3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

IPod and Mediacenter 430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Kent Layton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it's the same update. My Durango's build date is Feb-11, so I'm not sure what the whole deal is. I'll ask them about it when I go in, and if the second update has a different number, I will post it back here for you. (If they let me see it.)

The Gracenote thing is entirely ridiculous - it never puts artwork up there to an album I don't own, but it doesn't matter how many tracks the disc has. It'll put up the artwork to a five-track disc when it's playing one of 15 tracks. Curious.

I'm not sure what the issue with the 2nd-row seat heater on the left side is. Sensor ... electrical ... computer. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, only re-starting the vehicle will sometimes get it to work right again. Very strange.

At any rate, I'll keep you guys posted on the iPod update! Thanks for everything!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I knew there was an addendum to the 1st update coming but I wasn't expecting to see that TSB go out till next week but it went out on Oct 26th. Here's the scoop:

This update is an addendum to the original TSB that was released on June 29th. What makes this different is that the original TSB had a couple of issues:
1) the supported build date was 4-18-2011, vehicles built prior to that date had a SW version of 43.1.10 & 43.1.20. In late March, they had started putting in a module that had SW version 43.1.30 in the vehicles. The 43.1.30 module was not written into the TSB SW update so when some people went to the dealer to have the TSB performed, it wouldn't take. (I have helped several people here and on a couple other forums with this issue). So now customers that don't frequent the forums can also go to the dealers and have the update done that several of you here have been able to perform yourselves.
2) The supported build date has been extended from 4-18-2011 to 6-1-2011 and includes the support of the 43.1.30 SW.
3) The instructions were too long and a LOT of the techs would not take the proper time to read and understand the instructions, this would cause an issue when a customer came in for the update only to be PO'd when they picked up the vehicle and found out the the same issues were present as when they dropped of the vehicle. Some techs thought that just because the downloaded the file to a thumb drive that it was also sent to the vehicle. (this is because some of their modules are able to be flashed wireless with their Wi - tech tool) but the instructions were clear about downloading the file then placing the thumb drive in the USB hub in the console or the glove box. So the instructions were shortened a little.
4) If I have already helped you with your system or you have been a luck one that was taken care of at the dealer, then you do not need to perform this update. It will do nothing new. If you try, then you will get an error message about the archive is not correct. This will because you are trying to update from the new SW version of 43.1.40 to a SW version of 43.1.40 and the 43.1.40 is not a supported SW to be updated from.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Deluca1123

xsdbs, I know i am in the wrong part of the forums for this, as I have a 4th Gen 2011 Ram that was manufactured in May of 2011. I however have Uconnect issues also. I have an Iphone 4 that has had 4.3.3, 4.3.5, and now IOS 5, and still have the following issues with my uconnect.

USB streaming: takes a long time sometimes to read, and is hit and miss between songs, usually cutting off the first second or two of the beginnig of songs. I also find it quite slow to browse or change between songs. I have the 430 RBZ, in my truck which is not a Harman Becker unit, but made by Mitsubishi. Can't find any updates for this. Also the Uconnect module is SW version 63.01.23, also no updates.

Bluetooth Audio: Distorted highs and poor sound overall. This is where I am really disappointed with Ram's Uconnect. The quote from their site for 2011 models says: "Leave the cords at home. Now you can wirelessly stream music from your phone or Bluetooth-enabled music device - whether it's in your backseat or your back pocket." Did they forget to mention that the audio would be worse sounding than an AM radio?? It is ok for voice and podcasts, but completely un passable for music. I see a lot of people saying how the Uconnect's bluetooth audio is poor and distorted on other forums, yet, I see no one making any progress with this?

I know it has something to do with bitpool rates, but Uconnect must be using old old bluetooth 1.1 technology if this is the case. I doubt that they make a bluetooth 2.1 chip that doesn't support high quality a2dp stereo streaming. I have a belkin bluetooth receiver that I use with my home stereo and my ipod touch and Iphone, and it sounds as good or comparable to CD quality. I had a 300.00 Kenwood CD with built in Parrot bluetooth that I purchased in 2008 in my old ram 1500, and it's bluetooth was superior as well, basically cd quality and as good as the direct connection. All I have seen around the forums about the distorted audio issue are quotes saying how the phone manufacturers are ahead of uconnect. This is not true, as bluetooth audio is bluetooth audio. I have not done any sort of updates to the other units that I have and their quality is 10 times that of the Uconnect's as far as streaming is concerned. I assume you have some sort of contact with Dodge, as you seem to know a lot about the firmware/software updates. Maybe this can be passed along to them?

Last edited by Deluca1123; 11-06-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Well, when the SW was written for the 2011 vehicles, the majority of the phones were still using a bitpool of 15 - 28 so that is where the Uconnect system stayed. (the amount of Androids were much fewer than now and Apple even supported a lower bitpool then). Uconnect does use a 2.1 BT chip. Apple & the Androids have started using a bitpool of about 35. Since most of the newer phones have 1 of these 2 operating systems, Uconnect has also started supporting a higher bitpool rate. However this has only recently been done and is scheduled for MY12.5 vehicles. I am currently looking into a couple things about this issue and when I have more information, I will post it here.

Originally Posted by Deluca1123
xsdbs, I know i am in the wrong part of the forums for this, as I have a 4th Gen 2011 Ram that was manufactured in May of 2011. I however have Uconnect issues also. I have an Iphone 4 that has had 4.3.3, 4.3.5, and now IOS 5, and still have the following issues with my uconnect.

