke down I took it to a small mom and pop shop and the guy replaced the cmp and checked the plugs/wires. He had no clue other than thinking maybe it was the catalytic converter. I had just gotten my exhaust replaced 500 miles ago from the cat back. When I got it replaced the exhaust guy told me the cat was fine and didn't need replaced. But now when i get under and tap on the cat with a hammer it rattles a bit.

My thought is the crank sensor but I'm no expert by any means. I would just go buy the sensor and replace it but I don't want to throw the money away when I don't have it if its not the problem.

Sorry for the long post, but I really need my truck running. Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

One last thing... plenum fix has been done and front o2 sensor has been replaced.

2001 dodge ram off-road sport, 5.9L, spectre cai, iac replaced, throttle body cleaned out

Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would remove the precat 02 sensor from the pipe and drive it...If its way better replace or clean the cat out (you can run a gallon of laquer thinner with like ten gallons of gas at 3,000 rpm for 20-30 minutes and it should clean it out to where it will flow enough to work again...) seafoam can help too..

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Silverdodge2001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so when i remove the pre-cat o2 do I unplug it also or wire tie it up when I drive it? By doing this Im assuming its releaving some of the back pressure which should cause it not to die out after warming up?

Thanks for the response by the way. I'll try this when I get home from work and drop an update.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Either way will work. The O2 isn't going to be telling the computer anything useful in any event. (and will prolly set a code.)

Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also look at something that may be free. Pull IAC and see if it is clean or dirty....clean sensor and port if necessary.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently fouled a new 02 sensor with soot from running too rich with different injectors so I sprayed the **** out of it with carb cleaner and it works fine now... maybe I got luck , maybe its something to try when an 02 sensor starts to fail...

Not that I think thats your issue at all...

Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's the cat that is rattling and not just the heat shield, then the cat is clogged, period.

And here is a link for cleaning the IAC properly. Either way, disconnect the negative battery cable before unplugging,replacing,removing or cleaning any electrical parts.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972

Duh, I forgot to post the link. Thanks bud. After all , all I do is troll for posts that are in the wrong section. LOL

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Duh, I forgot to post the link. Thanks bud. After all , all I do is troll for posts that are in the wrong section. LOL

Haha no worries. I used that thread last Monday to clean my IAC.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my truck???