Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been sifting through whatever I can find on the subject, and I still don't have a clear picture here...

Does Superchips make a tuner compatible with the 2008 Ram 4.7L Automatic? If so, what tuner model is it, and what functions does it have? I love having the next gen 4.7 in my 3rd gen truck, it's a great motor, but I'd really like to throw a tuner at it & see just what's buried under the surface.

Superchips guys... I'll gladly allow my truck to be a beta test for you if need be.

My setup:
2008 Ram QCSB SLT Big Horn 4.7L Auto
Magnaflow muffler
K&N filter
soon to have an Airaid Intake tube
20" wheel & 3.92 gears

Old 04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your truck is in FL then I am sure they would love to test it. But it looks like you are in detroit. And the superchips 3815 is 1998-2008 dodge gas motors.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by hatguy
The performance tune on 91 octane vs stock tune on 89 octane was what I was thinking about. Basically, my truck is stock running 89 octane and wondering what accel difference I can expect. When I look up the HP difference for my truck it says it's only 17 HP, but I'm not sure this is really a good measure given the different shift points, octane change, etc. So, instead of looking at HP I'm trying to weigh whether it's worth the $$ based on the 0-60 effect of buying the tuner. Hope that makes sense!

well i run the tow tune and my 0-60 was 7 sec flay not to bad with my big ol' tires
i run the tow tune because the performance really dont do it for me i like low end power vs high end

Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
if your truck is in FL then I am sure they would love to test it. But it looks like you are in detroit. And the superchips 3815 is 1998-2008 dodge gas motors.
OK, so a 3815 or 3865 will work with my truck? I looked on Superchips' site, and the only choice when picking from the drop-down menus is the Hemi, but it says in the description that the 4.7L is supported?

Also, does the tuner allow all the same tuning options with the 4.7L as it does w/ the Hemi (minus anything MDS related, of course)? I've heard some things about tuners giving complete functionality with certain engines, and only limited functionality with others. I'm looking to immediately bump up the power and adjust the shift points and firmness, but I need to know if future changes in gear ratio and tire size will be supported as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
taker24
Professional

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
i run the tow tune because the performance really dont do it for me i like low end power vs high end
Is this the actual difference in the 2 tunes? or is this just your personal preference?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taker24
Is this the actual difference in the 2 tunes? or is this just your personal preference?
I just tried the tow tune today and did some 0-60 runs. I found it to be consistently about .2 sec slower than on the performance tune. I am going to try some regular driving with it to see how the shifting feels as compared to the performance tune.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by taker24

personal pref. i like more off the line and my tow set up gets me that . feels like i have 4:57's.
the performance tune IMO is good if you do mostly hi rpm drivin like 60 mph plus

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 PM
taker24
Professional

I installed my 3865 this weekend. Everything went good, I updated the flashpaq then installed the 87 tune on my truck (2008 1500, 5.7 hemi). The only thing I changed was I disabled mds, all of the other options I left as they were in the programmer. I definitely noticed a difference driving, especially in the higher rpm, but the lower rpm performance didn't change that much. Overall I am impressed, and I think I will start adjusting things to get it exactly how I like it. Also want to try the tow & performance tunes.
Couple questions: when I go to change the tune do I just plug the programmer back in, select 87, then change what I want, then save this new tune? (I think I read on here somewhere that you don't have to go back to the stock tune first, you just make your changes)
How about another sticky where everyone can post what tune they are running and what adjustments they made, ie: mds on/off, rpm limit, wot rpm #'s, etc.? I would love to read what is working really good for everyone.
I do like the better response in the higher rpm range and the 60mph & up range, but I think that will get me in trouble quickly! I am thinking better response from the lower rpm range is what I am looking for.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
taker24
Professional

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I was doing some reading up on the DSP to see what kind of options they are offering their users and when I saw what they are offering in terms of part throttle shift control it made me say wow. It looks like they can control the part throttle shifts based on the percentage of throttle being used. For instance you can have it shift at 2000 when you are at 20% throttle and 3500 when you are at 50% throttle. And it is totally user adjustable so the driver can set it to meet their driving style. Are we ever going to get something like this bc I think everyone would love to have the ability to adjust the way their truck shifts to meet their driving style.
I have only used my SC for a few days, but I can clearly see this would be a great option to have. Hopefully it is available to us in the near future.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UP_Boilermaker
OK, so a 3815 or 3865 will work with my truck? I looked on Superchips' site, and the only choice when picking from the drop-down menus is the Hemi, but it says in the description that the 4.7L is supported?

Also, does the tuner allow all the same tuning options with the 4.7L as it does w/ the Hemi (minus anything MDS related, of course)? I've heard some things about tuners giving complete functionality with certain engines, and only limited functionality with others. I'm looking to immediately bump up the power and adjust the shift points and firmness, but I need to know if future changes in gear ratio and tire size will be supported as well.
You can only adjust WOT shift points not partial shift points. That goes for all motors with SC.

And as far as tires goes you can adjust that, gears need no adjusting on the computer. You just swap them out in the axle.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates