Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the option of a 93 tune but no 93 gas around haha. So I'm very well satisfied with 91 over 87.

Once again any problems I may run into later on down the road running 91 24/7 instead of the recommended 87 ?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
bighornram08
Professional

So what are all the gas options?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:17 AM
whipkeysd
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's 87, 91, and 93 performance tunes for the 08 4.7s and I think the towing tune requires 91 also. Someone else can probably clear that up. I've ran all the performance tunes and have noticed a power increase progressing through each tune. Bighorn I also have an 08 4.7 4X4 and the tuner makes a very noticeable difference and just the tranny shifting alone is worth it, you won't be dissapointed. Also if you haven't ordered yet at truckcustomizers you can enter winter10 for a 10 dollar discount and if that doesn't work any more, just google coupon codes for truckcustomizers and can probably find another. That's how I found that code.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey whiskey ya know i have a 4.7 spot now in the club section called the 287 club click my link...in the sig....and silentramad running a higher octane on a lower tune is fine its the opposite your not supposed to do...

Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

A video of some in town driving under very light throttle with a user set Superchips shift schedule. 8% torque management. No WOT runs. The up shifts and downshifts are very responsive with little throttle pressure. It doesn't take much throttle to get the truck moving. Trust me, I'm not giving it much at all and it doesn't take much. The shifts are quick. The downshifts hold nicely. The feel behind the wheel is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_QHEjMQCzc

Sil

Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Originally Posted by jusjay727
hey whiskey ya know i have a 4.7 spot now in the club section called the 287 club click my link...in the sig....and silentramad running a higher octane on a lower tune is fine its the opposite your not supposed to do...
Oh sorry I didn't quite make it sound the way I wanted it to, I know that part. I run 91 with the 91 tune. It's the fact that I'm running 91 oct. instead of the manuals recommended 87. Will it have any effect on the actual engine in the long run.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 PM
whipkeysd
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you won't have any issuses with it. The manual really just says no lower than 87 and anything higher won't hurt but also won't provide any benefits over 87, so isn't recommended. From the factory 4.7s are tuned for 87 octane now with your tuner you can run higher octanes and gain performance. The same goes in reverse for the Hemi which is tuned from the factory to run 89 octane and with a tuner they are now able to run 87 safely.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having a problem with a Cortex I just aquired. I posted this over in the Superchips forums, but wondering if anyone has any insight. Here's what I wrote...

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Auto, 4x4 SLT w/ Tow package

I returned the 3815 to stock. I then updated the Cortex through the Superchips online updater. After that I hooked the tuner to the truck and install the 91 tune along with adjusting the speed limiter to 140, Rev limiter to 6100, 1-2 WOT at 5900, 3-4 WOT 5800. Also adjusted the tire size.

Now here in lies my problem. All of the the data logging portions of "Log by Distance" and "Log by Speed" does not work for me. Not matter what I do, I always end up getting the message, "Stop vehicle to initialize Run..." (this message appears for about 2 seconds), then I hear a buzzing noise similar to an old dialup modem for about 1 second while the message, "Com Error J1850 Check and Insure Ignition is on". I am getting this message while the ignition is on and then engine is running. All the "Advanced" settings under the Datalogging tab work fine for me, just the Log by Speed and Log by distance are giving me problems. I can even download the DAQs.

Any help would be great. The tuner is up to date as from just a few hours ago. Here is some additional info;

For starters, when I plug the Cortex into the OBDII port, I get the normal Cortex/DODGE Startup screen, which then transitions into a few messages. The first message is " Programmer is linked to vehicle". Following that is, "Tuning has been installed..." and then mentions that the tire and/or gearing size has been adjusted. Then I get the last message which states this,

"Tuner Status
Locked Prog w/Error
Vehicle ID 56029161AD
Cortex 3950
V1 . 19 . 02
1419053"

I'm curious what the "Locked Prog w/Error" message means?

Here's some more info,

Gas Truck DBV35

ECU NGC3

Diagnostic Comm: J1850

ECM Engine PN - 56029161AD

Also, the tuner reads and clears DTCs without a problem at all. All other functions appear to be working with no problems. I would really like this datalogging problem to be resolved if at all possible as I was pretty disappointed that my 3815 would work and do this but the updated Cortex will not.

Please let me know if I can provide anymore information to help resolve this.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

I've been playing a bit with increasing my fuel mileage yet still maintaining the seat-of-the-pants feel....

Here's a pic of what my stock shifts look like...Actually it's the Excel spreadsheet which we graph our shifts. We will have our shift schedules available for you as a starting point. We will have schedules for 04-09 and even a couple of beta testers have 4.56 gears schedules to share.

Name:  StockShifts.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  32.8 KB

Now here's what my latest shift schedule looks like...
I'm tellin' ya, you're going to love it too. Light throttle pressure and it'll drop from 5 to 4 then 4 to 3 or 5 to 3 which will keep you in the power band and, it's more efficient use of the fuel being burned. Just adding fuel by pressing harder on the throttle and not downshifting and then suddenly dropping into 2P I feel burns more fuel. It's funny, but I think the upper end shifts is where I've saved the most on fuel.

Name:  ShiftSchedule-8.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  35.2 KB

You see I've moved 2PDn to overlay 3Dn at the upper end - to prohibit downshifting into 2P at high speeds. I never liked shifting into 2P at 65MPH as my truck would whine terribly all the while it was in 2P. However, at the low end I moved 2PDn to overlay 2Dn (as stock does) because with '07+ Dodge uses 2P at light throttle as another gear and downshifts from 3 to 2P as opposed to 2. And, since 2P is slightly taller than 2 it'll save a little fuel at the lower end.

Even with the '04-'06s, you can pretty much eliminate shifting into 2P by adjusting 5Dn and 4Dn to keep your truck in the power band.

Right now I'm seeing about a .5MPG increase in mileage. It may not seem like much but, for a moose megacab, it's encouraging and I'm not driving like granny either.

I have my TM set to 10% for WOT and 8.8% for part shifts and my moose drives right through the shift. No more lag when shifting. The exception is 4th gear I have set to 30% for both WOT and part shift because, I feel, there's no need to "slam" into 4th a weaker gear.

Very tunable...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^mschuster, Nice post.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates