Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:02 PM
whipkeysd
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an 08 also and I think the power of the 4.7 is great and with tranny improvements I would be even more pleased.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more.

Hey Sil, any updates on how the current testers are goin ? I've seen some pretty nice video's lately . . . keep it up

Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by whipkeysd
I know it's still a lil while before you get to the 4.7s but are there going to be beta testers needed for this application?
Possibly. If so and if Scott asks me for another list, I'll keep you folks in mind.

4.7 (04-08) will get the transmission functions as well.

Sil

Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 AM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

hey silshemi, how about for the manual 4.7's lol! we need some kind of torque managment imp. as well lmfao

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
rstan2010

I have the superchip programmer and I was wondering if it is better to run the 87 Economy mode or the 91 Performance mode for better fuel economy. I have a 2006 2500 Hemi.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

So due to some temporary issues with my tuner I've found myself back in stock tune.
The difference is so huge that I'm going to get up early tomorrow to program my truck before I go to work, and I normally wake up at 530.

Beta testing is going well, but SC is releasing more and more features/functions/options even as we test!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by rstan2010
I have the superchip programmer and I was wondering if it is better to run the 87 Economy mode or the 91 Performance mode for better fuel economy. I have a 2006 2500 Hemi.
The question sort of answers itself. One tune is called "econonmy" and one is called "performance". Which one do you suppose is best for performance?

Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

update
we (beta testers) have created some aids to help us and make sure there aren't any problems with driveability when modifying shift points. you can punch in your shift points and see where an upshift and downshift may be too close for your liking, or see what gear you would end up in at a given speed when you put the throttle down to a certain level.
we'll post these files/aids up when all the testing is done and SC goes live with the software.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
update
we (beta testers) have created some aids to help us and make sure there aren't any problems with driveability when modifying shift points. you can punch in your shift points and see where an upshift and downshift may be too close for your liking, or see what gear you would end up in at a given speed when you put the throttle down to a certain level.
we'll post these files/aids up when all the testing is done and SC goes live with the software.
They do make the dialing in of the shifts a much easier process.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
SC added yet another great new feature to the trans options- arrows showing the stock shift points as well as the relationship of your adjustments to stock. This feature will significantly ease the learning curve for new users!

If you guys pay attention to where those arrows are, you can learn a lot about how your trans is set up. Specifically, what you do like vs don't like, and then tune from there.

What I found most interesting, although not surprising, is how non linear the stock trans shifting/programming actually is. That is why sometimes you have to stab the pedal hard to force a downshift, and other times they happen unexpectedly. It's almost as if they just randomly programed the shift points.

Curiously, some of my downshifts were actually less sensitive than stock. My first inclination was to change them in relation to the stock tuning. However, it occured to me that the last thing I want to do is emulate the stock schedule by simply making it more aggressive, yet just as unpredictable.

Whatever you guys do for programming, I recommend you put it on paper, maybe even graph it if you feel nerdy enough. This stuff makes a lot more sense when you can see all of the shifts together, as opposed to one gear/tp% at a time.

A smooth progressive schedule makes for a very natural feel, vs the erratic, unpredictable feel of the stock tune.

Here are a few pictures to give a visual perspective of what George noted above when this feature was added. As you can see, you'll have some guidance.

Stock 1 up shift schedule @ 11.76%
Name:  stock.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  85.4 KB

Move the slider to the left, you're now below stock.
Name:  user1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  100.5 KB

Move the slider to the right, you're now above stock.
Name:  user2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  91.7 KB

Shift schedule menu screen for 1 up. Notice the arrows in the menu. (Partial view)
Name:  1up_menu.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  94.6 KB

You'll have the same guidance tool for torque management.

When the beta process is complete, the testers will share their schedules. Since TP% and MPH are different across varying years, we'll have 04-08 schedules we can share with those specific years.

I want to reassure folks that we'll all be helping. There's a learning curve, but if you put time into your schedules the payoff is going to be huge. Your truck will drive better than you can imagine.

Sil

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates