3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

IPod and Mediacenter 430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:26 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent Layton
OK, my first post here. Over the summer, I purchased a new '11 Durango Citadel with the 430N (RHB) media center. I test drove several different Durangos of different levels; some had the 430N, some had the 730. My 3rd Gen iPod Touch 64GB would not play through Bluetooth or the cable properly on any of the Durangos equipped with the 430. It always worked with the 730-equipped vehicles - both via Bluetooth and via the USB cable in the armrest. (I am fully aware that only the one in the armrest will allow you to play music off your iPod, and that the dash-port is not for the same thing, although it will charge the unit.)

On the 430's, it will always pair the Bluetooth, and allow you to begin playing. However, it skips and plays at high speed. When you attempt to plug it in using the cable, it hangs on a message screen of "reading" for 30-40 seconds, before finally coming up with the "Error" message.

Eventually, I bought a Durango that happened to have a 430 (the dealer was willing to deal on it). The issue that plagued all 430N's on the test drive is on this one, as well. I've tried different cables (always in the armrest-USB port), and it makes no difference what cable I use. However, twice now, it has worked. Once, it worked perfectly (could scan my iPod's contents on the touch screen and it played perfectly, too); the second time, I could scan the contents, but it played backwards. Literally. When I picked up the car, and it didn't work, the salesman tried to plug his own iPod in, with identical results.

I've been to my dealer a half-dozen times, and their eyes glaze over every time I try to explain the problem. They blame the iPod, and say that they wish cars only had AM radios these days. They searched for TSB's and recalls, and claim to have found nothing.

I am convinced this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. The dealer says Apple just moved to fast for Dodge; I told them that's rubbish - this is a 3rd Gen, and it's two years old now. The car is only a few months old ... and it always works on the 730 systems. They said: "Try to find the cause of the problem yourself."

Any suggestions...? Thanks!
Kent,

I will look into your issue with the radio, but first I would like to clarify something. In your first sentence you indicated you bought a 430N (RHB). In the third paragraph you said 430. Was that a typo? If you want to PM me your VIN that has the radio in question I can run it by one of the engineers here and find out if there is a fix or known cause for the problem you are having.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the thing that we need to think about is that the dealer is (only a little correct) that Apple moves to fast. You see when the SW is written for a module (such as uconnect and others), devices are tested at that time with the current SW that is in the device. You can't test with an updated SW that is not available. So a device may have passed with the SW that was in the device when the module was originally designed and possibly have issues at a later date when the device company comes out with a new update. This has happened several times with companies like Apple, Samsung, HTC, LG & the list can go on. Just like there are people right now that have the 730N radio and have updated their perfectly good working IPhone with SW 4.3.5 to the (WOW) new improved ios 5.0 and now it doesn't work at all (but does on the 430N).
When the 2011 Uconnect was being designed, Apple had the 3.1.3 & 4.1 SW in the Ipod and passed testing.When the 4.2 and up SW became available is when they started having issues. (Apple was not interested in fixing the problem) Now the 2011 vehicles were released, customers bought the vehicles, found out that their Ipods stoppped working correctly with a new update. This took awhile for the issue to be generated from customer to Customer care to Chrysler service depts to managers to district managers to Engineers etc. However in March 2011 an update was given to Chrysler, they had to validate it, do time studies for the technicians who would be performing the updates then release it to the Service depts. This was done on June 29th, the TSB is 08-011-36 and can be performed by the dealers service depts. As you may also (now) realize is that the Owners Manual was written before Apple provided the public with their new updates.
The 430N wasn't the only radio with the issues either, the 730N radio was also inop with the Apple products (touch & IPhone's).
Do you know if the vehicle has had the Uconnect update performed on it?
A couple ways that you can tell is:
1) ask the dealer,
2) When you plug the Ipod into the docking cable, do you get the "error occurred" message?

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Kent, if it is in the manual, and it says it is supposed to work... and doesn't, it is their problem. Tell them to fix it or take it back as a Lemon. That simple.

If it isn't specifically indicated in the manual to work with the iPod, and it DOES work with other brands, you are stuck with what you get.

There are radio flashes you can use to perhaps improve the usability and feature set.

Also, you have a crappy dealer. Make their life hell, they have deserved it.