USB streaming: takes a long time sometimes to read, and is hit and miss between songs, usually cutting off the first second or two of the beginnig of songs. I also find it quite slow to browse or change between songs. I have the 430 RBZ, in my truck which is not a Harman Becker unit, but made by Mitsubishi. Can't find any updates for this. Also the Uconnect module is SW version 63.01.23, also no updates.

Bluetooth Audio: Distorted highs and poor sound overall. This is where I am really disappointed with Ram's Uconnect. The quote from their site for 2011 models says: "Leave the cords at home. Now you can wirelessly stream music from your phone or Bluetooth-enabled music device - whether it's in your backseat or your back pocket." Did they forget to mention that the audio would be worse sounding than an AM radio?? It is ok for voice and podcasts, but completely un passable for music. I see a lot of people saying how the Uconnect's bluetooth audio is poor and distorted on other forums, yet, I see no one making any progress with this?

I know it has something to do with bitpool rates, but Uconnect must be using old old bluetooth 1.1 technology if this is the case. I doubt that they make a bluetooth 2.1 chip that doesn't support high quality a2dp stereo streaming. I have a belkin bluetooth receiver that I use with my home stereo and my ipod touch and Iphone, and it sounds as good or comparable to CD quality. I had a 300.00 Kenwood CD with built in Parrot bluetooth that I purchased in 2008 in my old ram 1500, and it's bluetooth was superior as well, basically cd quality and as good as the direct connection. All I have seen around the forums about the distorted audio issue are quotes saying how the phone manufacturers are ahead of uconnect. This is not true, as bluetooth audio is bluetooth audio. I have not done any sort of updates to the other units that I have and their quality is 10 times that of the Uconnect's as far as streaming is concerned. I assume you have some sort of contact with Dodge, as you seem to know a lot about the firmware/software updates. Maybe this can be passed along to them?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Kent Layton

Well, I just wanted to let everyone here know that my car went in midweek and came out with a fully functioning iPod interface! It works perfectly now, and I don't think it would have happened without the suggestions and information I received here. Thanks, everyone!

Kent

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM
xsdbs
Captain

hey Kent, Glad it got taken care of. What about the grace notes? Did the do a SW update on the radio?

Originally Posted by Kent Layton
Well, I just wanted to let everyone here know that my car went in midweek and came out with a fully functioning iPod interface! It works perfectly now, and I don't think it would have happened without the suggestions and information I received here. Thanks, everyone!

Kent

Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
2011HEAT
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Used the bluetooth streaming from my wife's new HTC Radar cell phone. Sound quality was nice. Way better than I expected when listening to Slacker radio. Good enough that I won't need to re-new Sirius when subscription runs out.

Also, all the complaints about sound quality I agree with. Not the best system in the 2011 D but also not bad. I will be upgrading however which seems to be the best fix.....

Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Kent Layton

XSDBS - I haven't tackled the Gracenotes issue with them yet. We still have to try and get the AWOL TravelLink thing sorted out. I'm going to start with SIRIUS on that issue and then if I can't get any satisfaction there, go back to the dealer and have them sort it out. Very frustrating.

2011HEAT - Here's a tip that might be of some use to those who are as unimpressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system as I was. After carefully examining the problem, it seemed clear that it was a lack of bass rather than poor mids and highs. So I tried something unusual: If you go into the equalizer, boost the bass slider up until near max, then place the mid- and treble-sliders to the middle. You might also try placing the balance toward the rear by a setting or two and see what you like best.

When I tried these things, it breathed a whole new life into the Alpine system. It actually sounds really nice now - or at least, a hundred times better than it used to!

Take care, everyone!

Kent

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM
xsdbs
Captain

2011Heat, Hey I'll keep you posted on a little something. The supplier for the Uconnect module for the RES, REQ, RHB & RBZ radios may be working on an SW update that will bring added features to the 2011 vehicles. You may not have to upgrade but update instead.

Originally Posted by 2011HEAT
Used the bluetooth streaming from my wife's new HTC Radar cell phone. Sound quality was nice. Way better than I expected when listening to Slacker radio. Good enough that I won't need to re-new Sirius when subscription runs out.

Also, all the complaints about sound quality I agree with. Not the best system in the 2011 D but also not bad. I will be upgrading however which seems to be the best fix.....

Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Kent, what SW version for the radio & also for grace notes do you have? Should be able to go into menu --> system set up --> system information and it should be there. I can see if there you have the current SW in the radio or not.

Originally Posted by Kent Layton
XSDBS - I haven't tackled the Gracenotes issue with them yet. We still have to try and get the AWOL TravelLink thing sorted out. I'm going to start with SIRIUS on that issue and then if I can't get any satisfaction there, go back to the dealer and have them sort it out. Very frustrating.

2011HEAT - Here's a tip that might be of some use to those who are as unimpressed by the sound quality of the Alpine system as I was. After carefully examining the problem, it seemed clear that it was a lack of bass rather than poor mids and highs. So I tried something unusual: If you go into the equalizer, boost the bass slider up until near max, then place the mid- and treble-sliders to the middle. You might also try placing the balance toward the rear by a setting or two and see what you like best.

When I tried these things, it breathed a whole new life into the Alpine system. It actually sounds really nice now - or at least, a hundred times better than it used to!

Take care, everyone!

Kent

Quick Reply: IPod and Mediacenter 430?