3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.6 injectors on 3.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6 injectors on 3.7

I read that someone put 3v 4.6 injectors onto the Dakota and got good power gains, enough to actually do a burn out from a stop which our trucks can't do with the 3.7. What injectors can we all use? How about 2v injectors? Those are cheaper and I have a crown vic that i can take them off, but not sure if anybody has done it with other ones.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i've done multiple burnouts with my dac on dry pavement at will on the stock tires. I have 3.92 gears in mine, so that helps i guess. All i did to my truck was E3 spark plugs and a K&N drop in filter.

Well, it's a one tire fryer as it's an open rear diff as well, but it's possible.

I even entered a burnout contest and everyone laughed at me when i pulled up, but i impressed them all... i didn't win or even come close, but everyone was impressed that my truck did so much smoke. It was billowing out from the other side of the bed when i finally stopped. Before i got my tires swapped, i found a nice patch of pavement (which is tough in Northern Ontario in January) and pretty much burned the tread off those crappy SR/A tires. The Grabbers i have on it now are too grippy to be able to do a burnout on dry pavement. I think warped my rotors by pressing my brakes so hard trying to get the rear loose. They weren't warped before i tried my last dry pavement burn out with my grabbers.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
i've done multiple burnouts with my dac on dry pavement at will on the stock tires. I have 3.92 gears in mine, so that helps i guess. All i did to my truck was E3 spark plugs and a K&N drop in filter.

Well, it's a one tire fryer as it's an open rear diff as well, but it's possible.

I even entered a burnout contest and everyone laughed at me when i pulled up, but i impressed them all... i didn't win or even come close, but everyone was impressed that my truck did so much smoke. It was billowing out from the other side of the bed when i finally stopped. Before i got my tires swapped, i found a nice patch of pavement (which is tough in Northern Ontario in January) and pretty much burned the tread off those crappy SR/A tires. The Grabbers i have on it now are too grippy to be able to do a burnout on dry pavement. I think warped my rotors by pressing my brakes so hard trying to get the rear loose. They weren't warped before i tried my last dry pavement burn out with my grabbers.
Weird. I heard that these won't do it. It's probably your gears and open diff. Mines 3.55 with limited slip. That's besides the point, I don't care to do a burn out, I was only saying it ad a comparison.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Putting on larger injectors will only result in your truck running extremely rich with out a tune. You will literally smell unburned, raw gas out of the tailpipes.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oops, I forgot the second part of my post.

JKeaton is correct, it will do nothing to the truck other then make it throw codes. larger injectors would only be needed if doing something that required more fuel, like a turbo, or NOS. without the need for more fuel, you will kill and/or clog your catalytic converters in no time and in result, possibly the rest of the engine. and from what i hear, the 3.7 doesn't like power adders.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

The computer will compensate for the rich condition, that not the point. Someone else on the forum did it with no issues. Go search for the other post, probably a few years old tho. They believe that it is the spray pattern that makes the difference. Just wondering if anybody else has done this and what injectors you have used because I want to use my 2v injectors while the other post used 3v injectors.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Nick Whalen did it on his, but he ran rich. But, yes the computer will eventually compensate for the extra fuel, and then it's really doing nothing by changing them in the first place. I bought a set for mine but never installed them after reading the various schools of thought. Seems like lots of opinions on the issue though.

Some threads:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...injectors.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-28-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I would agree, stay with the injectors that vehicle came with.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the ford injectors on my 4.7, they have a much better spray pattern and with my motor work, 125 shot and tune work extremely well. but they are not recommended for the 6 cyl.

Quick Reply: 4.6 injectors on 3.7