IndyDurango

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Kent Layton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Kent,

I will look into your issue with the radio, but first I would like to clarify something. In your first sentence you indicated you bought a 430N (RHB). In the third paragraph you said 430. Was that a typo? If you want to PM me your VIN that has the radio in question I can run it by one of the engineers here and find out if there is a fix or known cause for the problem you are having.
Haha - good catch. Yup, I forgot to add the "N" the second time. It's an RHB, 430N. The iPod in question is 3rd Gen. iPod touch 64 GB with the latest software installed.

The other thing I failed to mention - and may or may not be related - has to do with the Gracenote album art on the HDD end of the unit. It brings up the album art as I rip from each disc to the hard drive, but the problem is, it displays random album art from other discs I've burned instead of the actual album that's playing. For example, if I'm playing "Gladiator," it brings up the cover art for "Crimson Tide" instead. I have both discs ripped in - but it brings up the wrong one.

Just figured I would mention it in case it helps someone to have a 'light bulb' moment on what's going on. Everything else about the stereo system works great, that I'm aware of at least.

Take care!

Best wishes,
Kent

Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Kent Layton

Originally Posted by xsdbs
When the 2011 Uconnect was being designed, Apple had the 3.1.3 & 4.1 SW in the Ipod and passed testing.When the 4.2 and up SW became available is when they started having issues. (Apple was not interested in fixing the problem) Now the 2011 vehicles were released, customers bought the vehicles, found out that their Ipods stoppped working correctly with a new update. This took awhile for the issue to be generated from customer to Customer care to Chrysler service depts to managers to district managers to Engineers etc. However in March 2011 an update was given to Chrysler, they had to validate it, do time studies for the technicians who would be performing the updates then release it to the Service depts. This was done on June 29th, the TSB is 08-011-36 and can be performed by the dealers service depts. As you may also (now) realize is that the Owners Manual was written before Apple provided the public with their new updates.
The 430N wasn't the only radio with the issues either, the 730N radio was also inop with the Apple products (touch & IPhone's).
Do you know if the vehicle has had the Uconnect update performed on it?
A couple ways that you can tell is:
1) ask the dealer,
2) When you plug the Ipod into the docking cable, do you get the "error occurred" message?
Hey, and thanks for the response! I'm stunned that the TSB was released, because the service department at my local dealer couldn't find it when they were looking yesterday ... I don't even see it listed anywhere else, either! Wow, thanks for sharing that detail! I called the dealer, and told them the TSB number, and they were stunned and said they would look it up. Is this TSB the same thing as the Uconnect update you refer to? If they're two different things, I'll ask them about the Uconnect update, as well.

And yeah, when I plug the iPod into the cable, I get the "error occurred" message of doom.

Thanks, everyone!

Best,
Kent

Old 10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey, and thanks for the response! I'm stunned that the TSB was released, because the service department at my local dealer couldn't find it when they were looking yesterday ... I don't even see it listed anywhere else, either! Wow, thanks for sharing that detail! I called the dealer, and told them the TSB number, and they were stunned and said they would look it up. Is this TSB the same thing as the Uconnect update you refer to? If they're two different things, I'll ask them about the Uconnect update, as well.

And yeah, when I plug the iPod into the cable, I get the "error occurred" message of doom.

Thanks, everyone!

Best,
Kent
Kent,

I found the same thing and here is a copy of it below. Hope this helps....

NUMBER: 08-036-11
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 29, 2011

SUBJECT:
iPod and iPhone Compatibility Issues
OVERVIEW:
This Bulletin involves performing a USB service flash of the Hands Free Module (HFM).
MODELS:
2011 (LC) Challenger
2011 (MK) Compass / Patriot
2011 (PM) Caliber
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011 (W2) Grand Cherokee
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (KK) Liberty
2011 (K1) Cherokee
2011 (KA) Nitro
2011 (JS) Avenger / 200
2011 (DS) 1500 Pickup
2011 (DJ) 2500 Pickup
2011 (D2) 3500 Pickup
2011 (DD) 3500 Cab Chassis
2011 (DP) 4500/5500 Cab Chassis
2011 (DX) 1500 Pickup (Mexico)
2011 (JK) Wrangler
2011 (J3) Wrangler (CKD)
2011 (RT) Grand Caravan / Town & Country
NUMBER: 08-036-11
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 29, 2011
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to April 18, 2011 (MDH 0418XX)
equipped with UCONNECT VOICE COMMAND W/BLUETOOTH (sales code
RSP, RSQ for international) and without MEDIA CENTER 730N
CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code RER or RHR) or MEDIA CENTER 735N
CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REW or RHW) or MEDIA CENTER 731N
CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REP) or AM/FM CD MP3 NAV RADIO - ROW
(sales code RHP) .
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience the following:
· The message “connecting to device” is displayed on Apple iTouch, iPod, or iPhone
when connected to the vehicle USB port, but the device will not sync to the HFM to
play audio.
· iPhone 4 audio will drop out and skip during a streaming audio session.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Kent Layton

