3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Noticable engine surge at low speeds, transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 AM
1bbdurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticable engine surge at low speeds, transmission?

I have searched but no one is having the issues I am, I have a 2011 Awd citadel, Hemi, 6speed, with 7000mile so far, about 2 months ago my first problem started I could hear, feel and see (tach 50-150 rpm) the engine surge, not enough for my passengers to notice. It is happening more often and the other day it was jumping 300-400 rpms and was noticed by everyone. It usually occurs on a slight incline 30-50mph with light throttle.

Issue two: 2 weeks ago we were heading up a mountain in Tn, it was raining hard and I made a right turn into an incline drive and it felt like the engine had died. I gave it more and more gas until I guess it finally down shifted with a harsh bang and a jerk (wife asked me what I did). I could not hear the engine because of the rain and I did not look at the Tach because I was worried about the car behind us. I am thinking it is failing to down shift when it needs to, so maybe a sensor or switch, converter? I do not have the drone that others have, or acting like it is slipping from a stop. I have had (3-5 times) a little pop like the tire broke traction for a split second, I took it to be the Awd but now I'm not sure. I love the vehicle but do not want to worry when the family is in the car. I am also concerned that I will experience the performance loss that another poster complained of when they received an update. It's going in on Monday for some other minor issues, but if I can offer some suggestions or show the dealer that I am not the only one having these issues it might help.

Unrelated to the above issue has anyone else experienced a lack of cooling from the AC system, I have the front at 60 and it only feels cool, the manager already said its because of the large cabin but they would check it (my 98 4runner blows it away).
I would appreciate any suggestions or help, Thank You

Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Regarding the cooling, the only thing typical is dealers try to dismiss a problem as normal. My 2012 Citadel AC cools decently fast, and I've got the black interior.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is a TSB that may apply, You need to check with your local dealer.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Driveability And Transmission And Heating And A/C Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new
software.
MODELS:
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to WK vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine
(Sales Code EZH) and 545RFE transmission (Sales Code DGQ) built before
April 4, 2011 (MDH 0404XX).
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to WD vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine
(Sales Code EZH) and 545RFE transmission (Sales Code DGQ) built before
May 10, 2011 (MDH 0510XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may notice any of the following;
Heating And A/C Improvements
a. A/C not cooling enough or feel a warm air burst. This condition happens if 3 to 4
wide open throttle event happen during the same drive cycle or when towing a
trailer. (WK Body Only)
b. Heater warm-up time is too slow at or below 14° F (-10° C). Idle RPM has been
increased for improved heater warm-up times. (WK Body Only)
c. Loud cooling fan or fan run on high for long periords with the A/C on. (WK and WD
Bodies)
NUMBER: 18-035-11
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: July 11, 2011
Driveability Improvements
a. Fuel odor. This condition is noticeable in hot ambient temperatures, while towing a
trailer or in stop or go city traffic. Purge flow has been increased. (WK Body Only)
b. Lacks Performance. Some driving conditions can produce circumstances where
some customers may perceive more pedal effort is required to get the Powertrain to
accelerate the vehicle as desired. The PCM calibration for pedal vs. torque
relationship was changed to allow for more torque delivery at less pedal effort/travel.
(WK Body only)
c. Knock sound. This condition happens on heavy throttle input or entry into or out of
MDS modes. The spark knock calibration has been changed to accommodate these
conditions. (WK Body Only)
d. Drone sound while operating in MDS V4 mode at steady state driving, anywhere
between the speeds of 35 to 60 mph (56 to 96 kph). (WD Body Only)
e. EVIC fuel economy calculation improvements. (WD Body Only)
f. Cruise Control cancels without driver input while in ACC mode at about 5800 RPM.
To correct this condition the cruise control cancel mode RPM limit has been raised.
(WK Body Only)
Transmission Improvements:
a. Bump feeling or clunk sound in 4WD Low during a coast down. This condition
happens at speeds between 5 to 30 mph followed by the driver letting off on the
throttle (Decel). (WK Body International Vehicles Only)
b. Too high vehicle speed needed before shifting from 3rd - 4th gear. (WK and WD
Bodies)
c. Shudder or shake feeling on wide open throttle stab. (WK and WD Bodies)
d. Harsh 1-2 upshift. (WK and WD Bodies)
e. Unexpected or busy downshift with a raise in engine speed while coasting at
between 45 and 48 mph (72 to 77 kph). (WD Body Only)

Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
1bbdurango

Thanks for the reply's, my digital temp gun says the vent is putting out 52 degrees but it just does not feel like it, outside temp was 88 and overcast. I also noticed the rear vents do not blow cold until I move down the road.
I was trying to narrow down my surging at 35mph going up a mild incline and giving it a little bit more throttle it starts surging almost every time, but never as bad as the other day 300-400 rpms, I just think it is not down shifting when it needs to. Mine is a later build 2011 so I will check on the transmission. I guess we will see what happens at the dealer, I will post what I find out.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
1bbdurango

Well I got the truck back and the dealer found an update for the transmission, so far so good it is defiantly down shifting better so I will put some more miles on it to make sure its good. No loss of performance like another post had complained about and it almost seemed a little more peppy (or just the big difference from driving the 4 runner). They also added 2 units of freon and it now cools like it should. I will update if anything changes.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
2012sxt
Professional

Originally Posted by 1bbdurango
Well I got the truck back and the dealer found an update for the transmission, so far so good it is defiantly down shifting better so I will put some more miles on it to make sure its good. No loss of performance like another post had complained about and it almost seemed a little more peppy (or just the big difference from driving the 4 runner). They also added 2 units of freon and it now cools like it should. I will update if anything changes.
i would be concerned that they added freon...where did the old freon go? You may have a leak somewhere in the system...did tehy put a leak detection liquid in with the freon so you will be able to find the leak next time it stops cooling as well?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Didhefocus
Professional

It's possible that the A/C wasn't completely charged from the factory!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bbdurango
1BB,

Hopefully your issues have been resolved. Please update the thread if the issue returns.

Quick Reply: Noticable engine surge at low speeds, transmission?