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Kent,

I found the same thing and here is a copy of it below. Hope this helps....
Chris,

This should be enormously helpful. I've called the service department of my local dealer, and given them both numbers (the digits are transposed from the two sources, but everything else seems to be the same, including the release date). Hopefully they will look one of the two up and do the update for us.

If they don't do it, I'll download the file and do it myself. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. Thanks for your help!

Kent

Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Kent, Yes this is the Uconnect update that we have been discussing and it is the same that has been posted by Dodge cares. It really is amazing that it has been out since June 29th and dealers still say that it's not available.
Would you mind telling me the name and location of this dealer?
As for Grace notes, it does seem to be a hit or miss for the art work. I have Grace note BA1 now and it's still not 100% but much closer that what I did get before the update for the radio. (which will have nothing to do with Uconnect).

Thanks, everyone!

Best,
Kent

Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
xsdbs
Captain

ooppps, yeah, looks like I got fast fingered there. Sorry about the confusion.

Chris,

This should be enormously helpful. I've called the service department of my local dealer, and given them both numbers (the digits are transposed from the two sources, but everything else seems to be the same, including the release date). Hopefully they will look one of the two up and do the update for us.

If they don't do it, I'll download the file and do it myself. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. Thanks for your help!

Kent

Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Kent Layton

This is great news, guys. I talked to the local CDJ service department - it's located in Auburn, NY - yesterday and again today. They took the numbers yesterday, and today they said they managed to find it. In fact, they said that they not only found the June 29th update, but that they found a second update on the same system. So we made an appointment for them to take care of it next week.

This dealer is usually fantastic at checking anything wrong with the engine, transmission, or anything else that could go wrong. But they seem to have some issues with the tech end of the vehicles. I wonder if they couldn't find the 6/29 TSB because they were looking in their system under "iPod" when it is apparently filed under "UConnect"? If so, that could explain why some service departments are not aware of the issue.

Now if they could only fix the Gracenote artwork display and the 2nd row seat heater...

Thanks for everything! I'll let you know how things go next week!

Best wishes,
Kent

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Kent, you mentioned a 2nd update, do you know if this is the same TSB but with an addendum to it? I had found a couple of issues with the 1st TSB and it had an addendum written for it. I was told that it would be released next week. You will want to have the addendum update performed if your vehicle build date is after 4-18-2011.
As for the grace notes thing, it may never get 100% correct. This because of how the data is read from a disc. It's not real scientific because it generates a checksum based on # and length of tracks, then runs it thru the data base. It's possible to have different combinations result in the same final number. It's rare, but possible.
As for the rear heater working, I can't help you there (unless there's something under the seat blocking the air flow, just kidding).

This is great news, guys. I talked to the local CDJ service department - it's located in Auburn, NY - yesterday and again today. They took the numbers yesterday, and today they said they managed to find it. In fact, they said that they not only found the June 29th update, but that they found a second update on the same system. So we made an appointment for them to take care of it next week.

This dealer is usually fantastic at checking anything wrong with the engine, transmission, or anything else that could go wrong. But they seem to have some issues with the tech end of the vehicles. I wonder if they couldn't find the 6/29 TSB because they were looking in their system under "iPod" when it is apparently filed under "UConnect"? If so, that could explain why some service departments are not aware of the issue.

Now if they could only fix the Gracenote artwork display and the 2nd row seat heater...

Thanks for everything! I'll let you know how things go next week!

Best wishes,
Kent

Quick Reply: IPod and Mediacenter 430?